AliTan

US and Pakistan, we just want to meet, help!

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I understand your concern however...like traveling to any other country you have to stay alert.  I wouldn't go trekking through the isolated foothills but then again I wouldn't do that even in a "peaceful" country. Nothing like getting out and seeing the culture that you may be marrying into first hand.  Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Just do your research we tried to go to a visa free country for my fiance but they said it had to be a direct flight. If there is a layover it changes everything 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Renee2016 said:

Just do your research we tried to go to a visa free country for my fiance but they said it had to be a direct flight. If there is a layover it changes everything 

Ah yes, there's that difficulty too. I know many countries require a transit visa depending on the length of the layover, another reason why we're giving ourselves more time to figure it out. Maybe we'll end up in Dubai anyway. :)  I'm not against the idea. I just don't want to break any laws. I never realized how difficult it can be to travel for some people.

Edited by AliTan

• 8 months later...
Timeline

Just thought I would give an update. We were able to meet in August, unfortunately only for one week due to my work. We met at the airport in Abu Dhabi and flew to Seychelles together. Seychelles is visa on arrival. It was beautiful. We're now talking about starting the K1 process soon.

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Hi!

My fiance and I met on Whisper and we both started talking and skyping. He is from Pakistan and I'm from the US. We decided to meet in Dubai. We spent 2 weeks there. Dubai is very safe. He will need a visa, but it is very easy to get to the UAE. I met him at the airport, and met some of his family members there. We are now in the process of a K-1 visa. My mom and I are also traveling to Lahore to visit him and his family. 

I would meet in Dubai. You do not need a visa. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think that if you don't have photos with his family at least, it will be harder to get approved for the K1 visa.  If they ask about why he never met your family--Hey, because you guys wouldn't give him a tourist visa--hahaha!  But seriously, among Muslims, family support is a big thing.  I'm assuming he is Muslim because he is Pakistani.  If you do meet in a third country, is it possible for his family members to tag along to meet you too?  Or, could you maybe have this initial meeting in the third country, get engaged and then later do the family thing in Pakistan thing with his family?  I understand that you want to be together sooner.  However, I don't want to see you apply, go through the big long wait they put us all through and then have them turn you down over something like them doubting the veracity of your relationship due to lack of photos and proof of family approval.  They can be so mercurial in what they want for proof.  You want to start your lives sooner rather than later...  Also, is he really uncomfortable with you coming to Pakistan because of your safety or is it because he doesn't want you to see something?????  I don't want to judge someone I don't know.  I bet he is awesome!   But every once in a while someone meets someone who is less than honest.  Maybe it is better to meet the family and friends.  Protect yourself at all costs.  How many horror stories do we hear?  If he is above-board, he will respect your wishes.  You may need to stay with him and his family at all times and not go off alone to sight-see, but that is the point of your trip anyway.  Most of all, relax.  This is supposed to be a happy time.  Let it all come naturally.  Get those photos not just because of USCIS, but because you will want them one day for your family album.  Take care of yourself and use common sense.  Some of our cities in the USA are not that safe anymore either.  There are good people and bad people everywhere.  If your fiancé is a good Muslim man (or a good man in general) he will do his utmost to make sure nothing bad happens to you.  Let your family and friends know exactly where you are going and how long you will be and try to get your cell phone plan to give you international roaming or something.  You should be fine. 

Timeline

Hey guys, thanks for the input.  We went to Seychelles together in August. That worked out great and was beautiful. (Visa on arrival) We're going back in March. I wish we had the ability to spend more time together, but I just can't with my job. And unfortunately it's 30+ hours of travel one way, but I know you all understand the difficulties of these long-distance relationships. My family worries a lot about me any time I travel, and if I want them to remain on board with this, I don't want to stress them too much by going to Pakistan.  It may be biased, but most of what they know of Pakistan is what they see in the news.  His family is happy for him and I'm going to try to video call with his mom, aunt and sister soon.  They don't speak English and I don't speak Urdu, so he will have to translate.  His mom and sister are knitting me a sweater right now.  We will have pictures of them knitting it and pics of me wearing it, but I know that isn't much.  The denial stories on VJ scare me. It really shouldn't matter at all if either family approves, because we're adults.  But I know that cultural norms play a big role in decisions.  We're doing the best we can with our situation and hoping for the best.  If it's denied, then we'll have to determine our best plan B.  Good luck to you all on your journeys!

Timeline

Me and my fiance go to Dubai all the time and we stay together Dubai is very modern. The hotels are reasonable if u stay in Sharjah you can inbox me for help if you need it. I dont where you live but i take a direct flight its 16 hours from Lax. As an american you can also rent a car from enterprise there 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread now locked as the OP has posted their update back in October.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.