KurosawaSan

J1 Waiver - Sponsor Views

38 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
8 hours ago, KurosawaSan said:

Just following-up to close this thread, but I checked the site today and it shows that the DOS issued a not favorable recommendation.

C'est la vie.

Sorry to hear that - do they give you a reason why?

13 hours ago, KurosawaSan said:

Just following-up to close this thread, but I checked the site today and it shows that the DOS issued a not favorable recommendation.

C'est la vie.

Omg. Sorry to hear that. I understand what you feel, after loooong wait 😤and then this? So sorry again 😞😒😕

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

All in all, not unexpected as the funds for the program were sourced from the US Government, so I was morally prepared for a rejection.

Here I go, with a couple of months left to "serve" back in the country of birth.

15 minutes ago, KurosawaSan said:

@Coco8 the program was about 3 months long and total investment was around $2,800 - $3,000

Oh, no! I thought that originally you had said you were FLEX (year long program) and had received about 15,000. I must have been confused. The information you wrote now sounds similar to mine. :blush: 

Do you know which branch wrote your "sponsor views"? I found the April 2017 directory of DoS here, 

https://www.state.gov/documents/organization/112065.pdf

Mine will got to one of branches under the "ECA/A/E".

Edited by Coco8

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Estonia
Timeline

Hello guys, 

i am in dilemma about what to do right now.

I was on a J1 visa last year ( summer work and travel) subjected to a 212e (skill list as a Med Physics masters student). I decided to come to the US on the same program this year as i have nothing doing this summer. It happens that i am subject again on the new visa. Which makes two separate 212e rule on two different J1 visas. I didn't really think about it last year as i do not have plans to remain in the country. However, this year, it is different ( I had written and passed the board exam so i am seeking any available opportunities for career growth here in the us) .

My question is would i need to apply for two separate waivers (two separate applications) or just one will do.

what possible reason will i give?

How do i convince my sponsor to issue me a No objection letter (required to apply for No objection statement)

Can my sponsor terminate my J1 visa if they found out i am seeking for a waiver?

is it even possible to get 2 waivers if that is what i need to do?

6 hours ago, Radioactive said:

I was on a J1 visa last year ( summer work and travel) subjected to a 212e (skill list as a Med Physics masters student). I decided to come to the US on the same program this year as i have nothing doing this summer. It happens that i am subject again on the new visa. Which makes two separate 212e rule on two different J1 visas.

If you are subject due to being on the skill list, then you have to do a "no objection" waiver. You need your embassy to send a "no objection statement" to DOS saying that they don't mind that you don't go back, etc. See the instructions on the state department J1 waiver website. Also, find out the procedure to request the letter through your embassy in the US.

My question is would i need to apply for two separate waivers (two separate applications) or just one will do.

what possible reason will i give?

You only need to do the waiver once. You have to list all your J1s on the form you have to fill out. 

How do i convince my sponsor to issue me a No objection letter (required to apply for No objection statement)

Can my sponsor terminate my J1 visa if they found out i am seeking for a waiver?

is it even possible to get 2 waivers if that is what i need to do?

Sponsor is only when you got funded/sponsored by the US government. If that is not the case (because you said you were subject due to skill list), then you don't need a sponsor views as explained in this thread. The no objection letter is done by your country through the embassy.

You should look into the other J1 threads on VJ.

Edited by Coco8

Timeline
6 hours ago, Coco8 said:

If you are subject due to being on the skill list, then you have to do a "no objection" waiver. You need your embassy to send a "no objection statement" to DOS saying that they don't mind that you don't go back, etc. See the instructions on the state department J1 waiver website. Also, find out the procedure to request the letter through your embassy in the US.

You only need to do the waiver once. You have to list all your J1s on the form you have to fill out. 

Sponsor is only when you got funded/sponsored by the US government. If that is not the case (because you said you were subject due to skill list), then you don't need a sponsor views as explained in this thread. The no objection letter is done by your country through the embassy.

You should look into the other J1 threads on VJ.

Thank you for replying.

Regarding the Sponsor part of your post. i just need clarification. There are organizations here that takes care of the whole process (finding employer, insurance, Ds2019, Sevis etc). i do know they are called sponsors and are listed on the the J1 visa (Summer work and travel) page by the DoS (https://j1visa.state.gov/participants/how-to-apply/sponsor-search/?program=Summer Work Travel&state=any)

Is "Sponsorship" in terms of Waiver application different (Us govt funding, private funding, funding in general)?

Does that mean stage where DoS contact "sponsor" during the Waiver process for "Sponsor view" will be skipped for me if Sponsorship translate to US govt funding?

Thank you for your time. 

11 minutes ago, Radioactive said:

Thank you for replying.

Regarding the Sponsor part of your post. i just need clarification. There are organizations here that takes care of the whole process (finding employer, insurance, Ds2019, Sevis etc). i do know they are called sponsors and are listed on the the J1 visa (Summer work and travel) page by the DoS (https://j1visa.state.gov/participants/how-to-apply/sponsor-search/?program=Summer Work Travel&state=any)

Is "Sponsorship" in terms of Waiver application different (Us govt funding, private funding, funding in general)?

Does that mean stage where DoS contact "sponsor" during the Waiver process for "Sponsor view" will be skipped for me if Sponsorship translate to US govt funding?

Thank you for your time. 

The DoS doesn't care when the sponsor is from another country. That gets resolved by the "no objection waiver" from your embassy. How it gets resolved, depends on the country. Some embassies get in touch with the sponsor and ask them if they agree to remove the requirement. This usually happens when the sponsor is a government agency or university from your own country, but it doesn't happen is you paid a private agency for "work & travel". 

So basically, DoS won't contact anyone from your country. The embassy will send them the letter and that is it. I recommend that you contact your embassy as soon as possible because there is a lot of variation across countries on how long they take. Mine did it in 3 weeks but others take months. 

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
On 4/21/2017 at 3:39 PM, Coco8 said:

The DoS doesn't care when the sponsor is from another country. That gets resolved by the "no objection waiver" from your embassy. How it gets resolved, depends on the country. Some embassies get in touch with the sponsor and ask them if they agree to remove the requirement. This usually happens when the sponsor is a government agency or university from your own country, but it doesn't happen is you paid a private agency for "work & travel". 

So basically, DoS won't contact anyone from your country. The embassy will send them the letter and that is it. I recommend that you contact your embassy as soon as possible because there is a lot of variation across countries on how long they take. Mine did it in 3 weeks but others take months. 

That said, they can still request sponsor views from the sponsoring organization if the organization leveraged US funds for the program.

Timeline
On 4/22/2017 at 8:24 PM, KurosawaSan said:

That said, they can still request sponsor views from the sponsoring organization if the organization leveraged US funds for the program.

How would you know if the organization leverage US funds for the program? cos i did pay the organization over a thousand dollars and i have my receipt 

this is the organization

https://www.chinet.org/about-us/

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.