Mostafa+Tracey

Finding A Job As A Foreigner

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi,

My husband will be in the states soon, God willing. My concern and I just thought of it, will he need to bring proof that he completed high school? i am sure he will but he has not kept any paperwork on this and has moved far from the city in which he finished school. How important is it to go on the search for it? Any and all responses will be appreciated. 

Depending on what he's looking for and how quickly he wants a job. What i noticed when looking for a job, the bigger companies only look for history. the will do a background check and you need proof you finished school and worked at certain places. Foreign diploma's seemed to be acceptable, at least i didn't need to get a translation. Also what i did when i moved, I asked for a formal letter from my old company and let them write down what i did and how long a was working there. Not sure if it helped but my first interview was at my current employer and i got this full time position within 4 months after i got my papers to work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
2 hours ago, Mostafa+Tracey said:

Hi,

My husband will be in the states soon, God willing. My concern and I just thought of it, will he need to bring proof that he completed high school? i am sure he will but he has not kept any paperwork on this and has moved far from the city in which he finished school. How important is it to go on the search for it? Any and all responses will be appreciated. 

Hello, you mentioned High School. Is that his end qualification? Or does he have a further education than that? If its a High School Diploma, I think it might be necessary for him to take the test on TASC or whatever is in your State. Then depending on whether he passes or not, they will recommend the next step. IF he decides to go for further education (community college, vocational or BSc/MSc or PhD) then proof of GED/TASC and TOEFL will be required. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Coming from Morocco...one can have a "high school" diploma then ontop of that his Baccalaureate degree, Most likely your SO speaks a few languages too....... be prepared .... He still might find it hard in the beginning finding employment.

What we did is enroll in Commmunity College to improve his English (ended up he tested on the highest level ...So was it necessary?) Yes, Productively it  was for contacts, a daily schedule and easy paced opportunities for him to acclimate into life over here.

He would take the bus, learn the city on his commute. Meet wonderful educators and ended up with a great recommendation from one of his teachers which he placed on his resume. Having never work in the U.S. it gave a little substance on paper.

Still it was a struggle to get that first chance. Finally it was a landscaping company that gave him his first .job.

I have so much more found respect to how hard landscapers work.

Uggh. He would come home Spent. Dirty. Tired. Sore but very happy to finally work. They loved his dedication to the job and That lead to advancement to foreman with very good health insurance. Over the years,He learned Alot but physically it was too much. Then, he applied for a plumbers apprentice. They trained while you worked on the lowest rung of the ladder. Basically Snaking other peoples CLOGGED drains with heavy machines.  Again it was a hard, dirty job but he was training with other advanced plumbers and on some jobs  learning pipe welding, water heater installation etc...Basically doing his time while getting health ins and a paycheck.  The jobs were very dirty and very physical, But in the meantime he saved to by his first car, then traded in for a truck while building credit.

So I guess my point is, be patient in your search. Take opportunities that you get and make them work.

ALSO>>>>People have different ways in Morocco. My husband took a lot personally in the beginning where I would have just brushed it off because I grew up here. We had many evening conversations about "that's just how people are"....and "that's how people handle business here". "Dont let it get to you. Its just that way here.." Kinda a growing and hardening phase. I admit, I am pushy compared to his ways. But I always called it assertive:whistle:

Now he has the best job so far. It is not Physically burdening, has nothing to do with Sh%T and he seems very content with goals of saving for his own business one day.

After the VISA journey is over your SO will have big adjustments and the next journey starts over here.....

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, Inluv said:

Coming from Morocco...one can have a "high school" diploma then ontop of that his Baccalaureate degree, Most likely your SO speaks a few languages too....... be prepared .... He still might find it hard in the beginning finding employment.

What we did is enroll in Commmunity College to improve his English (ended up he tested on the highest level ...So was it necessary?) Yes, Productively it  was for contacts, a daily schedule and easy paced opportunities for him to acclimate into life over here.

He would take the bus, learn the city on his commute. Meet wonderful educators and ended up with a great recommendation from one of his teachers which he placed on his resume. Having never work in the U.S. it gave a little substance on paper.

Still it was a struggle to get that first chance. Finally it was a landscaping company that gave him his first .job.

Uggh. He would come home Spent. Dirty. Tired. Sore but very happy to finally work. They loved his dedication to the job and That lead to advancement to foreman with very good health insurance. Over the years,He learned Alot but physically it was too much. Then, he applied for a plumbers apprentice. They trained while you worked on the lowest rung of the ladder. Basically Snaking other peoples CLOGGED drains with heavy machines.  Again it was a hard, dirty job but he was training with other advanced plumbers and on some jobs  learning pipe welding, water heater installation etc...Basically doing his time while getting health ins and a paycheck.  The jobs were very dirty and very physical, But in the meantime he saved to by his first car, then traded in for a truck while building credit.

So I guess my point is, be patient in your search. Take opportunities that you get and make them work.

ALSO>>>>People have different ways in Morocco. My husband took a lot personally in the beginning where I would have just brushed it off because I grew up here. We had many evening conversations about "that's just how people are"....and "that's how people handle business here". "Dont let it get to you. Its just that way here.." Kinda a growing and hardening phase. I admit, I am pushy compared to his ways. But I always called it assertive:whistle:

Now he has the best job so far. It is not Physically burdening, has nothing to do with Sh%T and he seems very content with goals of saving for his own business one day.

After the VISA journey is over your SO will have big adjustments and the next journey starts over here.....

Great and motivating read, thanks! :)

~~~

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Being in one of the areas of the country with the best states for education, his high school diploma from morocco will mean little but he should bring it

as stated before have him take GED classes and take the HISET test, go on and take training at a trade or college level

with his green card he will be able to work but give him a chance for more than a grunt job

be prepared to support him and let him have  chance at more 

incha allah

jeanne

Timeline
22 hours ago, Inluv said:

thank you for sharing :) i have seen the culture differences myself and how different we act here versus there and have forewarned him that life here will be very different and i do hope he can cope well with it...and that is so true...his culture people are very much submissive and us americans very aggressive....it doesnt at all fit the stereotype that our media portrays of Muslim people...i am happy to read a successful story.....i do hope my husband can find happiness here...one day at a time

Timeline
12 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

Being in one of the areas of the country with the best states for education, his high school diploma from morocco will mean little but he should bring it

as stated before have him take GED classes and take the HISET test, go on and take training at a trade or college level

with his green card he will be able to work but give him a chance for more than a grunt job

be prepared to support him and let him have  chance at more 

incha allah

jeanne

thank you Jeanne,

im ready willing and able to support him in all ways that i am able...financially and emotionally...thank you for good advice....and God bless :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.