Rsul96

Is my cover letter acceptable, and a few other questions about form I-130

5 posts in this topic

So I'll start with my questions. My first question is whether or not I have enough evidence of a bona-fide marriage. My wife and I don't live together and therefore can't get a join bank account or anything of the like. And we can't get any assets in both names to prove it either. So I'm really hoping this is sufficient enough. Secondly; Should I sign my cover page?

[Petitioner Street Address]

[Petitioner city/state]

USCIS

P.O. Box 804625

Chicago, IL 60680-4107

Purpose of Submission: I:130, Petition for Alien Relative

Petitioner: [My name]

Beneficiary: [My wife's name]

To Whom it may concer:

I am filing the enclosed Form I-130, Petition on behalf of [Spouse's name], the beneficiary. I [My name], am the U citizen petitioner,

and my wife [My wife's name] is the foreign beneficiary.

The following documents accompany and support this petition:

1. A USPS money order for the amount of $535.00 to cover the filing fee;

2. Two (2) photos of the petitioner and the beneficiary with the names on back;

3. Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative;

4. Form I-130A; Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary, for the beneficiary;

5. A copy of the Petitioner's US birth certificate;

6. A copy of the petitioner's US passport as proof of citizenship;

7. Birth certificate and certified translation of beneficiary;

8. Marriage certificate and certified English translation of petitioner and beneficiary from the place of marriage;

9. Evidence of a bona-fide marriage

a. Copy of petitioner's Algerian visa page and all 3 entry and exit stamps from visitation to beneficiary.

b. Photocopies of our "family book" from ALgeria which is used as a proof of marriage within the country. A certified English translation is attached.

c. Photos that the petitioner (I), and the beneficiary (my spouse) have taken from our time spent together in Algeria. Descriptions of each photo are on the back side.

If you have any questions or concerns, please call me at [Phone number]. Thank you for your time and

consideration of this petition for an alien relative.

Sincerely, [My name]

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
On 6/28/2017 at 0:51 AM, Rsul96 said:

So I'll start with my questions. My first question is whether or not I have enough evidence of a bona-fide marriage. My wife and I don't live together and therefore can't get a join bank account or anything of the like. And we can't get any assets in both names to prove it either. So I'm really hoping this is sufficient enough. Secondly; Should I sign my cover page?

[Petitioner Street Address]

[Petitioner city/state]

USCIS

P.O. Box 804625

Chicago, IL 60680-4107

Purpose of Submission: I:130, Petition for Alien Relative

Petitioner: [My name]

Beneficiary: [My wife's name]

To Whom it may concer:

I am filing the enclosed Form I-130, Petition on behalf of [Spouse's name], the beneficiary. I [My name], am the U citizen petitioner,

and my wife [My wife's name] is the foreign beneficiary.

The following documents accompany and support this petition:

1. A USPS money order for the amount of $535.00 to cover the filing fee;

2. Two (2) photos of the petitioner and the beneficiary with the names on back;

3. Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative;

4. Form I-130A; Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary, for the beneficiary;

5. A copy of the Petitioner's US birth certificate;

6. A copy of the petitioner's US passport as proof of citizenship;

7. Birth certificate and certified translation of beneficiary;

8. Marriage certificate and certified English translation of petitioner and beneficiary from the place of marriage;

9. Evidence of a bona-fide marriage

a. Copy of petitioner's Algerian visa page and all 3 entry and exit stamps from visitation to beneficiary.

b. Photocopies of our "family book" from ALgeria which is used as a proof of marriage within the country. A certified English translation is attached.

c. Photos that the petitioner (I), and the beneficiary (my spouse) have taken from our time spent together in Algeria. Descriptions of each photo are on the back side.

If you have any questions or concerns, please call me at [Phone number]. Thank you for your time and

consideration of this petition for an alien relative.

Sincerely, [My name]

The birth certificate for the beneficiary is not needed at this stage.  Your US Birth Certificate is your evidence of US Citizenship.  Copies of passport pages that show time spent together are important as relationship evidence, but you've already supplied the birth certificate as evidence of citizenship.  The cover letter is fine.  Whether the evidence of relationship is sufficient is purely circumstantial.  The marriage certificate is evidence, of legal and lawful marriage.  Some may argue that is the only "proof" item, but USCIS and the Consular IV unit will still consider it "evidence".  All evidence is submitted in the hope a subjective evaluation thereof will bring the desired result.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

4 hours ago, pushbrk said:

The birth certificate for the beneficiary is not needed at this stage

In Algeria, the woman's birth certificate says the name of their spouse on it when they become married (So it shows my name on there now that we're legally married in Algeria). Will this be used as a further proof of a legitimate relationship if I didn't specifically say that is the intention of it's inclusion?

Edited by Rsul96

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, Rsul96 said:

In Algeria, the woman's birth certificate says the name of their spouse on it when they become married (So it shows my name on there now that we're legally married in Algeria). Will this be used as a further proof of a legitimate relationship if I didn't specifically say that is the intention of it's inclusion?

Your marriage certificate is the only proof you submit, everything else is evidence.  Since the marriage certificate already establishes that you are married, the beneficiary's birth certificate, is of no use at the phase, even with the reflection of the name of the spouse.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.