Gringuitico

Question about viability of using Co-Sponsor for K1 visas

9 posts in this topic

Howdy,

I am a US citizen currently living in Costa Rica (bonafide resident of a foreign country, dual citizen actually). I'm planning on applying for a K1 (fiance) visa prior to a move to the US.  

Background (before questions):

I have a stable, sufficient income in Costa Rica, which exceeds 125% of the US poverty line for a family of 3, but I'm paid in Costa Rica, so my AGI on my taxes shows $0, because all my income is Foreign Earned Income.  I have been lead to believe that my Costa Rica income does not qualify as income with respect to that form.  As such (I'm told), I would either need a formal job offer from the US (at a bare minimum, since I have no assets in the US, currently), or else get an affidavit of support from a 3rd party *(who DOES have US-based income).

Questions:

1) Can anybody here confirm whether or not this is true?

2) As it happens, I currently work for an international company that's headquartered in the US, and I have confirmed that I have the OPTION of being paid into a US account, rather than receiving my pay in Costa Rica.  I know that this would give me a valid us-based income starting ...whenever I start), but I also recognize that the history would be... complicated.  I know you're not lawyers, but... based on your experience, would you suspect that a couple pay stubs plus a letter from my employer stating my multiple years of work history with that company (and open-ended, full-time employment) would likely clear the bar of financial stability?

3) I read elsewhere that an affidavit of support from a 3rd party (i.e. co-sponsor) for a K1 visa may be rejected, since it's less legally enforceable by the government, vs an equivalent affidavit of support for a spouse IR1/CR1 visa, and even uses a different form.  Has anybody here had any trouble (or success) with using a co-sponsor for K1 visa?

Edited by Gringuitico

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not understand why you have a zero income on your US taxes.

If you can show that your current job and income would continue following a move to the US then the Consulate should use it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I have 2 answers to that question:

1) I have zero Adjusted Gross Income on my taxes because all of my income is Foreign Earned Income, which adjusts my AGI to zero (I don't earn beyond the threshold where FEI is taxed).

2) I can get a letter from my current employer that says my employment is open-ended for now, but... I don't plan to continue that job when I move.  I'd look for a different job, and wouldn't move until I had one.  

In thinking this out...loud... I'm realizing that I have a couple different paths here.  I can apply now and then have a life changing event (i.e. new job offer), or I can get the new job before applying.  The reason I'm contemplating applying BEFORE I move (or get a new job) is to get the process started, and give me more time to save up funds for the move itself (i.e. be able to pay things like plane tickets, rent, etc, for a couple months, not to mention all of the filing fees).

This is where I had previously planned to use a joint sponsor, but... since I read that this might be rejected for K1 visas, it's got me in a tizzy.

let me rephrase the salary part of my question:

Is there any advantage to switching my pay to be US-based (starting, say, next month) so that I could start the K1 visa process now, and move later, after finding a new job.  To be clear, it's guaranteed I will NOT continue this current job after moving.

If you are not going to continue your current job when you come back to the US then there is NO justification of using it.

Think about. 

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

3 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

If you are not going to continue your current job when you come back to the US then there is justification of using it.

Think about. 

I think you hit submit a little too soon... ;)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Just now, geowrian said:

I think you hit submit a little too soon... ;)

Sure did. :jest: Thanks, geowrain

Went  back and edited.

OP, in my last post I was saying there is NO justification to use the current income if you will no longer be working for that company after you return to the US.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

ok, entonces descartada esa opción.  Good to know.  Question #2 answered.

That brings me back to #1 & #3.  I believe I'm correct on #1, but... #3 has me worried.

Edited by Gringuitico

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I certainly am no expert on USC's and Overseas income other than it has to be declared and you can take a credit usually for foreign tax paid, part of the deal usually is that the company will pay the Accountant fees to file.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.