Using savings on Affidavit of Support

23 posts in this topic

wow congrats thats so fast!

Thank you. It is. One could have a million thought. I did know DCF was faster, but honestly it was fast to the point where we had to run around to complete all the necessary and I felt at some point I needed more time. I was ready to ask the consular section to postpone my interview if it were to be sooner than scheduled. Think we're all set now... hopefully things go well as we live in a super high fraud country with a tough embassy. But am not sure if suspicions should exist if we're both expats in that country. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Reading you comforts me 😂 

We are doing exactly the same. Added a letter for domicile with all steps, accounts back in the usa active since 2011, bought a car there recently, insurance, voting records abroad, investment, 2555, taxes, real estate inquiries driver license, communication with uni for phd programs for my USC wife ect...

for the affidavit we made 2 copies, one with 0 current and another with income, we are planning to move by December, therefore income for 2017 will be reported? Ill present the one with income, if asked ill hand out the one with 0. Both forms have the assets. We also have her parents as joint sponsors, just in case. 

You are confusing reported income from a tax return or income that will not continue from the same source, with the actual question on the affidavit, which is to indicate the income "you are using to qualify.....".   Since the income will not continue from the same source, current income "used to qualify..." is correctly stated as $0.

The tax section deals with PAST income, which is NOT used to qualify, unless self employed AND income will continue from the same source.  For example, I AM self employed and my primary income WOULD continue from the same source, no matter where I lived or for how long. 

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

On 5/7/2017 at 0:56 AM, Thesmiths2016 said:

wow congrats thats so fast!

Please I need to ask you about the part 6, 19a, b, c. the previous years tax returns. 

Did you include what ever you made abroad and filed on the for 2555? did you insert 0 or checked that you were not required to file? if you were not required because you made lower than the IRS requirement, what proof did you include? 

Thank you

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Money made abroad DOES NOT COUNT unless this income will continue after move to the US.

In this case, one needs a joint sponsor

If you made income abroad, you need to put the ''taxeable'' income in the correct box and include the relavent tax transcript with your affidavit.

If per chance, your income was below threshold for the year where you were needed to file a return, or if you made zero income, then you type zero in the box or whatever income it was, and then include a statement to ''whomsoever it may concern'' that you did not file an income tax return for the year as you did not earn enough to be required to file a return as per IRS rules for the year.

Please be aware, if you have financial assets over $10000/- abroad (outside the US) EVEN if you did not earn enough, you are still required to file a return.

further, if you are self employed, you are required to file if you earn over $400/-.

rgds.

Edited by patriot10

20 minutes ago, patriot10 said:

Money made abroad DOES NOT COUNT unless this income will continue after move to the US.

In this case, one needs a joint sponsor

If you made income abroad, you need to put the ''taxeable'' income in the correct box and include the relavent tax transcript with your affidavit.

If per chance, your income was below threshold for the year where you were needed to file a return, or if you made zero income, then you type zero in the box or whatever income it was, and then include a statement to ''whomsoever it may concern'' that you did not file an income tax return for the year as you did not earn enough to be required to file a return as per IRS rules for the year.

Please be aware, if you have financial assets over $10000/- abroad (outside the US) EVEN if you did not earn enough, you are still required to file a return.

further, if you are self employed, you are required to file if you earn over $400/-.

rgds.

We did file taxes, 1040 and 2555 with the IRS even though money made abroad was lower than the threshold set for the years we filed.  That was suggested by the tax lawyer my wife used back in 2012 when she back filed her taxes of 09 10 11.  He suggested to always file a 1040 and 2555 even if its lower than the required.

Hence my question about the figure we should insert in part 6. 19a,b,c. Is it 0 or the amount reported on forms 2555 of wages made abroad? 

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

While not necessary to file taxes if below the threshold but will never hurt to have filed the taxes and in fact, is always better to file than not to file, although taking care not to claim any unnecessary (and worse- false) deductions or credits.

Since you filed taxes, you need to put in box, income that you have shown after all deductions (or the standard deduction) and if that is zero, then you type zero as in this part, you write income that was liable to be taxed or income upon which you paid taxes as per the return or transcript of return that you are attaching with the said affidavit.

(in case of income being declared and deduction being taken under 2555, the cpa was absolutely right in getting you to file returns as you were supposed to file)

The returns are to be filed if you had income above threshold limits, simple as that. If during the process of filing and going through the 1040, after putting in the deductions and credits, if your tax to be paid is zero, that is an entirely different matter.

Simply put, being liable to file a return and having to pay no tax during filing are two different matters entirely.

Edited by patriot10

21 hours ago, 684117 said:

Please I need to ask you about the part 6, 19a, b, c. the previous years tax returns. 

Did you include what ever you made abroad and filed on the for 2555? did you insert 0 or checked that you were not required to file? if you were not required because you made lower than the IRS requirement, what proof did you include? 

Thank you

My husband who's the USC in our case, he's the one we filed returns for.  
Yes we put his actual income earned under the wages/salary part. We carried on as if it was a normal return, until we got to "taxable income" (on past years it was line 43). This then adjusts the totals to zero as you continue on the return.  

No proof was required.

Can you give me a year you're getting those part numbers from? I'll have a look at ours. Can you message me so I can send you back the details privately?

Got married: 26th Sep 2013 

I-130 Petition Process:

Sent petition to USCIS Chicago lockbox (via in-laws to put check in US$): 11 Mar, 2016

NOA1: 24 Mar, 2016 (email notification 30 Mar. Hardcopy 11 Apr)

Service Centre: NEBRASKA

NOA2: 3rd Aug 2016

Petition sent to NVC: 18th Aug 2016

NVC Stage

Case number assigned: 8th Sep 2016

Paid AOS Fee: 9th Sep 2016

Paid IV Fee: 14th Sep 2016

DS-260 submitted: 25th Jan 2017

AOS & IV Package sent: 25th Jan 2017

Expedite requested: 25th Jan 2017

Expedite approved (consulate only): 1st Feb 2017

Scan Date: 31st Jan 2017

Case Complete: 14th April 2017 (10 weeks 4 days)

Full expedite approved (bypass NVC to send file to embassy), however too late as I already had case complete 17th Apr 2017

Case arrived at Embassy: 21st April 2017

P4 letter received: 26th April 2017 (expedite at embassy stage so this came from the consulate, not NVC)

Medical date: 26th April 2017

Interview date: 4th May 2017 APPROVED!!

Visa received: 8th May 2017 

POE (entered the USA): 15th May 2017 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.