HannahP

Co-sponsor & NOA2 question.

27 posts in this topic

Woohoo. Another stupid question from yours truly. :whistle:

As a January filer, I'm anticipating (crosses fingers) that the NOA2 will come some time this month.

My initial plan was to have my father co-sponsor; he's pretty well off, whatever. But he's also rather lazy and stubborn. *His* idea is to "loan" me $15,000, which will greatly increase the money in my bank account and be easier for him than having to hunt down all the information he needs for the I-134. But I'm worried that someone will find it kind of suspicious that I suddenly had a rather large sum of money fall out of the sky? Has anyone had any experience with a co-sponsor that they could share with me?

Thank you in advance!

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

Hannah,

If you are unable to meet the criteria for the I-134 then yes you should be using an additional sponsor. The I-134 doesn't have the same criteria as the I-864 (filed at AOS) but if you are planning on using the same person for an additional sponsor on the I-134 and as a joint sponsor on the I-864, then they should be able to satisfy requirements on both. It will be a bit of a hassle getting the supporting documantation. If your father is unwilling to do this would it be possible to find someone else? The joint sponsor does not need to be a family member as you are the primary sponsor already (and subsequently you will need to file each form yourself also).

I am not aware of the technicalities of using a lump sum in lieu of ongoing/salaried income. I'm sure others will know more about that.

Good Luck

Sue

grenada.gifusa.gif

"We owe something to extravagance for thrift and adventure go seldom hand in hand." JJC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Woohoo. Another stupid question from yours truly. :whistle:

As a January filer, I'm anticipating (crosses fingers) that the NOA2 will come some time this month.

My initial plan was to have my father co-sponsor; he's pretty well off, whatever. But he's also rather lazy and stubborn. *His* idea is to "loan" me $15,000, which will greatly increase the money in my bank account and be easier for him than having to hunt down all the information he needs for the I-134. But I'm worried that someone will find it kind of suspicious that I suddenly had a rather large sum of money fall out of the sky? Has anyone had any experience with a co-sponsor that they could share with me?

Thank you in advance!

I don't think your father giving you a loan will be "proof" of your actual income. This may work on getting a home loan. But this is a different situation. It's too bad about the "lazy and stubborn" part you described. Having him be a co-sponsor isn't a difficult process. Maybe if you fill in a I-134 for him and show him there is not much to submit as support of the co-sponsor. Hopefully, he will give that little extra bit to help you out the right way.

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

I didn't think so, either. He just has very odd notions about how things work and it's hard to get him to change his ideas. Naturally, when I call him "lazy and stubborn" I mean it in the most loving way possible. ;)

I think I settled on him to co-sponsor because he makes the most money out of everyone that would be willing to help sponsor. But if he's too hesitant about it, I'll ask around. I'm not in an immediate hurry, but I thought that maybe some of the answers on this forum might help me persuade him to just collect the I-134 information.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I didn't think so, either. He just has very odd notions about how things work and it's hard to get him to change his ideas. Naturally, when I call him "lazy and stubborn" I mean it in the most loving way possible. ;)

I think I settled on him to co-sponsor because he makes the most money out of everyone that would be willing to help sponsor. But if he's too hesitant about it, I'll ask around. I'm not in an immediate hurry, but I thought that maybe some of the answers on this forum might help me persuade him to just collect the I-134 information.

Thanks!

Also 15k in the bank will probably be looked upon the same manner as assets, so it would be equivalent to having only 3000 more dollars to your annual income, assets are "prorated" (for lack of a better term) their value is spread over 5 years so 15k divided over 5 years=3k. Good luck.

July 17 2006 Sent I-129F to TSC

July 19 2006 packet received by TSC

July 27 2006 case received at CSC

July 28 2006 touched (to process/send NOA1)

Aug 01 2006 check cashed

Aug 05 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Oct 03 2006 Touched (RFE sent)

Oct 10 2006 RFE received and responded to

Oct 17 2006 Touched (CSC reply to RFE response)

Nov 06 2006 NOA2

Nov 21 2006 NVC sent to Manila

Blah

Blur

Drone

March 27 2007 Interview

April 02 2007 Visa delivered

April 05 2007 Happiness delivered

April 06 2007 First day of the rest of our lives

"There they go! I must hurry and catch them, for I am their leader."

Filed: Timeline

HannahP,

You have a valid concern. If your financial information is examined closely there may be questions about your bank account if your savings are out of line with your income. Games like this are not looked on favorably if they are discovered, and you don't want your credibility to become questionable when dealing with the DOS or USCIS.

Yodrak

My initial plan was to have my father co-sponsor; he's pretty well off, whatever. But he's also rather lazy and stubborn. *His* idea is to "loan" me $15,000, which will greatly increase the money in my bank account and be easier for him than having to hunt down all the information he needs for the I-134. But I'm worried that someone will find it kind of suspicious that I suddenly had a rather large sum of money fall out of the sky? .....

Alanlvsjudy,

Factor of 3, not 5, for sponsoring a spouse. For immigration, using I-864.

There is no comparable guidline for non-immigrant situations such as the K visas. Who knows how the consular officer will evaluate money in the bank? (Only the consular officer themself, or their supervisor who instructed them.)

Yodrak

Also 15k in the bank will probably be looked upon the same manner as assets, so it would be equivalent to having only 3000 more dollars to your annual income, assets are "prorated" (for lack of a better term) their value is spread over 5 years so 15k divided over 5 years=3k. Good luck.

I am glad that this topic was posted as it leads to a question that I have. I need a sponsor and he has agreed. I am under the impression that he will need his tax transcripts, employer letter, bank letter, and the I34? But I have heard from recent Jamaica applicants that they want the other affidavit form. So I plan on sending both. So my question is does my sponsor need just the affidavit or all that other stuff too?

Thanks.

HannahP,

You have a valid concern. If your financial information is examined closely there may be questions about your bank account if your savings are out of line with your income. Games like this are not looked on favorably if they are discovered, and you don't want your credibility to become questionable when dealing with the DOS or USCIS.

Essentially, this is what I was thinking.

We joke about how much easier this would be if he were an illegal immigrant from Mexico, but...argghhhhh.

FutureMrs,

"all that other stuff" is as important, if not more important than the I-134. Remember, the use of I-134 is required only at the discretion of the consular officer. It may not seem discretionary, because consular officers invariably exercise their discretion to ask for an I-134, but in any case it's essential that the figures for income and assets be documented whether those figures are presented via an I-134 or in some other way.

Yodrak

I am glad that this topic was posted as it leads to a question that I have. I need a sponsor and he has agreed. I am under the impression that he will need his tax transcripts, employer letter, bank letter, and the I34? But I have heard from recent Jamaica applicants that they want the other affidavit form. So I plan on sending both. So my question is does my sponsor need just the affidavit or all that other stuff too?

Thanks.

We joke about how much easier this would be if he were an illegal immigrant from Mexico, but...argghhhhh.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Not a cool thing to say.

Meh. It's a joke to me, but I apologize. I work in an ER that serves mostly the lower-class and homeless; I should have realized that the sense of humor that myself and my coworkers use to deal with the every-day stresses of our jobs is probably not pertinent to most of the population. :P

On a lighter note -

HannahP, I can relate to the 'odd notions' comment - my mother still thinks we (all of us) simply need to waltz down to our embassy and ask for a visa/stamp on our passports...lol... (I'm not even sure it worked like that 40 years ago when she/my dad did it...)

Ah..but parents..what can we do? Besides promise ourselves to never be exactly like them... :wacko:

*Aunts/Uncles are much more understanding ;)

^ Oh yeah. I've gotten so many "Why don't you just marry him and he'll be a citizen?" or -- my favorite -- "But he's Canadian! That's practically American anyway!"

For the longest time, my dad was under the impression that he could "hire a lawyer" to "get things done right away." As in, a lawyer might have some good 'ol boy connection and be able to materialize a visa the next day. *facepalms*

^ Oh yeah. I've gotten so many "Why don't you just marry him and he'll be a citizen?" or -- my favorite -- "But he's Canadian! That's practically American anyway!"

For the longest time, my dad was under the impression that he could "hire a lawyer" to "get things done right away." As in, a lawyer might have some good 'ol boy connection and be able to materialize a visa the next day. *facepalms*

:lol: Sounds vaguely familiar...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.