Jump to content

Adjustment from B1B2 visa

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello, i have come over from India with my family on June 8th.  Myself, my wife and two children 1 and 4 years old.  we are all currently on 10 year tourist visas (however we need to leave after 6 months).  However, i have been offered a job here, and me and my family want to stay here in America indefinitely.  What do we need  to do to make this possible?  are we able to adjust to permanent residency?  or is there another visa that will allow me to work and my family to stay in America that we dont have to return to India?  


Thank you for your help!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not possible. 


You would need to hold an H-1B or an L-1 (or similar) to be able to accept an offer like that. They aren't something you can just obtain in a month or two, although the L-1 would be much more straightforward than the H-1B.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here



Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card



Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

As what @Hypnos stated that is not how it is done. It is fortunate that you have the visitor visa but it isn't that easy to just stay. 


You will have to find an employer that will have to sponsor you. You will need to have certain qualifications and the process takes time. In the meantime, you should prepare to return home because if you overstay your visitor visa and become illegal it will be even more difficult (almost impossible) for you to gain permanent residency. 


Search the board on how to obtaining work visas in the work visa section of VJ.


Good luck to you.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made; whether it is time, money, or separation or a combination of any or all.” - NuestraUnion

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you already got a job offer, you should talk to your "possible" employer about the work visa, if he agree to sponsor you and apply with you for the work visa, I think you could adjust. You can ask for guidance of a lawyer, they might have more info on that.

Good luck!

Edited by GabiMatch

02/14/2012 - Meet in person for the first time after talking online for over a year! :wub:

04/11/2012 - His first Visit to Brazil!!! (He was there twice).

09/12/2012 - Trip together to Cancun.

09/18/2012 - My First arrival/visit to United States (I visited about 4 to 6 times until my last arrival)

09/27/2016 - Last Arrival on B1/B2 Visa

02/01/2017 - MARRIED!!!

05/28/2017 - Package Sent

05/30/2017 - Package delivered 

06/09/2017 - Package returned (outdated I-130)

06/12/2017 - New package sent

06/14/2017 - New Package delivered

06/20/2017 - Check cashed

06/21/2017 - e-mails and texts received

06/24/2017 - Notice of action (Acceptance letter) received in the mail.

06/30/2017 - Biometrics appointment received in mail.

07/03/2017 - Biometrics done! (it was a successful walk in, my appointment was 07/10)

09/02/2017 - Service Request for EAD.

09/25/2017 - Call to tier 2 after no update on SR.

09/25/2017 - New Card Is Being Produced!!! (YAY)

09/30/2017 - EAD in hands!!!

04/08/2018 - Online Status Changed! - Interview Scheduled!!!

04/11/2018 - Inteview letter on the mail!

05/11/2018 - Interview at West Palm Beach field Office - Approved on spot!!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see a possibility to get a work visa.

the TO is from India, so is a E2-Visa not avalible  for her. 

The H1B cap was reached in one day and now the visas are in a kind of lottery because of the numbers of applications.

For other work visa categorys she need to work at the same company in India for a year and they need to send her to the USA.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

only option for H1B is get a job offer from cap-exempt work places such as universities or non-profit organizations etc then apply premium processing for H1B. Depends on how much time you left but that may be possible.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.