Kwaapia

Permanent resident filing for wife

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Jersey
Timeline

Hello Everyone 

I would want to know what is my best option from the big family out here...I was expecting my citizenship this year and had plans filing for a fiancé visa for my woman however I went for the N400 interview was told I spent more than six months outside the state and that disqualifies me. The consular advice me to redraw my application and file next year which I did. I planned getting married the end of the year.  I read on other platforms that , filing for a fiancé visa is faster however you have to be a citizen first. I will have to wait for probably a year and six months to be citizens. Now the question is Do I wait for the citizenship first before I file or get married and file as green card holder for my spouse or do an engagement and wait for my citizenship and file for fiancé visa. Personally I want to get married now and file as permanent resident. Has anybody here filed as resident and how long does the process takes? Pls advise 

Unfortunately, only a US citizen can petition a I-129F. Your other option is to file a I-130 for a CR-1/IR-1 spousal visa instead. Obviously you'll have to get married with her prior to filing a I-130.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Either option works, but I would suggest marrying and filing for her as a spouse:

• More "sure" (no guarantees you will be granted citizenship or how long it will take)
  • Cheaper
  • Faster overall (no need to be a USC first, get your citizenship paperwork, then wait the 6-8 months)
  • She's granted residency immediately upon entry, so she can work, travel abroad, etc. (K-1 doesn't allow this for at least a few months after entry)
  • You want to marry now. So do it and enjoy it!

ETA: Around 2 years from filing to visa for F2A.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

You should get married and file now. If you have citizenship before your (future) wife gets the visa, your petition will just be automatically updated once you tell them you are now a US citizen. If you don't have citizenship, she will get the visa once the process ends. 

By the way, some people have been waiting for ever for their citizenship because some cities have backlogs. So the safest bet is to file everything now. If you are getting married at the end of the year, you can start filling in the paperwork now and putting everything together, so the moment you get back to the US you can mail it. The best thing you can do is be thorough with the paperwork because if you get a RFE (request for more evidence) it will slow the process down. 

Timeline
11 hours ago, geowrian said:

Either option works, but I would suggest marrying and filing for her as a spouse:

• More "sure" (no guarantees you will be granted citizenship or how long it will take)
  • Cheaper
  • Faster overall (no need to be a USC first, get your citizenship paperwork, then wait the 6-8 months)
  • She's granted residency immediately upon entry, so she can work, travel abroad, etc. (K-1 doesn't allow this for at least a few months after entry)

Thanks ...very informative .. I appreciate it

Timeline
12 hours ago, geowrian said:

• Cheaper

Thanks I appreciate it

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.