Teepee

I wish the waiting time of CR1 is like the processing of K-1

17 posts in this topic

I ask myself this same thing quite often. Although I understand the differences between K1 and CR1, it does seem (from an outsider's perspective with not a lot of immigration experience like myself) That the K1 has the upper hand in one important aspect: time.  It seems illogical to allow couples who might not be sure about the seriousness of their relationships to enter sooner and think about getting married, since a lot do use it as a ''90 days to figure out if they are sure'' although we know that's not the porpoise of the VISA, while keeping couples that are already married and in some cases have been together for decades and have children, to be away longer. In this case I can totally see the injustice and frustration, I myself feel it as well. 

I do understand that the extra months have to do with all the necessary steps that ultimately result in the superior benefits of the CR1, but I still find it ridiculous to have to wait up to 8-9 months or sometimes even longer like in my service center Nebraska just for approval,  followed by at least 11 weeks at NVC, and 1-2 or so more months  for the embassy and an interview to prove the veracity of our marriages and a medical in which we strip down, get X-rays blood work and vaccines in groups, like farm animals. 

I know why these measures are in place. I remember a time before 9/11 were you could travel with ease.  Years of abuse or fear lead to stricter policies and regulations. 

But that doesn't make it any less stressful, mentally and financially draining. 

🇲🇽  & 🇺🇸

➺ 01/07/17 Got married in Cozumel

➺ 02/04/17 Petition mailed 

➺ 02/08/17 Case Assigned to USCIS Nebraska, sigh. 

➺ 02/13/17 We got our NOA1! PD: February 8th 

➺ 12/15/17 NOA2 finally! after 10 1/2 months. 

➺ 12/21/17 NVC confirmed they received our file 

➺ 01/22/18 Documents sent to Rapidvisa 

➺ 02/05/18  NVC received our package 

03/15/18 Case complete! 

06/27/18  We got our Interview date! August 28th 

08/30/18 The package arrived (waited at Juarez)

08/31/18 Entered the U.S with my husband 

➺ 02/13/19 Husband confesses he cheated, leaves

➺ 02/16/19 Husband decides to abandon the marriage

➺ 05/13/19  I am officially divorced. 

➺ 07/03/20  I file to remove conditions on my own     

➺ 08/13/21 I finally get my biometrics appointment 

➺ 02/26/22 I got my interview assigned: March 31st. 

💜Owner of Miss Lore Tattoos 💜

www.missloretattoos.com   Instagram.com/missloretattoos 

Tough times never last, but tough people do. 

200w.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
4 hours ago, acidrain said:

Wow. The process took TWO YEARS for you? I can honestly say my heart goes out to you. It's rare to find other couples who have been together as long as you have. Obviously if you've been together for 10 years there is very little chance your intent was to get into the US.

I totally understand the fiance Visa is met with higher scrutiny and it is the start to a lengthy process. I know once I get my green card I will legally be allowed to work, live and apply for citizenship in 3 years. It's the separation that bothers me the most. It's just my opinion but if the US government trusts people coming in on a fiance Visa why can't they trust people who applied for IR1/IR2? I don't have any evidence to back this up but wouldn't the chance of marriage fraud be LOWER the longer two spouses have been together?

I'm guessing relationships that start out apart would have a higher chance of breaking up. We waited 2 years before we got engaged. It was 2 1/2 years before we got married. I had no idea until I watched the show 90 day fiance that if someone gets a divorce they may still be able to stay in the US. Some of the threads have been surprising to hear stories of foreign spouses not wanting to have sex or threatening to go to the police and claim abuse if they annul the marriage. I'm obviously not tarnishing everyone with the same brush and realize not everybody is trying to use their spouse for a green card.

A few years back i130's were processed in consulates abroad and we did just that. I got approved in 2 months but never finalized the process. We weren't willing to take the plunge to move countries at that point. Unfortunately the Canadian embassy shreds the file after a couple of years so we had to start over. If the process took 6 months which is the length of time we've waited so far we could live with that. But a year or more (especially in your case) just seems ridiculous. My spouse has missed milestones of his 4 year old son's life like preschool graduation and will miss his first day at Kindergarten. The stress for me is not knowing whether the border will let me cross every time I try to visit. I have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt I will come back in a couple of weeks while fiances are allowed to enter for 90 days to try to figure out whether the relationship is even going to work out.

this is piercing into my heart. touching story .....  i think i need to just activate a double turbo patient mode will i await our approval.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.