poh

Scheduling via interview before packet 3,4

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi Everyone

U.S. Consulate in Vietnam received the k-1 visa electronic file and the scanned supporting documents.  Once our case was READY , I completed the DS-160 and mailed the confirmation to them along with the 2 x visa photo and copy of passport.  They should receive it in 2 days.    I created an account on http://www.ustraveldocs.com and printed the deposit slip and paid the MRV fee.  Today I received an email from USTRAVELSDOCS that MRV fee receipt has been activated.  I emailed the U.S. Consulate in Vietnam requesting the instruction packets and their response was they will send it out as soon as possible.  Should I go ahead an schedule the visa interview or should I wait until I receive the instruction packet?  

According to the K-1 Visa instruction packet I download, it say "You should NOT schedule the interview appointment until you have received an instruction letter from the U.S. Consulate and have submitted the confirmation page of the DS-160, visa photos, and a copy of passport for each applicant to our office at the above address. Failure to do so may delay your visa processing." 

I am eager to schedule an interview so I can  book my flight to Vietnam to accompany my fiancee to the interview.  Has anyone scheduled an visa interview before receiving the instruction packet 3 and 4? if so, what was the result?  

Thanks in advance.

Edited by poh

K-1 Visa Interview:

POE :

SS Application Sent:

2017-10-17, Approved!:D

2017-12-6

2017-12-12

Married:                      2018-1-8

SS Card Received:     2018-1-16

SS Application Sent(Name Change):  2018-1-17

AOS Application Sent:   2018-2-8

SS Card Received (Name Change):     2018-2-12

AOS Application Delivered:      2018-2-13

AOS Application Accepted:     2018-2-22

AOS NOA1 Received:       2018-2-26

AOS/EAP Biometrics NOA Received:   2018-3-2

AOS/EAP Biometrics Appointment:  2018-3-12

Interview Scheduled:       2018-7-6  

EAP/AP Card Received:    2018-7-19

Original interview Date :2018-8-24  (USCIS Rescheduled due to Hurricane):cry:

Rescheduled Interview Date :2018-10-2, Approved!!  :D

GC Received :             2018-10-18 :thumbs:

SS Card Update :         2018-10-19

SS Card Received:      2018-10-26

ROC

ROC Application Sent via FedEx:  2020-7-2

ROC Application Received :2020-7-6

Rec'ed Text, Case # Assigned : 2020-7-11

Check Cashed: 2020-7-13

NOA Received: 2020-7-22

Case Transferred : 2021-11-10

Biometrics Applied:. 2021-5-12😄

ROC Interview passed: : 2021-7-4🥳

N-400

Eligible to file for US Citizenship : 2021-7-4🥳

N-400 filed online : 2021-12-1🥳

Biometrics reused

Passed Interview  : 2022-4-27🥳

event.png

Timeline

Wait until you got a package 3 (No longer have pk4) ..And schedule for interview.. You needs pk3 for Medical check up as well ..

About 1 week or so .Depend your location in VN ,you will got the mail from Embassy  ..You can emails them to request the electronic pk3 if can't received over 10 days or more.. Hope that's help

Edited by Klipsch17310

Timeline

I agree with above post. You need to wait. It won't take long - or, at least, it usually doesn't. Just wait until you get the packet and then schedule interview and medical. It goes really fast after you get packet 3. My fiancee kept looking for interview dates and found one that opened up. She jumped on it and we did the medical and interview in a span of a couple of weeks. When she got the interview date, I got my plane ticket. I attended the interview and I'm glad to see that you are attending too. It's an interesting experience and providing support almost guarantees success. Don't book your flight until you know the interview date. Medical exam appointments seem pretty easy to get, so don't sweat that part of it. Good luck!

Timeline
59 minutes ago, WandY said:

I agree with above post. You need to wait. It won't take long - or, at least, it usually doesn't. Just wait until you get the packet and then schedule interview and medical. It goes really fast after you get packet 3. My fiancee kept looking for interview dates and found one that opened up. She jumped on it and we did the medical and interview in a span of a couple of weeks. When she got the interview date, I got my plane ticket. I attended the interview and I'm glad to see that you are attending too. It's an interesting experience and providing support almost guarantees success. Don't book your flight until you know the interview date. Medical exam appointments seem pretty easy to get, so don't sweat that part of it. Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback.

1 hour ago, Klipsch17310 said:

Wait until you got a package 3 (No longer have pk4) ..And schedule for interview.. You needs pk3 for Medical check up as well ..

About 1 week or so .Depend your location in VN ,you will got the mail from Embassy  ..You can emails them to request the electronic pk3 if can't received over 10 days or more.. Hope that's help

Thanks for your feedback.

K-1 Visa Interview:

POE :

SS Application Sent:

2017-12-6

2017-12-12

ROC

N-400

Biometrics reused

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, WandY said:

@WandY You mentioned that you attended the interview but to clarify did you get to sit-in on it? I thought only the beneficiary is only allowed? I would like to go too if possible. I wasn't sure about this.

32 minutes ago, stevo215 said:

@WandY You mentioned that you attended the interview but to clarify did you get to sit-in on it? I thought only the beneficiary is only allowed? I would like to go too if possible. I wasn't sure about this.

You can accompany your beneficiary to the interview. Whether the CO allows you to partake in the interview is a different story. I was told to take a seat in the waiting area unless he needed to talk to me. He never did. When the interview was over (which was like 8 to 10 mins), he called me to the window and said that my wife's visa had been approved and we could expect it in 7 to 10 days.

Some of the people here did get interviewed with their beneficiary so it's a hit or miss.

Timeline
1 hour ago, stevo215 said:

Just like FrontGear said, you can (and should) attend the interview. The CO will decide whether or not you get interviewed. My fiancee was interviewed first and then they asked to speak with me. I clarified some information and they actually said "We appreciate that you are here." Honestly, I felt sorry for the VN women that were there alone. The place is chaotic and just about everyone is nervous. It's a strange experience, but I'm definitely glad that I went through it with my fiancee. As far as "sitting in on it," I was told to sit in an area about 25 feet from where my fiancee was being interviewed. I couldn't hear anything, but I could see her. You interview through a window, like a bank teller talking to a drive-through customer. Very clinical and sterile. But interesting. :)

Ditto on what WandY said. When we were there, we saw 5 or 6 women left the interview booths with tears and a blue slip in their hands. A whole family got denied for a visa as well (father, mother, and 3 kids). The wait was nerve wracking for me so I can't imagine how bad it could have been for her had I not been there with her. Bottom line is, if you can afford it, be there with her; at least for the emotional support.

Timeline
5 hours ago, frontgear said:

Ditto on what WandY said. When we were there, we saw 5 or 6 women left the interview booths with tears and a blue slip in their hands. A whole family got denied for a visa as well (father, mother, and 3 kids). The wait was nerve wracking for me so I can't imagine how bad it could have been for her had I not been there with her. Bottom line is, if you can afford it, be there with her; at least for the emotional support.

yes.  whether she pass or not, i want to be there for her.    I think me being their will give her the confidence to answer the question honestly and confidently.    she misses me very much so i can't let her down :D

Edited by poh

K-1 Visa Interview:

POE :

SS Application Sent:

2017-12-6

2017-12-12

ROC

N-400

Biometrics reused

event.png

Timeline

It's a cool experience. We stayed in our favorite Saigon hotel (Lan Lan 1) in District 1, which is close to the U.S. Consulate. I vividly remember staying up late the night before the interview, going over everything and triple-checking our forms/evidence. The next morning, we gathered all of our stuff and walked to the consulate - it was about 7 a.m. The walk was surreal. Here I am, in Saigon, walking to the U.S. Consulate with a Vietnamese woman that may soon be my wife. Or if denied, maybe not. I had been to VN many times, but it was like my first - a different feeling. Not working. Not a tourist. This was real life. Anyway, when we approached the consulate building, we could see the street was flooded with all kinds of people. The place was crazy! Some advice: Don't talk to anyone - go straight to the guard at the consulate gate and show your invitation letter. TIP 2: Know exactly where the consulate building is located before the interview date. My fiancee was from the North, so we made sure where we were going, walking the route a couple of times the day before. Have fun and don't be worried. You'll get the visa. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.