lanaandkarim

lack of proof of bona fide marriage at interview????

30 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

If you have any kinds of benefits in your job, where your wife might be a beneficiary, ask your employer to write a letter stating it. Like other have mentioned, memberships to gyms, stores (Sam's - Costco - etc). Any mail that is addressed to you both. It can be quite tough to get both your names on the utility bills (it was hard for us). And definitely if you filed your tax return as married, then make copy of it, write an explanatory letter and deliver it again as proof of bona fide marriage.

Our visa Journey ~~~~ 226 days

Removing Conditions on ~~~ May 2008

Our first anniversary ~~~ November 12, 2006

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
If you have any kinds of benefits in your job, where your wife might be a beneficiary, ask your employer to write a letter stating it. Like other have mentioned, memberships to gyms, stores (Sam's - Costco - etc). Any mail that is addressed to you both. It can be quite tough to get both your names on the utility bills (it was hard for us). And definitely if you filed your tax return as married, then make copy of it, write an explanatory letter and deliver it again as proof of bona fide marriage.

I'm using my confirmation letter saying that M was added to my dental and he's the sole beneficiary on my life insurance because it's all we have ... hoping that's good, only thing I'm concerned is I work for a company that spun off from Verizon, so all my benefits stuff still says Verizon b/c they haven't switched it over yet. Our letterhead does allude to the fact that we were once part of Verizon, though.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

I wonder about the validity of evidene created after the interview- new accounts, subscriptions etc. It can look as if you are creating evidence for the interview rather than proving you are in a legitimate marriage. Try to think of evidence that dates back to the start of your marriage.

You came in on a K-3 right? What evidence of marriage did you show the consulate that you did not show at teh AOS interview? Letters from family and friends who know you as a couple are very good. Any receipts of major purchases together?

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Thats absolutely ridiculous. How much "evidence" do they want??? I mean come on, the fact that both husband and wife are present at the interview should be enough to prove "bonafide marriage"... When i go to my interview, ill bring my neighbors dog, as evidence, because spot will attest to barking at both my wife and I as we enter and leave our apartment. And that will prove bona fide marriage right?

:no: uscis :no:

Sorry you had to go through that... Hope you get it all sorted out.

How naive !!!

No sense of humor....... what a sad life that must be. :(

21FUNNY.gif

I'm sorry you guys have had this hassle, I sincerely hope it gets sorted out.

Matt85: I thought the neighbours dog thing was rather funny.

The affadavits from friends and family members can be good, saying how they know you, what sort of social situation that they see you in and that you are a real couple, with I believe address, date of birth and SSN (is that correct?)

I would use as many photos and bits of mail and stuff as everyone else has said.

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

Filed: Timeline
Thats absolutely ridiculous. How much "evidence" do they want??? I mean come on, the fact that both husband and wife are present at the interview should be enough to prove "bonafide marriage"... When i go to my interview, ill bring my neighbors dog, as evidence, because spot will attest to barking at both my wife and I as we enter and leave our apartment. And that will prove bona fide marriage right?

:no: uscis :no:

Sorry you had to go through that... Hope you get it all sorted out.

How naive !!!

No sense of humor....... what a sad life that must be. :(

Oh ive got a sense of humour, its just that, you won't get it because your a yank, and secondly because ya not funny, Ok little boy .....

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
Oh ive got a sense of humour, its just that, you won't get it because your a yank, and secondly because ya not funny, Ok little boy .....

Haha. Can someone please, ban?

Before calling someone else a "little boy", you might as well learn to spell first.

Filing for N-400 now

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Haha. Can someone please, ban?

Oh and this is'nt a properly structured sentance, english is'nt your first language is it ? or if it is you had a poor education.

Seriously guys, calm down. This isn't a big deal. :whistle:

Edited by SC & TF

N-400 Naturalization

03/22/10...N-400 mailed to Phoenix,AZ Lockbox

04/06/10...Check cashed. NOA1

05/07/10...Biometrics appointment

06/23/10...Interview appointment - PASSED!

08/19/10...Oath ceremony - Officially a US citizen!!!

08/24/10...Updated SSN records

08/31/10...Applied for US Passport and Card

09/15/10...Received US Passport and Card

I -751 Removal of conditions

04/04/09...I-751 sent to California service center

04/12/09...NOA1. permanent residence extended for one year.

06/10/09...Biometrics appointment done

06/21/09...2 yr GC expired

07/09/09...Approval letter received in the mail!!! GC approved 07/06/09

07/20/09...10 yr GC arrived in the mail.

AOS/EAD timeline: F1 to AOS (married to USC)

11/14/06.....I-130/I-485/I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox (Day1)

11/21/06......Checks cashed, NOA1 for I-130/I-1485/EAD arrives in mail (Day 8)

12/12/06.... Biometrics done (Day 29)

01/20/07...Interview notice received dated Jan. 12, Yay!! (Day 68)

01/30/07....EAD touched, finally!(Day 78)

02/01/07....I-485, I-130 touched. EAD card production ordered (Day 80)

02/07/07....EAD card received in mail (Day 86)

02/26/07...Interview - name check pending (Day 105)

06/21/07.... Card production ordered email...omigosh! (Day 220)

06/24/07.....Email: Notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident on 6/22

06/30/07.....Welcome notice received in snail mail

07/02/07....Email: Approval notice sent. GC received in mail!!! (232 days from filing)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I do not have many things in both our names. I have have a will and all my pre-maritial assets, (house, retirement, investments) everything in a Trust. The will and the Trust together describes what is to happen in the case I die. It provides for my new wife as well as my children from a previous marriage. I also have pre-nuptial agreement.

So my point here is that I have only one checking account in both of our names. But I have the above mentioned documents that reference my wife.

I think this is actually better than all the other stuff as it cost a good bit to get these legal documents drawn up by an attorney. What do you think??

Thanks,

Devereux.

Other proof can include each writing your wills and including the other as your beneficiary; listing each other on health insurance policies, car insurance/ownership listing both individuals; joint membership in AAA; if you have cell phones check into a 'family' plan where you can call each other at no extra charge and both names are listed on the bill; hospital documents noting you as next of kin (ask the hospital for a copy); doctor's office statement that list you as your wife's spouse; any joint credit cards, etc.

• 3 months later...
Other proof can include each writing your wills and including the other as your beneficiary; listing each other on health insurance policies, car insurance/ownership listing both individuals; joint membership in AAA; if you have cell phones check into a 'family' plan where you can call each other at no extra charge and both names are listed on the bill; hospital documents noting you as next of kin (ask the hospital for a copy); doctor's office statement that list you as your wife's spouse; any joint credit cards, etc.

Maybe this is a silly question but I'm asking anyway. In case we open a joint bank account will the statements bear both our names? Similarly how do you know that joint credit cards are joint. Must everything bear my name as well as my wife's?

K1

May 21st 2006: Entered the USA on a K1 visa

July 2nd 2006: Marriage ceremony

Oct 10th 2006:Received Green Card

REMOVING CONDITIONS

August 12th 2008: Sent I 751 to CSC

Dec 5th 2008: Green Card in the mail

NATURALIZATION

Dec 4th: Sent N 400

March 18th: Interview

May 24th 2011: Oath in Minneapolis. Journey is over.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Maybe this is a silly question but I'm asking anyway. In case we open a joint bank account will the statements bear both our names? Similarly how do you know that joint credit cards are joint. Must everything bear my name as well as my wife's?

Joint account statements will show both names as will joint credit card statements.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Just a note,

Just today in Tampa a friend was approved after having a similar situation. Dig deep and find as much as you can. The affidavits go a long way. And try to relax.

t

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I do not have many things in both our names. I have have a will and all my pre-maritial assets, (house, retirement, investments) everything in a Trust. The will and the Trust together describes what is to happen in the case I die. It provides for my new wife as well as my children from a previous marriage. I also have pre-nuptial agreement.

So my point here is that I have only one checking account in both of our names. But I have the above mentioned documents that reference my wife.

I think this is actually better than all the other stuff as it cost a good bit to get these legal documents drawn up by an attorney. What do you think??

Thanks,

Devereux.

I would hope that those things would be better than the other stuff! They're a lot more indicative of a bona fide relationship IMHO than joint accounts and utility bills in both people's names. But that's me and I'm not an immigration officer.

Try and get both your names on things... anything. They may not care, but they might so best to try and get it all sorted out before an interview.

ETA: Oh, already saw that AOS was approved. Nevermind! :)

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.