krnjin

DUI conviction and naturalization

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hello,

I know I've done a terrible and horrible mistake that left me a nightmare.

I got arrested for DUI on 6/2016 and had convicted as DUI last 10/2016 and still working on my way and reflecting on myself.

The worst part of the whole "DUI" happening was that I was scheduled to have an interview for naturalization on 7/2016. (Finished fingerprinting)

Well, I did go to the interview and told them what had happen a month ago. They told me that they cannot process any further due to the arrest and that I will be in probation. Therefore I withdrew.

Now, I am planning to pay off all the fines within 2~2.5 years and finish all the court ordered tasks so that I can hire an attorney for the early termination probation. After that, I am planning to re-apply for my naturalization. I've read many articles say that DUI doesn't automatically bar you from getting a citizenship. I even read a post about getting naturalized even before the 5 years of DUI conviction dates.

However, this is the part where I think I have messed up. My DUI case was a refusal DUI conviction, which I failed to follow the officer's orders.

I have not consulted this problem with any of the immigration lawyers yet. I just want to hear about you guys' opinions on whether to apply after my probation term is over (if I do get it off in 2.5 years) or just wait full 5 years after the probation period is over.

Any suggestions or stories that you know about DUI's and naturalizations?

Thanks in advance.

USCIS will likely dig into the circumstances surrounding your arrest and conviction whenever you apply. Given the nature of your DUI, it wouldn't surprise me if you had to wait the full five years for it to fall off from your "good conduct" period.

I am not an immigration lawyer, however, so consulting with at least a couple to see what they say would probably be the smart next move.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.