C and E

Cuba people! Thoughts on how Trump news will affect us?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Cuba
Timeline
3 minutes ago, forthesoul said:

My fiancé is in Cuba but I actually have family in Cuba as well as traveling with a Cuban born family member.   I understand that the Cuban visa and the US license does not go hand in hand. But then you mentioned unless actually family.

I went to Cuba around December, I was asked my reason for going to Cuba but never asked to show anything. When it came to the Cuban visa, I had the tourist visa.  Now fast forward to this trip I have the Cuban tourist visa again. Is it better to have the Cuban family visa?

*My last trip to Cuba I did no planning, I literally just showed up to the airport and was handed everything.  It was planned by my uncle but he is now on vacation and I am not able to reach him.  

See my last post. It's still the same way as of July 4th weekend. I go back Friday, and I'll update this thread once I'm back Monday with how things were.

Also, the family visa just allows you to stay in a Cuban's home. You could easily be visiting family but not staying in their home, so the type of visa shouldn't matter. I've never once been asked about it, and I go to Cuba every month to see my husband.

CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas

Consulate: Cuba  Colombia. Thanks, Trump!

Marriage: 12/31/2016

I-130 Sent: 3/2/2017

I-130 NOA1: 3/8/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/29/17

NOA2 hardcopy received: 9/5/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/26/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/11/2017

NVC Received: 9/21/2017

Case Number and Invoice Number Available: 9/22/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/27/17

Received Invoices for AOS and IV and Paid Both (No DS-261 as I have a lawyer): 9/27/2017 

DS-260 Unlocked: 9/29/2017

DS-260 Submitted: 10/5/17

IV & AOS Packages Mailed: 10/5/17

Packages Physically Arrived at NVC10/10/17

Scan Date: 10/11/17

Case Complete: 11/20/17

Case Complete Email: 11/28/17

Interview Date Received: 1/31/18

Interview: 3/27/18- Approved!

POE: 4/5/18, LAX

SSN Card Received: 4/16/18

2-Year Green Card Received: 4/21/18

ROC

Package Sent: 1/13/20

NOA1 (MSC): 1/16/20

Biometrics Notice: 1/31/20

Biometrics Appt: 2/12/20 (walked in early 2/6)

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled: 10/21/20

Interview Scheduled: 5/12/21

Interview Date: 6/17/21 - Approved!

New Card is Being Produced: 6/17/21

Card Was Mailed to You: 6/21/21

Case Was Approved: 6/22/21

Card Was Picked Up by USPS: 6/23/21

Card in Hand: 6/24/21

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cuba
Timeline
18 minutes ago, forthesoul said:

My fiancé is in Cuba but I actually have family in Cuba as well as traveling with a Cuban born family member.   I understand that the Cuban visa and the US license does not go hand in hand. But then you mentioned unless actually family.

I went to Cuba around December, I was asked my reason for going to Cuba but never asked to show anything. When it came to the Cuban visa, I had the tourist visa.  Now fast forward to this trip I have the Cuban tourist visa again. Is it better to have the Cuban family visa?

*My last trip to Cuba I did no planning, I literally just showed up to the airport and was handed everything.  It was planned by my uncle but he is now on vacation and I am not able to reach him.  

I should haven't have added that part about "unless actually family."  The US government does not care at all what Cuban visa you have (tourist or family or other). They only care that your visit falls under one of the categories authorized to travel to Cuba. Since you have family in Cuba (and not just a fiancé) then you are fine. You only need a family visa if you think it is necessary for the Cuban authorities.

N-400

06/18/2016 Mailed N-400 application

06/21/2016 NOA

07/22/2016 Biometrics

08/26/2016 In line for interview

10/24/2016 Interview (approved)

11/16/2016 Oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
27 minutes ago, DiamondEyes490 said:

See my last post. It's still the same way as of July 4th weekend. I go back Friday, and I'll update this thread once I'm back Monday with how things were.

Also, the family visa just allows you to stay in a Cuban's home. You could easily be visiting family but not staying in their home, so the type of visa shouldn't matter. I've never once been asked about it, and I go to Cuba every month to see my husband.

Thank you!  

12 minutes ago, Sarah&Michel said:

I should haven't have added that part about "unless actually family."  The US government does not care at all what Cuban visa you have (tourist or family or other). They only care that your visit falls under one of the categories authorized to travel to Cuba. Since you have family in Cuba (and not just a fiancé) then you are fine. You only need a family visa if you think it is necessary for the Cuban authorities.

Got it!!  Thank you!!!

08/24/17:  I129F sent to Lewisville, TX.

08/25/17:  I129F delivered.

08/29/17:  E-notification of NOA1.

09/02/17:  Hard copy of NOA1 came in the mail.

• 11 months later...
On 6/17/2017 at 11:04 AM, C and E said:

Hello, Cuba folks! Just curious your thoughts on how Trump's news will affect us. I estimate that the K1 interview for me & my fiancé will be in September or October, but what happens if I cant get into the country? I'll be flying in via UK. 

The past 3 times I have been to Cuba I also went through other countries. When I came from Europe I got no questions at all. Only when I went via Mexico did I get asked anything, and I just had to fill out a simple form saying my trip was "people to people", which it was but I organized independently. Of course, I know the policies are just going back to how they were, but under Obama before the change, it didn't seem like it was terribly enforced, and I have been reading that independently organized trips won't be allowed anymore. My fear is now these rules will be enforced.

Any thoughts on this? For those of us planning to make Cuba trips -- should we make plans to join a tour group? Or independently organize some lessons? Ugh. Does a visa interview at the embassy count as a good enough 'activity'? 

Any thoughts much appreciated. Of course my fiance is terribly afraid this means we can't be together at all... :( 

Please help, I’m in the same  situation, I’m an American citizen and  well I don’t have any family in Cuba, I just planned a solo trip and I’ve met someone and we really clicked... i don’t know if we are planning of marrying yet but 2 months later, I’m going back to Havana to see him. The only category I can fall under is support the Cuban people, which was the one u used to begin with, what other choice do I have? Is this a risk of getting fined, if so is that anything I can do? I really wanna see him again. Many thanks for any info.

giselle

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Zombie thread locked to further discussion. The recent poster already has a thread started. Please do not post in other members thread for your questions keep them to your existing thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.