Zoubir2000

Red Flag! CR1 vs. K1?

16 posts in this topic

Hello VJers!

Born and raised in Morocco, I'm now a 55 years male and naturalized US citizen. My fiancee is 24. A 31 years difference! So I'm not going to ask if this is a red flag or not coz I know it is,  lol.

Amal and I met 6 years ago on a dating site. At that time, I was having some marital issues and doing some soul searching (mid-life crisis, I guess). I thought about divorce, but decided to put off that idea and give our marriage another chance... It didn't work!  My relationship with Amal grew stronger. We talked almost every day (Skype, Emails, Whatsapp) during the past 6 years, and despite our age difference, we got closer to one another and yes WE FELL IN LOVE! 2 years ago, I have filed for divorce and my wife and I have been separated since. Divorce was finalized last Dec'16 and now I'm ready to move on and start a new life with Amal. In these 6 years, I've taken 3 trips to Morocco and met Amal in person. I also met her family last year to convey my sincere intentions to enter into a bonafide marriage with their daughter, Amal. We had dinner at their house and even took a few pictures together (as a family that is). Frankly, after reading some of the "not so cheerful" stories about K1, and given the glaringly obvious 31 years age difference, I'm leaning towards doing a CR1. I know it takes longer (which SUCKS) and it may not be a "walk in the park" either, but it may be better than wasting time/money on a process that Casablanca consulate, with its infamous COs, is becoming notorious for shooting it down and freely handing out these seemingly endless APs with or without any good/valid reasons!

Your Thoughts Please...

Thank you in advance!

Just now, Zoubir2000 said:

Any takers please...?

Hello VJers!

Born and raised in Morocco, I'm now a 55 years male and naturalized US citizen. My fiancee is 24. A 31 years difference! So I'm not going to ask if this is a red flag or not coz I know it is,  lol.

Filed: Other Country: Jordan
Timeline

i wish you luck friend...i have the same problem with the age but im a female of 48 marrying a younger man of 24....and your story is almost identical to mine.....except we have not filed yet.....its such a hard process....im in the states as well....hes from jordan.....have been together 2 1/2 years.....its a shame embassies cant see the love between to people instead of making decisions upon age differences....there are some bad apples out there....and they do ruin it for us good people...as i you will look into the difference between the the cr1 and k1....good luck sir...

Just now, AmericanGirl68 said:

i wish you luck friend...i have the same problem with the age but im a female of 48 marrying a younger man of 24....and your story is almost identical to mine.....except we have not filed yet.....its such a hard process....im in the states as well....hes from jordan.....have been together 2 1/2 years.....its a shame embassies cant see the love between to people instead of making decisions upon age differences....there are some bad apples out there....and they do ruin it for us good people...as i you will look into the difference between the the cr1 and k1....good luck sir...

Thank you so much and best of luck to you too! I think CR-1 maybe more convincing to them, hence, I'm leaning towards that instead, unless someone thinks otherwise! Cheers!

Edited by Zoubir2000

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Honestly, I don't see Hugh  red flags.  The age thing, I would say yes could raise a flag, but in your case, your older,  the male AND the Petitioner- US Citizen.

But good things, your both from Morocco, same culture, and I would guess same religion,.

Send as much evidence as you can, the pics with family is great.  I think you would be fine with a K1

Not trying to discourage you, but even if your married and filed for a CR1, does not make the odd more in your favor.  Morocco is a tough one when it comes to the interview.

Just have all the evidence you can for whichever visa you file for. Front load it to the hilt.

If you marry there in Morocco, it will take a while, so prepare in advance if you can for that of all your need.

Very best wishes on whichever journey you decide.

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Timeline
1 hour ago, Zoubir2000 said:

Thank you Sir.  

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

happy tom and jerry GIF

11 hours ago, Zoubir2000 said:

Hello VJers!

Amal and I met 6 years ago on a dating site. At that time, I was having some marital issues and doing some soul searching (mid-life crisis, I guess). I thought about divorce, but decided to put off that idea and give our marriage another chance... It didn't work!  My relationship with Amal grew stronger. We talked almost every day (Skype, Emails, Whatsapp) during the past 6 years, and despite our age difference, we got closer to one another and yes WE FELL IN LOVE! 2 years ago, I have filed for divorce and my wife and I have been separated since. Divorce was finalized last Dec'16 and now I'm ready to move on and start a new life with Amal. In these 6 years, I've taken 3 trips to Morocco and met Amal in person. I also met her family last year to convey my sincere intentions to enter into a bonafide marriage with their daughter, Amal. We had dinner at their house and even took a few pictures together (as a family that is). Frankly, after reading some of the "not so cheerful" stories about K1, and given the glaringly obvious 31 years age difference, I'm leaning towards doing a CR1. I know it takes longer (which SUCKS) and it may not be a "walk in the park" either, but it may be better than wasting time/money on a process that Casablanca consulate, with its infamous COs, is becoming notorious for shooting it down and freely handing out these seemingly endless APs with or without any good/valid reasons!

Your Thoughts Please...

Thank you in advance!

I actually found one time online an immigration officer manual where there were  red flags listed....I could never find it again though. Then I listened to an interview of an immigration officer. He said that before they would consider that a red flag but not nowadays, as they look at other signs as well in addition to this one and most likely it is not a red flag any more. I think this interview should be still on youtube. I met one girl one day who got married to a US citizen who was 30 years older than her. Then she divorced him...one could probably assume that the age difference could signalize a red flag, but several years later to my surprise I found out, she got married with another guy after she got her permanent GC and the guy was 30 years older than her again. So I  don't believe they look at it as a red flag alone any longer.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Zoubir2000 said:

The BIG red flag can be when the woman, US Citizen is WAY older then the guy-beneficiary...... I don't think he has any problems here.  :) 

Thank you Sir.  

Edited by Beth & Achraf

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
13 hours ago, Zoubir2000 said:

Hello VJers!

Your Thoughts Please...

Thank you in advance!

Just an outsider's critical eye....from what you wrote. You met your now fiance when she was 18 on a dating website and you were married at the time.

Your divorce to the first wife was finalized about 2 months ago, Dec 2016. IN the 6 years of getting to know your fiance and visiting her you were still married.

Your a Naturalized Citizen now....How did you get to the U.S? Was it also through a marriage?

I am not sure you being the 31 years older male is a big red flag. The age gap here in MENA is for Older females "Past the ripen child bearing age"  marrying young men.

Seems like you already have your answer.....

I'm leaning towards doing a CR1.

I know it takes longer (which SUCKS) and it may not be a "walk in the park" either, but it may be better than wasting time/money on a process that Casablanca consulate, with its infamous COs, is becoming notorious for shooting it down and freely handing out these seemingly endless APs with or without any good/valid reasons!

I have to call you on the last part of your post. I am in no way defending CASA...but having gone through both visas and lot of wait time for the AOS... I still understand we just came before a big FRAUD investigation where an organized group of people took advantage of the system and LIED from Morocco.

CASA might just have good reasons, not just keeping people whom are in love, apart from each other.

Good Luck.

event.png

event.png

28 minutes ago, Inluv said:

Thank you for your input! Below, please find answers/clarifications to some of the questions/observations you've raised...

Just an outsider's critical eye....from what you wrote. You met your now fiance when she was 18 on a dating website and you were married at the time. That is correct. I was in the midst of a rocky marriage, and started having an urge to chat with other women ( specifically from Morocco). a) to get advise/opinion on my situation/feelings, and b) maybe more importantly, to vent out, as I just wanted to be heard and listened to, I guess...and that's when I met Amal, and what a great listener she was, despite her very young age!!!

Your divorce to the first wife was finalized about 2 months ago, Dec 2016. IN the 6 years of getting to know your fiance and visiting her you were still married. Correct! Although there were periods of time when I was trying to work things out with my wife, based on recommendations from some chat friends, including Amal, at the time!

Your a Naturalized Citizen now....How did you get to the U.S? Was it also through a marriage? Yes (almost 30 years ago).

I am not sure you being the 31 years older male is a big red flag. The age gap here in MENA is for Older females "Past the ripen child bearing age"  marrying young men. I totally see your point and have read similar comments here on this great forum, but I wish COs would think like you do :) They may think (and I would to, if I didn't know any better) that Amal may be just another gold digger trying to say/do anything to get out of Morocco...

Seems like you already have your answer.....

I'm leaning towards doing a CR1. Well sort of...but I still want to get different opinions, ideas, and tips from those who have been there or are going through similar experiences...

I know it takes longer (which SUCKS) and it may not be a "walk in the park" either, but it may be better than wasting time/money on a process that Casablanca consulate, with its infamous COs, is becoming notorious for shooting it down and freely handing out these seemingly endless APs with or without any good/valid reasons!

I have to call you on the last part of your post. I am in no way defending CASA...but having gone through both visas and lot of wait time for the AOS... I still understand we just came before a big FRAUD investigation where an organized group of people took advantage of the system and LIED from Morocco.

CASA might just have good reasons, not just keeping people whom are in love, apart from each other.

My apologies, if I've offended you or anyone else for that matter. I too love Morocco, but I was just stating some facts, based on what I've been reading on this great forum vis-a-vis "K1 Visa Process". I was not aware of the "big FRAUD investigation" you're referring to. But still, that's shouldn't be an excuse to "throw everybody under the bus" et mettre tout le monde dans le meme sac!

Good Luck. Thank You Again!

Edited by Zoubir2000

Timeline

There was no offense taking on my part nor was I judging you so please understand why I pointed these things out.

Once you file

the dates will match up. when you met. still married etc...How you met....

It is no way my business what brought you to this situation. So please no more personal info on here.

I was merely pointing out the facts that the CO will take in.

And yes there was a case against a group that was caught....one of the women even come on here after and posted complaining about being ratted out. But I am not indicating that was the only reason or biggest reason...just know my journey came right after they started scrutinizing and DENYING most K1. It is alot eased now beleive it or not.

Again

Good Luck and Welcome to VJ. The info on here is invaluable.

event.png

event.png

Timeline

in case there is doubt....we were all teed off when the lady named fatima joined in and posted...

in VJ search type in

Geez Louise

Edited by Inluv

event.png

event.png

19 hours ago, Zoubir2000 said:

Hello VJers!

Your Thoughts Please...

Thank you in advance!

I'm not sure the 31 year age difference is quite as big of an issue in your situation. It's a big age difference, sure. But age difference alone doesn't make it a red flag. It depends entirely on customs and what's considered normal in the countries and cultures in question. Consider the following:

You're originally from Morocco. She's from Morocco. I'm no expert on Moroccan customs and norms, but is the 31 year age difference completely unheard of in Moroccan traditions and culture? My guess is, it plays to your benefit that you're male and she's female. Not because the COs are horrible misogynists, but rather, it's more normal for an older man to marry a younger woman than it is vice versa, so it doesn't scream "WARNING" from the get go.

If you can reasonably document what you're writing here, you should be fine. They might raise some eyebrows, but it isn't entirely unheard of in the United States (and I assume Morocco) for an older male to marry a much younger woman. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.