hsa12390

Filing N-400 before ROC approval?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

Hi VJers,

My husband applied for his I-751 back in July 2016 at VSC and we are still waiting for approval. His GC expired 9/30/2016 (was granted 9/30/2014), which means that under the 3 years -90 day rule he can file his N-400 in early July of this year. I'm sure that there are many people in this situation right now (thinking about applying for N-400 before I-751 approval). Curious if anyone has gone ahead and filed and if so what has their experience been like? Is there any downside to filing before I-751 approval? Or is it better to wait?

I know technically they can't approve N-400 before I-751 but I heard that sometimes they do both simultaneously or that 1 can force the other one to be adjudicated? 

Also, is it better to apply for N-400 online or to send it by mail? Seems like the online option is pretty new, anyone had any issues with it?

Thanks!

I've read people do it which forced the I-751 to be processed and completed. I applied for my N-400 by mail. I am not sure about online process though. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
31 minutes ago, hsa12390 said:

Hi VJers,

My husband applied for his I-751 back in July 2016 at VSC and we are still waiting for approval. His GC expired 9/30/2016 (was granted 9/30/2014), which means that under the 3 years -90 day rule he can file his N-400 in early July of this year. I'm sure that there are many people in this situation right now (thinking about applying for N-400 before I-751 approval). Curious if anyone has gone ahead and filed and if so what has their experience been like? Is there any downside to filing before I-751 approval? Or is it better to wait?

I know technically they can't approve N-400 before I-751 but I heard that sometimes they do both simultaneously or that 1 can force the other one to be adjudicated? 

Also, is it better to apply for N-400 online or to send it by mail? Seems like the online option is pretty new, anyone had any issues with it?

Thanks!

I lodged my N400 with a pending i751.  Filed online and positive experience.

Timeline

Thanks for your responses. So it looks like there's really no point in waiting, other than that when you apply you have a copy of the 10 year GC to send it with your application as opposed to expired GC and extension letter.

1 hour ago, mcdull said:

I lodged my N400 with a pending i751.  Filed online and positive experience.

mcdull, we are also in Boston. Any idea how fast the Boston office is processing N-400 applications? Our friend got hers recently in about 3 months

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
2 hours ago, hsa12390 said:

Thanks for your responses. So it looks like there's really no point in waiting, other than that when you apply you have a copy of the 10 year GC to send it with your application as opposed to expired GC and extension letter.

mcdull, we are also in Boston. Any idea how fast the Boston office is processing N-400 applications? Our friend got hers recently in about 3 months

hey, yes! I realized Boston is incredibly fast these days . I efiled and hopefully, it won't complicate things.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Are they only letting people who received their GC between Sept 27 2012 and Sept 27 2014 file online? When i went to check eligibility they asked me this. unfortunately we received ours on Sept 30th 2014 and it said that "you may be ineligible to file online" or am i missing something?

• 10 months later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 6/26/2017 at 11:32 AM, charmander said:

I've done it myself. Check my timeline. I couldn't be more happier with my decision.

I was just reading your timeline.. I saw where you said you went for the first interview.. Did you have to do the second interview? 

I am just curious... And when you say first interview, do you mean the N-400 Interview?

Edited by justasking123

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
49 minutes ago, justasking123 said:

I was just reading your timeline.. I saw where you said you went for the first interview.. Did you have to do the second interview? 

I am just curious... And when you say first interview, do you mean the N-400 Interview?

Yes, N400 interview. I didn't do an interview for the ROC. It was a mistake on their part that they scheduled two N400 interviews. I gave details of that story here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.