Waitinggame16

Chicago N400 filers

2,519 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I read somewhere that it is recommended to bring over 2 passport size photographs to the interview. Is that true? I didn't see that on the list of doc's I am supposed to bring over on the letter I received.

Anything else that I should bring over that is not mentioned in the interview letter?

4 minutes ago, ChicagoN400 said:

I read somewhere that it is recommended to bring over 2 passport size photographs to the interview. Is that true? I didn't see that on the list of doc's I am supposed to bring over on the letter I received.

Anything else that I should bring over that is not mentioned in the interview letter?

I sent two photos with my application and am definitely bringing two more with me because I saw a lot of people asked for it earlier in the year and it held them up a lot waiting to get their case looked at again once they resubmitted photos. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Public Service Announcement:

I'd like to encourage all fellow Chicago filers to please, please create & update your VisaJourney Timeline!

It's the only way that data gets into the VJ system and updates cool, helpful features such as this: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/citlist.php?op6=All&op7=Chicago+IL&op1=3&op2=d&op4=1&op5=&cfl=0

I've noticed that a lot of people commenting in our Chicago thread don't have timelines; this means that you're not providing data that will really help your fellow filers try to predict how fast/slow things are moving with our Field Office.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, ChicagoN400 said:

I have see many people say to bring passport pictures. Also tax returns. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Steelers1020 said:

I have see many people say to bring passport pictures. Also tax returns. 

Thank you @Steelers1020 and @Waitinggame16

I had no idea I would have to take pics with me...if u guys think of anything else, please do share :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

It's official: my wife's a US Citizen, having just taken the Naturalization Oath at the USCIS Chicago office this morning. I'll post a more detailed description of the oath experience later this week. 

Thank you to the entire Visa Journey forum for the kind words, advice, helpful comments and hints over the last 8+ years.

Good luck to everyone!

AJ

Our Timeline (AOS from VWP with short overstay):

Day 00: 19 Sep 2010 AOS package (I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765) sent to Chicago Lockbox

Day 18: 07 Oct 2010 Biometrics appointment letter received for 29 Oct 2010 (dated 01 Oct 2010)

Day 19: 08 Oct 2010 Walk-in biometrics (took about 10 minutes)

Day 47: 05 Nov 2010 Received letter (dated 01 Nov 2010) for Interview on 07 Dec 2010

Day 68: 26 Nov 2010 I-131 TOUCHED: AP approved

Day 73: 01 Dec 2010 I-765 TOUCHED: EAD approved

Day 76: 04 Dec 2010 AP received

Day 79: 07 Dec 2010 Interview at 1 p.m. (took maybe 15 minutes): RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL!

Day 82: 10 Dec 2010 EAD received (dated 01 Dec 2010)

Day 83: 11 Dec 2010 "WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" letter received (dated 07 Dec 2010)

Day 90: 18 Dec 2010 GREEN CARD IN HAND! (dated 07 Dec 2010)

Day 000: 27 Nov 2012 ROC package (I-751) sent to California Service Center

Day 005: 03 Dec 2012 Received hard copy of NOA (dated 28 Nov 2012)

Day 244: 29 Jul 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received for 07 Aug 2013 (dated 27 Jul 2013)

Day 247: 01 Aug 2013 Walk-in biometrics (took about 25 minutes)

Day 308: 01 Oct 2013 Received approval notice for ROC (dated 24 Sep 2013)

Day 317: 10 Oct 2013 GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Day 000: 16 Sep 2017 N-400 filed online

Day 007: 23 Sep 2017 Biometrics appointment scheduled for 12 Oct 2017

Day 024: 10 Oct 2017 Walk-in biometrics (took about 10 minutes)

Day 059: 14 Nov 2017 Received notice that Interview scheduled for 19 Dec 2017

Day 066: 20 Nov 2017 Received hard copy of Interview notice (dated 14 Nov 2017)

Day 094: 19 Dec 2017 INTERVIEW (PASSED!)

Day 145:  08 Feb 2018 OATH CEREMONY

1 hour ago, caeremonarius said:

It's official: my wife's a US Citizen, having just taken the Naturalization Oath at the USCIS Chicago office this morning. I'll post a more detailed description of the oath experience later this week. 

Thank you to the entire Visa Journey forum for the kind words, advice, helpful comments and hints over the last 8+ years.

Good luck to everyone!

AJ

Congratulations! 

Filed: Other Country: Moldova
Timeline
18 hours ago, caeremonarius said:

Good luck to everyone!

AJ

Congratulations! :)

On 2/8/2018 at 2:41 PM, caeremonarius said:

Good luck to everyone!

AJ

Congratulations!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Steelers1020 said:

Hope everything went well with the interview!

It went great! Officer was super friendly and I was out in 30 mins :)

He had to check the box "A decision cannot be made at this time" and said that it was because he was new to USCIS and that only his supervisor can recommend for approval. He said he is going to recommend my approval to his supervisor. This adds another layer to my process, but nothing I can do about it.

He said the next communication I will receive will be about my oath ceremony and that I should expect it in the next 5-6 weeks. Let's see how that goes  :)

On 1/27/2018 at 10:58 PM, AK_2014 said:

For those of us who applied for N-400 online but ran into the no-combo-interview situation in Chicago, my sneaking suspicion lately is that in the back-and-forth between the N-400 people and the I-751 people (different floors of the same building), the application got printed & converted to a paper application. Given the slower timing of paper applications, this means it'll take even longer for the interview to be rescheduled. I'd love to be proven wrong, but at this point I don't expect any motion on our case for several more months. That extra wait, on top of so many extra trips to the service center... :wacko: and we're moving out-of-state this summer, which will add all sorts of fun complications if it isn't completed by then... 

Any updates for you guys?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
6 hours ago, Steelers1020 said:

Any updates for you guys?

Thanks for asking.

Radio silence, alas.

I really do suspect that our application got printed out as part of the I-751 level, and we're now in line among the printed applications, which is so much slower, as we all know. Or maybe that's ascribing too much logic to the whole USCIS system.

So frustrating that Chicago won't act like most other office and just conduct joint interviews, or at the very least do the N-400 interview but say that no decision can be made until the I-751 is finished, which has happened to some people at some other offices.  She "should" have done the joint interview in early November, had an oath ceremony a month or two after that, and been done with the whole matter!  Plus, they're wasting so many interview slots with their short-sighted policy, which only makes lines longer and longer for everybody... :-/  Rant over.

Hoping we all get through this sooner rather than later. Go Chicago!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.