dentsflogged

Arrival/Departure records?

6 posts in this topic

You guys, this forum is amazing and I've learned a bunch the last few days and I'm trying to pre-plan and get everything in a row before we 100% decide to file (we've basically said we're going to get all the information, take it away individually and really consider the reality of going ahead with it and then discuss it face to face when I arrive for our 2 months together in 70 days).

So anyhow, I just checked my i94 records online and it shows that I'm registered as having left the US twice in as many days back in 2013, without a corresponding entry into the country. 

I can explain exactly the reason (my flight was cancelled after two aborted take-offs and they didn't deplane us until nearly 2am - for a 9.30pm flight! - and we were just ushered back into the terminal and sent to different hotels without any checking of passports again - so when I went back to the airport the next day and I was checked, there was a 2nd departure) - but would it be best to pre-plan to contact that airline now and request they write an official letter confirming the cancelled flight and the time/date and all that, so I'm not caught out later on without proof of this?  That airline is notoriously slow in doing anything (it took them 8 months to respond to my complaint about that flight and the financial impact I took because of it) so I figure it can't hurt to contact them now just in case... 

Thanks in advance for responding to my obsessive detail-oriented questions! 

Definitely get a confirmation from the airline concerning the cancelled flight. You do not want the USCIS adjudicator or consular officer to wonder if you were overstaying in the US.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
34 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

So anyhow, I just checked my i94 records online and it shows that I'm registered as having left the US twice in as many days back in 2013, without a corresponding entry into the country. 

I shouldn't worry about it - their I-94 records are a bit sketchy at times. Assuming you were using VWP/ESTA and the 2nd departure date was still before your 90 days were up, you're golden. And if you've visited the US again since then with no problems, you're definitely golden. No need for anything from the airline.

7 minutes ago, broppy said:

I shouldn't worry about it - their I-94 records are a bit sketchy at times. Assuming you were using VWP/ESTA and the 2nd departure date was still before your 90 days were up, you're golden. And if you've visited the US again since then with no problems, you're definitely golden. No need for anything from the airline.

Thanks! I figured as long as I've got a good history of leaving when I'm meant to, it won't be an issue, but I feel like I'm also over-thinking the whole thing.  I'm very Type-A in terms of being hyper organised so I'm just trying to consider any potential delays and ways I can make sure they're not an issue!

Next thing that I need to over-think and create contingency plans for - bringing my cat over.... I can't imagine she would enjoy being in transit for 26 hours straight in a cat-carrier but she's as non-negotiable to my happiness as my partner is so I'll have to work something out.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
26 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

Thanks! I figured as long as I've got a good history of leaving when I'm meant to, it won't be an issue, but I feel like I'm also over-thinking the whole thing.  I'm very Type-A in terms of being hyper organised so I'm just trying to consider any potential delays and ways I can make sure they're not an issue!

From what I remember of my I-94 history when I lived in Canada, it was a complete mess. I think they almost never showed a re-entry to the US within the same 90 day VWP period - and I visited quite a bit, so ended up with something like 2 or 3 departure records for every arrival. But never had a problem re-entering nor getting an immigrant visa - it never even came up.

Edited by broppy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I had a similar issue with leaving a country and equipment failure.  We went through passport control three times and it made for some messy passport stamping. 

Usually, entering the country and not leaving is the problem they look for. 

If you can get the info, try it, but I wouldn't kill myself over it or hold up anything.  A record of having been on the flight is probably plenty.  If you have no saved tickets, get the frequent flier record if you used an account.  

If they ask, tell them.  It happens, and unless it were coupled with other problems it sounds like a procedural irregularity more than any intent to skirt the law.  The fact it was entry/exit by air means it would mean you worked hard to sneak back in for a day.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.