Interview and 2016 tax transcript

26 posts in this topic

Hello members, 

My interview is scheduled in June, I was wondering about the tax transcript, we have the 2014, 2015 ready but the 2016 is still not available as my wife sent her tax docs to the IRS in April. Online it said it might take up to 8 weeks for the transcript to be available. 

My question is do you think the CO will request for the 2016 transcript? or is the 2015 fine? 

we have the 2016 transcript for our joint sponsor but not yet for my wife/petitioner. 

Will a copy of the 1044 sent to IRS suffice? 

Thank you. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You can produce 2016 tax return with all supporting W2s and 1099s and anything else you used to file tax return, in place of tax transcript.

Tax transcript is not an absolute necessity.

Good luck for the interview.

Timeline Info below:

Spoiler

04/21/16 -- Marriage

----- CR1 Process -----

USCIS Stage [222 days from NOA1]

06/08/16 -- Sent I-130

01/31/17 -- I-130 petition sent to NVC [Received Email notification and MyUscis status update]

NVC Stage [105 days from NOA2]

Embassy/Consulate (Interview) Stage [43 days from Case Complete to Visa in Hand]

05/18/17 -- Consulate Received. CEAC Case status changed to "Ready"

06/01/17 -- Medical Examination [Complete. It took around 2 hours. Total Cost INR 11650 for Surat City Apollo Clinic]

06/12/17 -- Biometric (OFC) Appointment

06/13/17 -- Interview [7:30 AM at Mumbai, India]. Visa Approved

06/15/17 -- Visa in hand

06/21/17 -- POE at DFW (Dallas, Texas)

----- Removal of Condition -----

Removal of Condition (I-751) [Approved]

06/18/2019 -- Sent the package (3 Days before GC expires, cutting it close). Sent to Lewisville, TX via FedEx Ground

06/19/2019 -- Package received at around 9:30 AM (Hoping I don't get rejected for missing deadline)

06/24/2019 -- Card was charged with $680 fees. Text Message received confirming Receipt. Case routed to NBC (Case Number starts with 'MSC')

06/28/2019 -- NOA Hard Copy & 18 Months Extension Letter Received in Mail with NOA Date as 06/19/2019

07/12/2019 -- Biomentrics Appointment Letter received. The Letter is Dated 7/5/2019. Appointment is on 7/22/2019

07/22/2019 -- Biometrics Appointment Complete

02/01/2022 -- Interview Scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Complete. No new Green Card will be produced as my Naturalization was also approved.

03/04/2022 -- USCIS status changed to approved.

----- Naturalization -----

Naturalization (N-400) [Approved]

03/26/2022 -- N-400 online application complete. NOA Date.

01/15/2021 -- Biometric Complete.

02/28/2022 -- Interview scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Passed. Status changed to 'we recommended that your application be approved...' and then to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'.

03/09/2022 -- Oath Ceremony was scheduled for 3/25/2022.

9 minutes ago, Tanish said:

You can produce 2016 tax return with all supporting W2s and 1099s and anything else you used to file tax return, in place of tax transcript.

Tax transcript is not an absolute necessity.

Good luck for the interview.

We do not have w2s or 1099s as we both live abroad and employed abroad. 

instead we have a letter from employer and payslips.... hope that works with the embassy. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 minute ago, 684117 said:

We do not have w2s or 1099s as we both live abroad and employed abroad. 

instead we have a letter from employer and payslips.... hope that works with the embassy. 

She did file US federal tax though, right? That's good.

Whatever documents she used to file tax should suffice.

If you haven't already; order tax transcripts as soon as they are available. I am not sure whether tax transcripts are available as electronic copy, but you can explore that option, if it becomes available before interview.

Timeline Info below:

Spoiler

04/21/16 -- Marriage

----- CR1 Process -----

USCIS Stage [222 days from NOA1]

06/08/16 -- Sent I-130

01/31/17 -- I-130 petition sent to NVC [Received Email notification and MyUscis status update]

NVC Stage [105 days from NOA2]

Embassy/Consulate (Interview) Stage [43 days from Case Complete to Visa in Hand]

05/18/17 -- Consulate Received. CEAC Case status changed to "Ready"

06/01/17 -- Medical Examination [Complete. It took around 2 hours. Total Cost INR 11650 for Surat City Apollo Clinic]

06/12/17 -- Biometric (OFC) Appointment

06/13/17 -- Interview [7:30 AM at Mumbai, India]. Visa Approved

06/15/17 -- Visa in hand

06/21/17 -- POE at DFW (Dallas, Texas)

----- Removal of Condition -----

Removal of Condition (I-751) [Approved]

06/18/2019 -- Sent the package (3 Days before GC expires, cutting it close). Sent to Lewisville, TX via FedEx Ground

06/19/2019 -- Package received at around 9:30 AM (Hoping I don't get rejected for missing deadline)

06/24/2019 -- Card was charged with $680 fees. Text Message received confirming Receipt. Case routed to NBC (Case Number starts with 'MSC')

06/28/2019 -- NOA Hard Copy & 18 Months Extension Letter Received in Mail with NOA Date as 06/19/2019

07/12/2019 -- Biomentrics Appointment Letter received. The Letter is Dated 7/5/2019. Appointment is on 7/22/2019

07/22/2019 -- Biometrics Appointment Complete

02/01/2022 -- Interview Scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Complete. No new Green Card will be produced as my Naturalization was also approved.

03/04/2022 -- USCIS status changed to approved.

----- Naturalization -----

Naturalization (N-400) [Approved]

03/26/2022 -- N-400 online application complete. NOA Date.

01/15/2021 -- Biometric Complete.

02/28/2022 -- Interview scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Passed. Status changed to 'we recommended that your application be approved...' and then to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'.

03/09/2022 -- Oath Ceremony was scheduled for 3/25/2022.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Have you checked to make sure the transcript is not available? Because we filed our taxes end of March and already had our tax return and the transcripts's been available on their website for about two weeks. 

You should have for the last three years so if 2016 is not available when you go for your interview, then print out 2013, just to be safe.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

If your 2014/2015 returns were more than sufficient, and there hasn't been any significant change financially then I doubt they will ask. My wife brought my 2016 tax documents (no transcript because it was too soon) and she was never asked for any of it.

4 minutes ago, bcking said:

If your 2014/2015 returns were more than sufficient, and there hasn't been any significant change financially then I doubt they will ask. My wife brought my 2016 tax documents (no transcript because it was too soon) and she was never asked for any of it.

They never asked for your tax documents? Is that common? What embassy was the interview at? 

Just now, Redheadguy03 said:

They never asked for your tax documents? Is that common? What embassy was the interview at? 

London embassy

They didn't ask for any documents from her other than her "originals" (Birth and Marriage Certification, Police certificate).

She also had a photo album ready but that didn't want to look at that either :(

4 minutes ago, bcking said:

London embassy

They didn't ask for any documents from her other than her "originals" (Birth and Marriage Certification, Police certificate).

She also had a photo album ready but that didn't want to look at that either :(

Hm well I guess as long as you got approved. (I'm hoping you did) 

I've heard London can be somewhat strict on some things(like financial support), but I obviously have no personal experience with it. 

Just now, Redheadguy03 said:

Hm well I guess as long as you got approved. (I'm hoping you did) 

I've heard London can be somewhat strict on some things(like financial support), but I obviously have no personal experience with it. 

It's only speculation but I would guess that before someone goes to the interview they have already judged whether the case is straightforward or if they want to confirm more evidence.

Our financials from prior years were more than sufficient, and I had already provided a copy of my contract with annual salary. I'm guessing they just didn't care. 

My wife said the lady was lovely and very nice, but it was very short. Yes she was approved and is with me now :)

They often look at a file before interview but typically you need the latest tax return or proof of extension.   2016 tax return would be ideal if the trt isnt available yet.  

Do you have assets or a joint sponsor or is the income continuing?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

2 hours ago, Tanish said:

She did file US federal tax though, right? That's good.

Whatever documents she used to file tax should suffice.

If you haven't already; order tax transcripts as soon as they are available. I am not sure whether tax transcripts are available as electronic copy, but you can explore that option, if it becomes available before interview.

She did. we only used the payslips from her employer abroad. 

1 hour ago, mallafri76 said:

Have you checked to make sure the transcript is not available? Because we filed our taxes end of March and already had our tax return and the transcripts's been available on their website for about two weeks. 

You should have for the last three years so if 2016 is not available when you go for your interview, then print out 2013, just to be safe.

We did check on the IRS website online (Get transcript my email or mail) when we submit the request for 2016 it says it is not available yet. 

We do have the US postal service receipt showing that we sent tax documents on April 3rd, should be a useful proof. Ill also print out the page that says the transcript is not available and might take up tp 8 weeks after sending in the documents to IRS. 

If I take 2013 transcript along, then on the affidavits of support for the last 3 years, you think I should add 2013,14,15  or 14,15,16? 

41 minutes ago, NikLR said:

They often look at a file before interview but typically you need the latest tax return or proof of extension.   2016 tax return would be ideal if the trt isnt available yet.  

Do you have assets or a joint sponsor or is the income continuing?

By 2016 tax return do you mean the 1040? 

We do have a joint sponsor (my in-laws) filing jointly, so they filled both 864 and 864A, combined for the last 3 years they make over 100K yearly (household size of 3) 

We are including our savings and checking accounts (about 80k US) and calculated current income from January to October (when we are planing on moving) and its above the guideline for a household of 2.

We will also have a duplicate 864 ready with her current income NULL as the source of income will stop, if they ask for it we will hand them the 2nd copy. 

Edited by 684117

How did you file your taxes? If you used a computer program you should be able to get a copy of the return, and if you used an accountant you definitely should have a copy.

If they want evidence from 2016, providing paperwork showing why you don't have a transcript won't be helpful. You should have a copy of your return just in case.

If you filled it out all by hand and mailed it, then yes your 1044. I don't know if you mail a return if you get some sort of confirmation that it has been received, but if you have that then bring that also. When you do it electronically you do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.