4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi All,

My fiance's interview date is April 18th, and I'm getting together the last of my I-134 documents. My mother is co-sponsoring us, and I'm getting her documents together too. She retired a number of years ago, but has funds in assets like IRAs, Trusts, and investments. These are diversified but invested through one overall investment company. I have a form with proof of how much money is in those funds, and how much from those funds are deposited into her bank account. Basically she has set it up like these assets are routinely depositing an "allowance" of funds into her account each quarter. She is not employed, but is receiving regular "income" on a quarterly basis from funds she has complete access to whenever. 

My questions are how I can put this information on the 1-134 form. Part 3 of the new 1-134 is employment information, so should I put that she's "self employed" even though she's retired? And how should I fill in her employers information when she doesn't have one? The income and assets information below will be filled in, and will show she is not at risk of going below the poverty line any time soon. Or should she check the "self employed" box and underneath put "self employed as retired"? I have information for the past 2016 year, but should I include information from any previous years? I'm going to include bank statements, just wondering how far back I should go. I am also sending her IRS tax transcript with the 1-134.

Although she is the main sponsor, I will also be submitting 1-134 info in the form of a letter from my employer, pay stubs and bank statements, and IRS tax form (though it doesn't show much). Should I include a statement from myself explaining that I have a co-sponor, or anything similar explaining the situation?

Anyone with any similar experience please help me steer us in the right direction!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
20 hours ago, ohyeapaige said:

My questions are how I can put this information on the 1-134 form. Part 3 of the new 1-134 is employment information, so should I put that she's "self employed" even though she's retired?

Sometimes these forms just don't quite fit every situation. You may think my answer is off the wall, but it worked for my interview in London. Example

I am currently:
1.a. Employed <-- (cross out and write "Retired" above it in pen) as a/an [accountant]
1.a.1. Name of Employer (if applicable) [British Petroleum] (where she retired from)

Income and Asset Information

3. My annual income is

[ use the number from Line 22 of her 2016 tax return]

(Include that return or transcript as documentation of that income)

4.Balance of all my savings and checking accounts in United States-based financial institutions

$

Go with her most recent statement. If most of her funds are with a place like Schwab, Edward Jones, etc, the statement probably includes values of each stock, mutual fund, cash as well as a Sum Value of all assets at the company. That should be sufficient documentation.  If it is sizeable like $40k or more, then no real need to list home, insurance, and those other asset categories. She will qualify with that one asset statement. 

So so basically she includes as proof

1) tax return to document yearly income line

2) Latest  financial statement from brokerage holding her assets.

3) ?? If she draws a pension or Social Security, then a statement from her pension or Social Security.

That will be enough for London.

20 hours ago, ohyeapaige said:

Although she is the main sponsor, I will also be submitting 1-134 info in the form of a letter from my employer, pay stubs and bank statements, and IRS tax form (though it doesn't show much). Should I include a statement from myself explaining that I have a co-sponor, or anything similar explaining the situation?

As a matter of true fact, if you don't make enough to qualify by yourself, then you don't even have to do an I-134. London will be happy to approve one I-134 submitted solely by mother. They are very flexible with the I-134 and documentation and require one sponsor, who doesn't have to be the fiancé. 

If by chance you have a job now that is at least 100% of the poverty level, you can qualify without mother.   An employer letter would be enough documentation for London. Add recent pay stubs if you want backup. Skip the tax return if last year was a low income year. It is not a requirement with the I-134 in London.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
On 3/24/2017 at 9:22 AM, Wuozopo said:

As a matter of true fact, if you don't make enough to qualify by yourself, then you don't even have to do an I-134. London will be happy to approve one I-134 submitted solely by mother. They are very flexible with the I-134 and documentation and require one sponsor, who doesn't have to be the fiancé. 

Your response is so detailed, thank you! Now I have just gotten my mother's tax transcript back, and in it she claims me as a dependent. Will that count against us? I know there is a section of the I-134 that asks how many dependents the sponsor has, will I now have to enter myself AND my fiance as her dependents?

Her funds are with Fidelity, and so far I only have a summary of all assets. Should I get more?

On 3/24/2017 at 9:22 AM, Wuozopo said:

If by chance you have a job now that is at least 100% of the poverty level, you can qualify without mother.   An employer letter would be enough documentation for London. Add recent pay stubs if you want backup. Skip the tax return if last year was a low income year. It is not a requirement with the I-134 in London.

I should have clarified before that I have only held this job since February, before that I was traveling to visit my fiance for quite some time and didn't work. My job before that also was borderline for meeting income requirements. That's why I decided to use a different sponsor. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.