TeeA10

NPC Birth Certificate Request by NVC

35 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-5 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

This is a question  for my Nigerian VJers, i will also be posting this on the Nigerian website as well. I got a checklist today from NVC for birth certificates. My lawyer called them ad was able to confirm that they are requesting fro a birth certificate issued by NPC, The National Population Commission, as opposed to the one issued by my Local Government which is the one i sent in. The problem is that NPC was established in 1988 and only started issuing BCs in 1992, years after i was born, and so cannot issue my birth certificate. I have asked my lawyers to call back and try and resolve this with a supervisor. Has any other Nigerian had the same experience and how did you resolve this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
2 hours ago, TeeA10 said:

This is a question  for my Nigerian VJers, i will also be posting this on the Nigerian website as well. I got a checklist today from NVC for birth certificates. My lawyer called them ad was able to confirm that they are requesting fro a birth certificate issued by NPC, The National Population Commission, as opposed to the one issued by my Local Government which is the one i sent in. The problem is that NPC was established in 1988 and only started issuing BCs in 1992, years after i was born, and so cannot issue my birth certificate. I have asked my lawyers to call back and try and resolve this with a supervisor. Has any other Nigerian had the same experience and how did you resolve this?

Go to NPC and get it done.  I was born 1980 and I got mine last year.  Get 2 sworn avidavite from family members to confirm your birth. Atleast that's how I got mine done. Goodluck. It's not a problem at all. 

Timeline
9 hours ago, Blondie26 said:

Go to NPC and get it done.  I was born 1980 and I got mine last year.  Get 2 sworn affidavit from family members to confirm your birth. Atl east that's how I got mine done. Goodluck. It's not a problem at all. 

Thanks for your response. Its not the getting the NPC attestation that is the issue per se. Say i get it in a few days and im able to scan to NVC. However, the ssue is its taking NVC an avearge of 11 weeks to review docs. I have already waited 10+ weeks for my review and to get this checklist. I cant wait another 11 weeks for the new BC to be reviewed. Besides the Nigerian Consulate website states the below, so technically the local government BC i submitted should be acceptable.

''Alternate Documents: For people born prior to 1979 or in some cases prior to 1988, a birth certificate issued by a Local Government Authority or a hospital or a baptismal certificate is acceptable. There is also the National Population Commission Attestation of Birth Certificate issued to people whose birth occurred before 1979 when the National Population Commission issued birth certificate was first introduced as a pilot program. Any of these is acceptable.

Timeline
7 hours ago, onileowo said:

They only recognizes the National population censors birth certificate. You can easily walk to their office to get it. It will take about three working days because of the affidavit from the court. I did mine at SURulere Lagos.

Thanks for your response. However, if they only accept the NVC one, why does their website state the below. Technically the local government one should be acceptable then.

''Alternate Documents: For people born prior to 1979 or in some cases prior to 1988, a birth certificate issued by a Local Government Authority or a hospital or a baptismal certificate is acceptable. There is also the National Population Commission Attestation of Birth Certificate issued to people whose birth occurred before 1979 when the National Population Commission issued birth certificate was first introduced as a pilot program. Any of these is acceptable.

I believe you should do what they requested or you can inform your lawyer that u will bring it to the interview if they will accept that. I understand your concern for waiting already 11weeks before saying this, just try and get it done......the earlier is Better. 

This is our 10weeks for waiting for NVC about our case too. They are really not help the matter at all. God will see us through them.

Edited by onileowo
Mistake of spelling

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
22 hours ago, Blondie26 said:

Go to NPC and get it done.  I was born 1980 and I got mine last year.  Get 2 sworn avidavite from family members to confirm your birth. Atleast that's how I got mine done. Goodluck. It's not a problem at all. 

Did you do yours based on the fact you don't have anyone from the local government, or its mandatory it has to be from the npc, because i also sent the one from the local government 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
1 hour ago, Lifeisbeautiful03 said:

Did you do yours based on the fact you don't have anyone from the local government, or its mandatory it has to be from the npc, because i also sent the one from the local government 

I did mine in my local government council secretariat . There is an NPC office there so it just worked out. Another thing you can do is to go to the hospital you were born and tell them to issue you another birth certificate. My inlaw did her's that way. 

This is an often misunderstood issue, so to clarify...

USCIS's standard is the long-form birth certificate issued by the National Population Commission -- no ifs or buts. 

However, for a number of reasons, many applicants can't meet that standard. For instance, applicants who were born before 1992 can't be issued an NPC birth certificate (the NPC could only issue birth certificates for people born after 1992, when it was established).

Such applicants can obtain an attestation of birth from the NPC but the attestation doesn't on its own meet the documentary standards of USCIS, which I stated above. You must also submit, along with the attestation, other supporting evidence of you date of birth, including:

• A declaration of age (affidavit) sworn in a high court by a relative, preferably the applicant's mother, who would have been old enough to have witnessed the birth
  • A baptismal certificate
  • Hospital records for the time of birth, etc.

So it's either:

• NPC long-form birth certificate, OR
  • NPC attestation of birth AND other evidence (the declaration of age is probably the easiest to get).

Don't play with this. Anything else and you'll get an RFE. Best of luck!

Timeline
3 hours ago, afrocraft said:

USCIS's standard is the long-form birth certificate issued by the National Population Commission -- no ifs or buts. 

However, for a number of reasons, many applicants can't meet that standard. For instance, applicants who were born before 1992 can't be issued an NPC birth certificate (the NPC could only issue birth certificates for people born after 1992, when it was established).

Such applicants can obtain an attestation of birth from the NPC but the attestation doesn't on its own meet the documentary standards of USCIS, which I stated above. You must also submit, along with the attestation, other supporting evidence of you date of birth, including:

• A declaration of age (affidavit) sworn in a high court by a relative, preferably the applicant's mother, who would have been old enough to have witnessed the birth

So it's either:

• NPC attestation of birth AND other evidence (the declaration of age is probably the easiest to get).

God bless you big 

Timeline
6 hours ago, afrocraft said:

So it's either:

Thanks for your contribution, however the US Condulate in Nigeria's website also states the below in addition to your above-stated; (i'm quoting exactly as is onthe website.

So Local government issued BCs are also acceptable as stated above.

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
14 minutes ago, TeeA10 said:

Thanks for your contribution, however the US Condulate in Nigeria's website also states the below in addition to your above-stated; (i'm quoting exactly as is onthe website.

So Local government issued BCs are also acceptable as stated above.

You are correct. My husband submitted a local government issued BC and it was accepted by the NVC. I submitted a Lagos state ministry of Health Certified BC and it was also accepted. 

At OP, call them again to seek clarification. If they do insist however, then do get the NPC attestation alongside sworn affidavit of either of your parents or a relative who witnessed your birth.

Goodluck.

Timeline
1 minute ago, geemummy said:

You are correct. My husband submitted a local government issued BC and it was accepted by the NVC. I submitted a Lagos state ministry of Health Certified BC and it was also accepted. 

At OP, call them again to seek clarification. If they do insist however, then do get the NPC attestation alongside sworn affidavit of either of your parents or a relative who witnessed your birth.

Goodluck.

Thanks so much, this encourages me. I am the OP. NVC has agreed to let a supervisor review it again and we are now awaiting their response. Will let you know. Thanks and have a nice day!

Timeline
13 hours ago, Blondie26 said:

I did mine in my local government council secretariat . There is an NPC office there so it just worked out. Another thing you can do is to go to the hospital you were born and tell them to issue you another birth certificate. My inlaw did her's that way. 

I just did mine today at ikeja, population office, they gave me a birth certificate, I was born before 1992 but he still gave me a certificate from npc, he said no need for attestation since he gave me a genuine certificate, did you also get a direct birth certificate too? 

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Lifeisbeautiful03 said:

I just did mine today at ikeja, population office, they gave me a birth certificate, I was born before 1992 but he still gave me a certificate from npc, he said no need for attestation since he gave me a genuine certificate, did you also get a direct birth certificate too? 

Thank you for letting me know. Depending on what stage you are at. If you have already been given a scan date by NVC , note that any additional docs forwarded to them again, resets your scan date to the date such docs was received by them. It is currently taking NVC between 10-12 weeks to review cases. Just FYI, so you can be sure to weigh your options carefully.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.