PadiTemi

K1 visa experience in Lagos

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I want to say thank you to God, the team here on Visa Journey and everyone on this site.

I was originally scheduled for interview on the 11th of January, 2017. However, I needed an earlier date, so i consistently check on the appointment website. Which I eventually got an open date on December 13th.

INTERVIEW

My appointment was 7am, I lodge in an hotel on Ahmadu bello way Victoria island, Lagos (Edgewaters Hotel : N14,300/day). The hotel was 5min away from the embassy. 

I took a keke from the hotel to the embassy and was in line around 5:30am (already met about 100 people waiting)

After the wait, two lines were formed as instructed by the embassy staff (immigrant and non-immigrants). On the immigrant line, a copy of the appointment letter and international passport is required for entrance.

*please do away with electronic devices, phones, water and makeup)

After the first security check, I was issued a number then we moved to the second security check and then to the embassy building for interview.

The first process in the embassy building is to submit all require documentations (birth certificate, passport and affidavit of support). Then you wait to be called for the proper interview.

After a long wait (standing), I was called and the interviewer asked the following questions:

1. What is your name
2. Who is petitioning you
3. How did you meet ?

*please be calm and be confident in your response. Don't say what you are not asked.

Then she said "it's looks like all is good, you are approved, (gave me a pickup white paper) ,pick up your passport with visa in 10days.

WAITING FOR PICK UP

On the interview date: the case number status on caec website says : Ready: created and updated: 13th December.

Next day: Status : Ready: updated: 14th December:

3rd Day: Status: Administrative Processing 
Updated: 15th December

4th Day: Status: Issued
Updated: 16th December

*status remain issued till now.

VISA PICK UP

Three days (3, excluding weekend) After the status changed to issued: on the 21st December, I pick up the Passport with Visa  and a sealed brown envelope (not to be opened) at DHL office in Muri Okunola Victoria Island.

POINT OF ENTRY:

On the 24th December, I arrived at JFK International Airport in New York, New York on board a flight from Lagos to Casablanca , then Casablanca to New York (Royal Air Marco: good price for great quality with no delay)

At arrival at JFK, I joined the Immigrant line after one of the airport staff viewed my passport and point me to the direction for immigrant. 

After a long queue to my turn, I handed my passport and the sealed brown envelope given at visa pick up. Immigration officer opened the envelope and asked to take my biometric.

Then he requested I follow him to another office just beside the long queue for further processing. After this,I was called to receive my passport and that the end of immigration process.

Then I moved to receive my luggage and that's  Welcome to America.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well, i was one of the 100 people waiting cos i had my immigrant interview that same day(the 6ft 3" guy on sky blue jean).

Congrats on your approval and successful entry.

I was approved but visa not in hand yet as i just submitted my medicals on 22nd.

I am still following the statuses and except the status update date changing, it has not changed from administrative processing.

I guess the holidays is the reason for the issue delay, can't wait to see "issued"

Got LPR status through family in Feb 2017
travelled back to Nigeria in Aug 2017, got married
file i130 for wife and daughter in January 2018
Case transferred from CSC to NSC in July 2019
got RFE in Oct 2019.

next: waiting anxiously for the mail...

Timeline

finally issued.

did you say Royal Air maroc makes much sense

because i am lost between royal air and Egyptair

got RFE in Oct 2019.

Timeline

Great, am happy for you.

Air maroc is cheap and the trip is fast with short layover.

Lagos to Casablanca: 4hrs

Casablanca to New York: 7hrs

please try the early morning flight, 6am.

Congrat.

Timeline

i just booked the R.A.M.(AT554) 6:30am to Casablanca(AT200) to JFK.

When did you arrive LOS to check-in, 4:30am?

any tip that may help?

Edited by OluwaseunA

got RFE in Oct 2019.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

BOOKED ROYAL AIR MAROC TO WASHINGTON DULLES AIRPORT AND I WAS TOLD TO BE AT THE AIRPORT 5HRS BEFORE BORDING TIME

California Service Center
2016-09-08-I-129f petition was received by USCIS
2016-09-12-NOA1 Text and Email
2016-09-16-NOA1 Hard Copy Received
2016-10-03-NOA2 Text and Email (21 days)
2016-10-04-NOA2 Hard Copy Received
2016-10-20-NVC Received (16 days)
2016-10-24-Case Number Received and Hard Copy
2016-10-25- Lagos Consulate Received
2016-11-08- Updated by the Embassy and said Ready for Interview
2017-01-10-Medical
2017-01-26-Interview-APPROVED
2017-01-31-Visa Issued
2017-02-06-Visa in Hand
2017-02-09- POE -- IAD 
Xu1rYa7NJo6b.jpgXu1rp1.png?t=1&C876mYOC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.