AP16

Sent AOS to wrong address

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello everyone...

After no notice of AOS for almost a month, we found out that we mailed it to the wrong address. Instead of Chicago Lockbox, we used the USCIS Chicago Field Office address.

What will happen now, most likely? They will mail it back to us or it's lost?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

After a month... it might get returned but it might just be sitting on someones desk waiting to be looked at or just in a box of other paperwork that was sent to them by mistake... or it was thrown out.. maybe call them and inquire? Did you make copies of everything from the packet? If so I might start putting another one together to send to the correct location.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
Just now, Ben&Zian said:

After a month... it might get returned but it might just be sitting on someones desk waiting to be looked at or just in a box of other paperwork that was sent to them by mistake... or it was thrown out.. maybe call them and inquire? Did you make copies of everything from the packet? If so I might start putting another one together to send to the correct location.

Yes, we have copies of everything, plus the USPS and money order receipt. The problem will be getting the money from the money order back, I don't know how that works or how long it takes, plus my I-94 expires on Sunday and I'm worried about that. The only document I have is a Social Security Card.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

I just called USCIS, currently waiting for the Officer to call back. Tier 1 said there's a chance they will forward it to the right address.

Edited by AP16

Timeline

Ok, so we trasked the money orders and they were not cashed.  Still, apparently we will have to wait 60 days after the money orders were purchased to get the money back. My I94 expires on Sunday, so yeah... I'mean pretty worried about being out of Status all this time. Can anyone give advice?

It's not an ideal situation but won't cause you any harm - immigration related. The only thing bad out of it it's the time you've lost, but that's not too bad.

I was out of status for around 2 months between moving states and gathering the paperwork needed, it never came up during my interview and I have my green card. Overstays are forgiven for us citizens spouses.

Id start preparing a new packet and go for it, using the right address this time. I have no clue how money orders work, but would try to get the one you sent suspended or canceled before doing anything though.

good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Why are you so worried about your i-94 expiring? It won't affect you or your AOS application at all.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
On 1/20/2017 at 8:14 PM, p-ana said:

It's not an ideal situation but won't cause you any harm - immigration related. The only thing bad out of it it's the time you've lost, but that's not too bad.

I was out of status for around 2 months between moving states and gathering the paperwork needed, it never came up during my interview and I have my green card. Overstays are forgiven for us citizens spouses.

Id start preparing a new packet and go for it, using the right address this time. I have no clue how money orders work, but would try to get the one you sent suspended or canceled before doing anything though.

good luck.

Thank you for always helping me out here! I feel better now!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Why are you so worried about your i-94 expiring? It won't affect you or your AOS application at all.

Being out of Status and without any document to show authorities worries me. It's not because of AOS, but mostly because of this time that I will be basically no one here. 

Truth is I'm looking forward, a lot, to start working and studying. Helping with the bills. Being someone. I left everything behind to come here. A good degree, a good career, a good income. I'm 26 years old and I'm starting from scratch. My wife works 12 hours a day in a job she doesn't like because of me. I just want to help. This situation is psychologically very hard. I just want to be done with immigration, get my documents and become an asset to society. Working, studying, paying taxes, living my marriage without so much uncertainty. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 minutes ago, AP16 said:

Being out of Status and without any document to show authorities worries me. It's not because of AOS, but mostly because of this time that I will be basically no one here. 

Truth is I'm looking forward, a lot, to start working and studying. Helping with the bills. Being someone. I left everything behind to come here. A good degree, a good career, a good income. I'm 26 years old and I'm starting from scratch. My wife works 12 hours a day in a job she doesn't like because of me. I just want to help. This situation is psychologically very hard. I just want to be done with immigration, get my documents and become an asset to society. Working, studying, paying taxes, living my marriage without so much uncertainty. 

So it has nothing to do with the i-94 then, but about you wanting the process to begin and be finished. That I can understand, it'll be nice to be done with USCIS funtil ROC, I think we all feel that way. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Scandi said:

So it has nothing to do with the i-94 then, but about you wanting the process to begin and be finished. That I can understand, it'll be nice to be done with USCIS funtil ROC, I think we all feel that way. 

The I-94 expiring just adds up because it makes me feel more "vulnerable", kinda. But yes, I trust people here, I talked to a friend who's an immigration attorney and I'm graduated in law myself. I understand that it won't affect my process. 

6 hours ago, AP16 said:

Oh...that sounds like me... only I'm doing it at 34... ;)

We all want to get there,  you're not alone :)

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Timeline

Ok, update about this situation: my package was sent back to me on December 29 and got at the Post Office on January 6. BUT the USCIS apparently forgot to put my apartment number on the address, so the USPS couldn't deliver it. It has been sitting there since. The USPS didn't even bother to go to the leasing office here at the apartment complex and ask for my name. And the USCIS also overlooked my apartment number that was all over the envelope I sent them. The only reason I got my package back is that the guy I spoke to when I asked about my money orders at the USPS Office saw my name on the package after almost a month and recognized it. Then he put my apartment number there and the postman left a notice in our mailbox stating that I should go to the office to pick up my package because it was about to be returned to the sender (USCIS). 

Well, I got my package back! But. Thanks to this major mess I lost all this time and my I-94 expired. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.