rian rian

asked for proof of domicile

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

good evening/morning

petitioned my daughter

interview date around may 2017 they ask for proof of domicile because i stayed for 2yrs in the philippines. 

reason for staying that long is to finish school. i sold my stuffs back in the state except my identity :D. so i dont have any other stuff to show them except for asking sympathy. i told them the reason why i went back in philippines is to finish my studies to have better future for my family. 

any idea of what my chances are for getting an OKEY sign from immigration? how long does it take for them to respond from "proof of domicile"? 

thanks in advance for the help

Filed: Country:
Timeline

they need more than your word that you are going to move back to the us.

what they want to see are jobs in the us, rental agreement or deed for an apartment/house in the us, property in the us. essentially things that would compel you to go back to the us and would financially hurt you if you did not. things like plane tickets can easily be canceled and most of the money gotten back and bank accounts don't care where you are so they don't establish your intent to return. the visa is for family reunification and there is no reunification if you are not in the us.

side note you must enter at the same time or before the immigrant or else they can be denied entry.

are you a lpr or usc? if you are a lpr I hope you hot a reentry permit since you have been out of the us for so long.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, f f said:

they need more than your word that you are going to move back to the us.

what they want to see are jobs in the us, rental agreement or deed for an apartment/house in the us, property in the us. essentially things that would compel you to go back to the us and would financially hurt you if you did not. things like plane tickets can easily be canceled and most of the money gotten back and bank accounts don't care where you are so they don't establish your intent to return. the visa is for family reunification and there is no reunification if you are not in the us.

side note you must enter at the same time or before the immigrant or else they can be denied entry.

are you a lpr or usc? if you are a lpr I hope you hot a reentry permit since you have been out of the us for so long.

thanks for the quick reply.

usc.. so my only option is to go back and work?? any idea how long they will respond or asking for more proof?

You need to provide evidence you are reestablishing your domicile.  Do you have a place to live in the USA? Job offer? Bank accounts? Anything? If you cant establish these things from abroad then yes, you will need to return to do get those.  We cannot give you a timeframe on how long it will take USEM to get back to you or if they will require more evidence.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
7 minutes ago, NikLR said:

You need to provide evidence you are reestablishing your domicile.  Do you have a place to live in the USA? Job offer? Bank accounts? Anything? If you cant establish these things from abroad then yes, you will need to return to do get those.  We cannot give you a timeframe on how long it will take USEM to get back to you or if they will require more evidence.  

yeah i gots many places to live for the time being my dad, my aunt, my wife's relatives, my couzin.. no job offer yet because i havent finished school yet and i closed all my cc and my bank

2 hours ago, rian rian said:

yeah i gots many places to live for the time being my dad, my aunt, my wife's relatives, my couzin.. no job offer yet because i havent finished school yet and i closed all my cc and my bank

You need to provide a letter stating you both will live there from whomever you are going to live with.  Make a choice.  Provide for your spouse.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Country:
Timeline

a simple letter saying you are going to live with relatives is something that you can easily change and since it is so easily changed there is no real commitment on your side since there are no real penalties for not going. so how can it show commitment? I would try but I would also have a backup plan.

12 hours ago, f f said:

a simple letter saying you are going to live with relatives is something that you can easily change and since it is so easily changed there is no real commitment on your side since there are no real penalties for not going. so how can it show commitment? I would try but I would also have a backup plan.

The OP needs a letter From the place he will be living. Preferably a rental agreement. 

Timeline

_X__  Others:  Please submit for more proof of domicile from your petitioner not an affidavit (examples: proof of employment, bank account, school registration for applicant, plane ticket, etc.).

so my only option is to fly back to states and find a work and open a bank account to have a bigger chance of getting approved from this proof of domicile thing.. 

they just sent me a mail few days ago

Just a bank account isnt going to cut it.  You can open accounts online.  But flying back to actually get your domicile in order wouldn't be amiss. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Just a bank account isnt going to cut it.  You can open accounts online.  But flying back to actually get your domicile in order wouldn't be amiss. 

whats the best solution tho? i sent them a letter stating that i sold my stuff and once im done with school ill be flying back, and stopped for the time being because was planning to go back to states with my daughter if it gets approved.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

I believe that proof of intent to establish domicile is all a USC has to overcome.

You don't have to maintain a domicile in the US while you are living overseas nor are you required to establish a domicile when returning home with an immigrant relative.

Almost nobody would be able to DCF with the rules these guys are setting in place - LOL

1.  Arrange a place to stay with a close relative

2.  Get your assets moved.  Open a bank account, address it to wherever you are going to stay (note - opening a joint bank account suddenly as proof of marriage:  bad. Opening one and dumping all your cash into it to show intent to establish domicile in the US:  good)

3.  Get your support affidavit covered.  Either show up with some record of assets (cash is king) or get a joint sponsor lined up

You have to fly to the US together or you need to enter first

Good luck!

1 hour ago, rian rian said:

whats the best solution tho? i sent them a letter stating that i sold my stuff and once im done with school ill be flying back, and stopped for the time being because was planning to go back to states with my daughter if it gets approved.

As I've suggested before, get a lease or at very least notarized letter stating where your family will be staying.  

Are you going to be working or attending school in the USA? Show that you've been job hunting or have applied to schools in the USA.

If your child is old enough for school pre-enroll them.  

Open the bank account and transfer money into it.

Update your voter registration. 

Timeline
9 hours ago, NikLR said:

As I've suggested before, get a lease or at very least notarized letter stating where your family will be staying.  

Are you going to be working or attending school in the USA? Show that you've been job hunting or have applied to schools in the USA.

If your child is old enough for school pre-enroll them.  

Open the bank account and transfer money into it.

Update your voter registration. 

im finishing my school here in the philippines and once im done gonna find work in US. my daughter is 10.. 

this is the only thing i can do. notarized letter from a relative, open a bank account, register for US vote thingy. do public schools in murca do pre enrollment? or is that for private schools only?

You will have to call the schools in the area you are moving to.  Generally if she will be starting in Jan they would want to know. 

Without moving back ahead of time those are items you can get from abroad.  Have you tried to do anything since starting this thread or having the interview?

Edited by NikLR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.