sitachhh

K-1: Intent to Marry Proof *other than* Letters of Intent

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi all, 

I was hoping to any of you could help evidence of proof to get married. We are planning to get married at the city hall/clerk's office in New York City as soon as I arrive in the US. The New York City Clerk's office does not accept appointments or reservations for wedding ceremonies. The plan for our wedding ceremony is to do plan a larger event/ceremony when we have more planning time and are more certain about the timeline since we cannot gauge how long the US government will take to process this paperwork. I understand that in the official US immigration website, the only proof it asked of is a 'Letter of Intent' dated and signed. However, from my research, I have seen a lot of couples put in receipts of wedding venue, wedding invitation card, catering services, etc, and I'm afraid that providing just the letter would not be enough, and will result in RFE, which will slow down the process even further. 

This info about how we've met may or may not be relevant: We met in graduate school together in the US. Worked in the same city and lived together for 6 months, but I needed to leave because I was not able to obtain the H1-B. It has been about 15 months apart, but we have taken about 6 trips since then, and 2 more on the horizon. 

Really appreciate in advance for all the help. 

Thank you so much! 

Lynn

People who submit anything other than the letter of intent with regards to their upcoming nuptials are doing so as relationship evidence, not proof of intent to marry.  Only the letter is needed for that.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Actually, not attaching your various wedding booking receipts will NOT result in RFE. Letters of intent are good enough. If you have some receipts, sure, you can attach them but they don't hold much weight nor do they prove much. 

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.