Tuan Tran

Help! Canada Post Lost my Wife Visa/Landing Paper

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm a U.S Citizen and my wife is a Canadian citizen. Her CR1 visa was finally approved after her interview on Jan.9. The Consulate sent a package with her stamped passport and landing paper on January 11 and the package supposed to arrive on Jan 13. However, the package mysterious disappear in the Montreal sorting facility. We were supposed to give the CSRA(courier) and Canada Post 10 business days to investigate. They about to declare it lost in 1 day and I have no idea how to get a new package issue. I know we have to reapply for a new passport, but do we need to send it to the Montreal office or can we just take it to any Consulate office in Canada? We prefer not to deal with Canada Post again, if we have the option. I spent countless hours calling every office, but nobody has any idea and just send me around different department. I also emailed Montreal-iv-dv@state.gov, but still no response after 6 business days. Have anyone experience this before and know how long the process will take for a new package? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Edited by Tuan Tran

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to hear about your situation but if Canada Post did lose the package, then you are looking at quite a lengthy process to get everything done. You would need to report and get a new passport. Instructions can be found here ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/security/lost-stolen.asp . You also have to inform the consulate in Montreal about the lost and get instructions on how to get a replacement CR1 package. To the best of my knowledge, only the US Consulate General in Montreal handles IR1/CR1 (spousal) visa so you most likely have to take the new passport to them to get a new stamp and landing paper. When you email the consulate in Montreal, make sure to include your case information such as case number (subject line), full name of applicant and sponsor, date of birth of applicant and sponsor (in body), etc. Properly structured email will most likely get a faster response. 

Good luck!

Timeline after visa approval

Immigrant fee paid on ELIS - Jan 24th

POE - Jan 25th

Update on GC and SSN

(as of March 14th, 2014)

ELIS status - Closed (Card produced)

USCIS case check with receipt number (starts with IOE) - Card delivered in the mail

SSN - Received (Went to SSA location to apply for one)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 Naturalization Process

N-400 package mailed in - Nov 7th

Payment posted on cc account - Nov 10th

NOA (hard copy) - Nov 14th

Biometrics - Dec 7th

In Line - Dec 27th

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old but would you mind telling how your situation resolved?

I'm currently in a similar position where my wife's package was supposed to be delivered yesterday but the tracking stops at Montreal. I've contacted canadapost to start the investigation and also emailed the embassy in Montreal to see if they can track. The package was shipped xpresspost on Thursday (3/22) so it should have arrived by now since its a 2 business day service. At the very least, the tracking should showed scanned in Richmond.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, kbmoon said:

I know this thread is old but would you mind telling how your situation resolved?

I'm currently in a similar position where my wife's package was supposed to be delivered yesterday but the tracking stops at Montreal. I've contacted canadapost to start the investigation and also emailed the embassy in Montreal to see if they can track. The package was shipped xpresspost on Thursday (3/22) so it should have arrived by now since its a 2 business day service. At the very least, the tracking should showed scanned in Richmond.

Hi Kbmoon. It was a nightmare dealing with this, but luckily for me, Canada Post was able to find our package 5 weeks later. Canada post said the package was placed in one of those huge cargo containers(not sure how) by mistake. Throughout this whole process, I was working directly with a representative from CSRA(Courier), i'm not sure if the embassy still work with them or not. The representative asked me to give it a month before declare it as lost. He said from experience that all missing packages will always show up within a month.

I would give it at least a month before declaring it as "lost". If its lost, then CSRA would reimburse you $500, BUT your wife would have to reapply for her passport then send it back to embassy(montreal) to have it restamp which could take up about 2-3 months. Remember, once you decide to report it as "lost" then the "lost" passport will be invalid even if they find it afterward. Really hope Canadapost would find your package, I know how frustrating this situation is and I wish you the best of luck.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, Tuan Tran said:

Hi Kbmoon. It was a nightmare dealing with this, but luckily for me, Canada Post was able to find our package 5 weeks later. Canada post said the package was placed in one of those huge cargo containers(not sure how) by mistake. Throughout this whole process, I was working directly with a representative from CSRA(Courier), i'm not sure if the embassy still work with them or not. The representative asked me to give it a month before declare it as lost. He said from experience that all missing packages will always show up within a month.

I would give it at least a month before declaring it as "lost". If its lost, then CSRA would reimburse you $500, BUT your wife would have to reapply for her passport then send it back to embassy(montreal) to have it restamp which could take up about 2-3 months. Remember, once you decide to report it as "lost" then the "lost" passport will be invalid even if they find it afterward. Really hope Canadapost would find your package, I know how frustrating this situation is and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for your help.

Yes we also currently have a CSRA agent helping us with the investigation and search. I wonder how long they search for before deeming lost? Its amazing they can lose such important documents in this day and age. Its been a nightmare for us the past few days. No one seems to help and only gives us vague answers. I called the embassy and visa centers and neither were able to tell me how long it would take to re-stamp her passport with landing papers. I can't imagine it taking 2-3 months.

Anything after the fact with Montreal traditionally takes several months to complete.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 4 years later...
Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/28/2018 at 3:19 PM, kbmoon said:

Thanks for your help.

Yes we also currently have a CSRA agent helping us with the investigation and search. I wonder how long they search for before deeming lost? Its amazing they can lose such important documents in this day and age. Its been a nightmare for us the past few days. No one seems to help and only gives us vague answers. I called the embassy and visa centers and neither were able to tell me how long it would take to re-stamp her passport with landing papers. I can't imagine it taking 2-3 months.

Hi @kbmoon

did u find your passport?

what Canada Post said, I am in similar situation 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Waiting_ever said:

Hi @kbmoon

did u find your passport?

what Canada Post said, I am in similar situation 

Ypu have posted on an inactive thread. Ask your question in a new post 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Zombie thread locked to further replies. Please stop digging out 5 & 11 year old threads to ask questions in. What someone did 5 -11 yrs ago most likely won't be the same steps needed today.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.