Eugr

Advice: update your Social Security after getting a passport

7 posts in this topic

Just want to share my experience with SSA with newly minted citizens.

USCIS says to visit SSA 10 days after getting a naturalization certificate, however based on the posts on this forums, the experience varies greatly, and SSA has to verify authenticity of the certificate with USCIS. Sometimes it works, sometimes it causes delays.

I've decided to apply for a passport first, and deal with SSA later, and I think it was a good decision. So I got my passport a week after applying (I did expedited processing), but I haven't had a chance to visit Social Security until after a month. Brought my passport and filled application for a replacement card, and everything went smoothly, they updated my record right away, and I received my new SSN card a week after visiting the office.

So, my advice - get the passport first, go to SSA later. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

This is really helpful advice! My husband has his naturalization ceremony in a couple weeks and we've been looking into what needs to happen afterward. So did you need your naturalization certificate at all with SSA, or just the passport was enough?

Husband's Naturalization Journey: (NBC number)

9/2/16: N-400 mailed to Dallas office via UPS Ground
9/6/16: Arrived to office per UPS tracking
9/14/16: NOA1 received in mail (dated 9/6/16)
9/21/16: Biometrics notification received in mail
10/6/16: Biometrics completed
11/10/16: Notification for interview received in mail
12/15/16: Interview ("Recommended for approval")
12/20/16: In line for oath ceremony (online status)
12/27/16: Received oath ceremony letter in mail
1/17/17: Oath ceremony
Hubby is now a US citizen! :) 133 days from NOA date to Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This is a good reminder of advice that we haven't seen in a while.  Thanks for it.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I updated my SSA records over the Christmas break more than 5 months after gaining US citizenship. Call it laziness.

I took both my passport and naturalization certificate but they only looked at my passport. Gave me a confirmation sheet in the end. I kept my current SSA card since I didn't make any name change and it didn't have any employment authorization notice. 

On 1/5/2017 at 10:37 AM, okramango said:

This is really helpful advice! My husband has his naturalization ceremony in a couple weeks and we've been looking into what needs to happen afterward. So did you need your naturalization certificate at all with SSA, or just the passport was enough?

Just the passport is enough.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/5/2017 at 2:31 PM, charmander said:

I updated my SSA records over the Christmas break more than 5 months after gaining US citizenship. Call it laziness.

I took both my passport and naturalization certificate but they only looked at my passport. Gave me a confirmation sheet in the end. I kept my current SSA card since I didn't make any name change and it didn't have any employment authorization notice. 

Similar experience here. Though I was perhaps more like 8 or 10 months after naturalization before I went to the SSA office to update my status. From what I understand, the status only really matters when you go to file a SS claim. Either at retirement or if you have a disability claim. So no rush for many in most cases.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Well in my experience, I had been deciding to apply for the US passport later. So I went ahead and went to the SSA just with my Citizenship Certificate. So I applied for a new SSN card with my new name. It only took 4 bussines days for me to receive the new card in the mail. I become a US citizenship 2 months ago. So I would say if you want to just wait the 10 days and go ahead to apply with just your Naturalization Certificate. There is not need to wait. In my case SSA was pretty efficient. After this I went to the DMV and updated my drivers license. By the way I am based in North Carolina... 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.