bcking

USCIS Biometrics after arriving to the USA

10 posts in this topic

My wife arrived in April. In June we got a letter asking for her to go to a USCIS support center to get her fingerprints scanned. Unfortunately we had to reschedule it but she eventually made it in early July.

Anyone know a reasonable time frame to wait for the greencard at this point before we start calling anyone? It's been about a month since that appointment (where they literally took a single fingerprint) but we have no idea how long to wait before we start following up. They didn't give her any information at the center, not even a paper acknowledging she had the fingerprint done. She got her social security card in early July.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, bcking said:

They didn't give her any information at the center, not even a paper acknowledging she had the fingerprint done.

Did they not stamp her appointment letter?  That serves as proof that she got them done.

Have you tried checking the case status online?  That would at least tell you if the card is in production..

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

5 minutes ago, Going through said:

Did they not stamp her appointment letter?  That serves as proof that she got them done.

Have you tried checking the case status online?  That would at least tell you if the card is in production..

Which case status online would you use?

The USCIS one says it has been sent to the Department of State (which happened last August)

The NVC one says the visa was "issued", but it has said that since early April before she got the temporary one in her passport. 

I don't know any other website to check. No they didn't stamp anything. She was in and out in 5 minutes, and as I said they took literally 1 fingerprint from 1 hand.

Timeline

Only thing I can suggest then is try calling USCIS themselves and asking to be transferred to an L2 officer who can give you personal info regarding the status.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

2 minutes ago, Athens said:

Check your case status on the USCIS link below:

https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

That website doesn't help. It says it has been forwarded to the NVC, which it has said since last August after we went to the NVC stage.

Would I call USCIS or NVC? They both have wait times (Just tried NVC and I got the "you can't even wait on hold" message). The notice for the biometrics was from USCIS, but USCIS hasnt' been involved in the last year since it was sent to the NVC.

https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx

I'm also used this one and it says it was "Issued" in early April (when she got her passport back with a temporary visa). It doesn't update to mention the permanent green card it seems.

Edited by bcking

Timeline
8 minutes ago, bcking said:

Would I call USCIS or NVC? They both have wait times (Just tried NVC and I got the "you can't even wait on hold" message). The notice for the biometrics was from USCIS, but USCIS hasnt' been involved in the last year since it was sent to the NVC.

USCIS is the one who requested the fingerprinting.  

USCIS is also the one who actually produces the card.  So yes, they are involved.  That's why I suggested calling them to see if they can give you some info.

Calling and trying to get some info isn't going to hurt anything---better than not even trying to call them at all, don't you think?

If you do call, request an L2 officer---the customer service people answering the phone won't be able to help you.

Edited by Going through

4 minutes ago, Going through said:

USCIS is the one who requested the fingerprinting.  

USCIS is also the one who actually produces the card.  So yes, they are involved.  That's why I suggested calling them to see if they can give you some info.

Calling and trying to get some info isn't going to hurt anything---better than not even trying to call them at all, don't you think?

I was more wondering if people have experience regarding how long it normally takes once these things happen. If waiting two months after a repeat biometric appointment is not unusual, I'll gladly wait. She has her green card in her passport which is good for 1 year so we have time. Unfortunately they don't make themselves easy to contact. You end up on hold for ages which is difficult with work so I don't want to go through the process now if all they are going to say is "Please allow 12 weeks" or whatever malarkey they usually give.

EDIT:

As expected - Calling USCIS goes through a machine that basically uses the website Athens linked. They literally read exactly what is on the website, and then it hangs up.

Edited by bcking

Timeline
Just now, bcking said:

I was more wondering if people have experience regarding how long it normally takes once these things happen. If waiting two months after a repeat biometric appointment is not unusual, I'll gladly wait. She has her green card in her passport which is good for 1 year so we have time. Unfortunately they don't make themselves easy to contact. You end up on hold for ages which is difficult with work so I don't want to go through the process now if all they are going to say is "Please allow 12 weeks" or whatever malarkey they usually give.

Well, an L2 officer (who is an actual immigration officcer) can give you personal info directly related to your case instead of the generic info the customer service people give.  No one is forcing you to call to find out more info, of course.

Best of luck.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to General Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.