llchun87

Tourist Visa Holder Looking to Come to the US for Medical Treatment

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My father-in-law is in poor health and want to come to US to get medical treatment. I was wondering if he'll be able to come here on a tourist visa for that? I don't know if it's too late, but do you know of any health insurance for visitors that are widely accepted here? Also, what other requirements are needed? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I saw the section of the Visitor Visa Guide regarding visiting for medical treatment, I'm wondering if he must specify that he's coming here for medical treatment, or if he can just use an unexpired visa or get a tourist visa in general if we know he's not going to have trouble getting one?

Depends on the medical treatment. He can certainly get the treatment done if he pays for it himself. If he is not a permanent resident nor citizen of the United States it will be very difficult for him to get insurance or coverage for a treatment of a pre-existing condition. That is not how insurance works. 

Healthcare in the US is one of the most expensive in the world. He will have to show that he is capable of paying for the treatment first. As a tourist he does not qualify for Medicaid as he never paid into it. There are many who have come here to get treatment done and never pay the bill thus abusing the system.

Travel insurance covers accidents and emergency illness and things like that. A re-existing condition will likely not be covered.

Many immigrants come to the US for medical treatments and even birth bit like I said these procedures are paid for by them.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Generally if he was coming here SOLELY for medical treatment, he would need to prove that he can afford to stay here while being treated AND pay for the treatment. He would also need something from his doctor stating the condition, and then something from a US doctor stating they will treat it. 

But ideally, if the condition can be treated in the home country they may wonder why he's coming to the US.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/b-2-visa-us-medical-treatment-who-qualifies.html

Visiting a U.S. physician to receive medical treatment may not seem like a typical activity of a “tourist for pleasure,” but if you want to travel to the U.S. for medical reasons you must apply for a B-2 tourist visa at your local U.S. embassy or consulate. To do this, you will need to show that this treatment is medically necessary and unavailable in your home country, as well as prove that that you can afford to pay the often extremely high costs of U.S. healthcare

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He has a visa he can use it come for treatment, as far as getting somebody else to pay for it that may well depend on what he currently has in his own country.

I find it very difficult to imagine a situation where his existing arrangements would pay for him to have treatment in the US, there is health tourism but usually that is normally people going somewhere cheaper.

Is there a specific reason he needs treatment in the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Ash.1101 thanks for the link. Boiler, he lives in Suriname and medical treatment has much lower quality than here in the states, that's the main reason. I'm aware now that he will have to pay for his treatment out of pocket, which he should be able to afford.

At this point I'm trying to find out if he can use his existing unexpired visa to come here for the purpose of medical treatment, or if he needs to get another visa specifically for medical reason like the link that Ash.1101 provided. And based on Boiler's response, sounds like he can use his existing visa. I'm still doing some more research.

Thank you for the info guys, this is helpful.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes he can use his existing visa

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

There is no medical visa, can travel on existing B. He discloses purpose.. med treatment.. at poe. He'd certainly be asked to show ability to pay. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Yeah normally if he was applying for it, he'd have to show everything to the interviewing officer.

Since he already has an unused visitors, he'll just have to provide what ever the CBP officer asks of him at POE.

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

12 hours ago, llchun87 said:

Ash.1101 thanks for the link. Boiler, he lives in Suriname and medical treatment has much lower quality than here in the states, that's the main reason. I'm aware now that he will have to pay for his treatment out of pocket, which he should be able to afford..

Hope he is very wealthy! Just as an example of the extreme costs that are possible, a family member was in an intensive care unit this September (in California) for 11 days, and then in the regular unit of the hospital for 2 more days. Total billed cost: $344,375.00. And he did NOT have any surgery.

He is fine now, by the way.

Edited by databit

Do the CBP at POE usually ask for the same documents that would be required for a new visa application, as in these that I copied these from the visitor visa guide?

• Medical diagnosis from a local physician, explaining the nature of the ailment and the reason the applicant requires treatment in the United States.
  • Letter from a physician or medical facility in the United States, expressing a willingness to treat this specific ailment and detailing the projected length and cost of treatment (including doctors’ fees, hospitalization fees, and all medical-related expenses).
  • Statement of financial responsibility from the individuals or an organization that will pay for the patient’s transportation, medical and living expenses. The individuals guaranteeing payment of these expenses must provide proof of ability to do so, often in the form of bank or other statements of income/savings or certified copies of income tax returns.

Is it illegal if he doesn't tell the CBP that he's here for medical treatment?

Does anyone here have experience finding doctors/hospital that treats foreigners? I called a few doctors today including my family doctor and they don't treat people without insurance. I'm going try to call a local hospital tomorrow and see what they say.

6 minutes ago, databit said:

Hope he is very wealthy! Just as an example of the extreme costs that are possible, a family member was in an intensive care unit this September (in California) for 11 days, and then in the regular unit of the hospital for 2 more days. Total billed cost: $344,375.00. And he did NOT have any surgery.

He is fine now, by the way.

Oh man that's crazy, this is useful information @databit, thanks, I'll let them know. Good thing your family is good now.

Edited by llchun87

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They want evidence they will get paid, show them his financials.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

15 hours ago, llchun87 said:

Is it illegal if he doesn't tell the CBP that he's here for medical treatment?

Yes. If the CBP officer asks "What is the purpose of your visit" and he says "Vacation" or anything other than "I plan on getting medical treatment" and they find out, say at a future visa interview that it was false, he can be punished for lying.

Never lie to anyone in this process, Interview officer, consular officer, CBP, etc.

Also, a lot of doctors won't treat without insurance, because there is the risk of the treatment never getting paid for, and they don't want that to come back and bite them in the butt.

You need to show them evidence of how much money he makes/has, and even talk about a pre-plan where you can pay money upfront prior to service, much like pre-payment plans prior to birth at hospitals.

Edited by Ash.1101

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.