Jump to content

Next Step After Arrival

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

So my fiance got her visa and will arrive in about a month.


As I understand it we must marry within 3 months,,, but I'm not clear on what specific paperwork, steps, etc need to be done next and by when.


Where can I find a comprehensive list of what comes next ?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please follow the guides on this site. The links are up top.


You should really learn every step you need to take from start to finish beforehand so you can have an idea of what's ahead and not be caught off guard.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made; whether it is time, money, or separation or a combination of any or all.” - NuestraUnion

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

File for SS # ASAP(you will need copy of I-94 and passport)

Get married

File for AOS (adjustment of status I-485). Also file for AP and EAD concurrently.

As others have said, read the guides. Its pretty much laid out in those.

K1 Visa

5-04-16 – Mailed I-129F

5-12-16 - NOA 1

7-18-16 - NOA 2

7-25-16 - Hard copy of NOA 2

8-03-16 - NVC case number assigned

8-09-16 – Consulate received

8-24-16 – Interview date @ USEM - Approved!

9-16-16 - CFO completed in Cebu

9-22-16 - P.O.E. Boston, MA

10-08-16 - Wedding!


10-29-16 - Submitted AOS with EAD/AP applications

11-02-16 - AOS package delivered to USCIS Chicago lockbox

11-16-16 - NOA1 Text message with receipt numbers

11-21-16 - Received NOA1 Hard Copies
12-05-16 - Biometrics

02-14-17 - Received EAD/AP Combo card

04-24-17 - Received notification of AOS approval w/o interview

04-27-17 - Received hard copy of AOS approval

05-03-17 - Received Green card

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some extra stuff you can probably get done prior to the I-94 expiring as well, either before or after marriage:

- Apply for an Social Security Number/Card

- Once completed, get a drivers' license or at the very least a state ID


At least in the state of GA, it didn't seem to matter that I got these BEFORE we married, but it's hugely helped me in regard to getting an initial grasp on credit building, driving around, etc., but keep in mind that the state might limit your drivers license to expire the same day the I-94 does, but at least the drivers' test will have been taken care of already during a time where your fiance isn't going to be working anyways. The drivers license will allow your fiance to drive, and in one case I had been turned away trying to purchase alcohol with my Canadian drivers license while visiting Alabama as they didn't believe my foreign license was legitimate.


Keep in mind any name changes that need to be done as these documents would require changing as well.





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.