DarkKiss

K-1 Fiance with 3 Kids under the Age of 18

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Peru
Timeline

Something doesn't quite add up here. How did a man in a Latin country end up with 3 small kids in his custody? Are they his kids? I know the paperwork from DR is heavily scrutinized as there see to be many fake birth certificates, etc. I don't now if DR ever does, but they may require DNA testing to prove that they're his before issuing a visa for the kids.

Yes they are all his biologicals. I have copies of the original birth certificates and his name is on every one of them. Two different mothers, but ALL are his. He has never married and has custody of all of them. If you can think of anything else that he may have to overcome, please let me know.

I understand that they scrutinize every undotted "I" and every uncrossed "T". Been down that road myself and ended up being a victim of a Green Card Seeker. Not crying over spilled milk, but I will do everything I can to help my friend get her man here with his kids. Anything you can do to help, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Passport for kids are 1,850 Dominican Pesos, adults are $1,650, copies of birth certificates for passports ar 500 (different than birth certificates needed later for embassy). It will add up quickly. Don't forget plane tickets x 4

Thanks for those reminders. I really appreciate that.

Visa Timeline

Filed on I130 12/19/2021

R’cd NOA 1- 12/19/2021, Assigned - Nebraska Service Center

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Yes they are all his biologicals. I have copies of the original birth certificates and his name is on every one of them. Two different mothers, but ALL are his. He has never married and has custody of all of them. If you can think of anything else that he may have to overcome, please let me know.

As somebody who has gone through it with a K-1 with 4 kids, I would not do it again. I love my wife to death, but it's a lot of work with so many kids.

But still wondering... how did he end up with custody of all these kids from different mothers?

Edited by Eric-Pris

Timeline

As somebody who has gone through it with a K-1 with 4 kids, I would not do it again. I love my wife to death, but it's a lot of work with so many kids.

But still wondering... how did he end up with custody of all these kids from different mothers?

I really don't have an answer on how he got custody of the little girl, but I know that the mom of the two oldest boys abandoned them to a life of prostitution. They were living with the grandmother and he took over custody of them. The little girl is another story. He may have some problems bring her out of the country because the Mom may fight it. We will have to cross that bridge when we get to it.

Visa Timeline

Filed on I130 12/19/2021

Timeline

I really don't have an answer on how he got custody of the little girl, but I know that the mom of the two oldest boys abandoned them to a life of prostitution. They were living with the grandmother and he took over custody of them. The little girl is another story. He may have some problems bring her out of the country because the Mom may fight it. We will have to cross that bridge when we get to it.

Furthermore, I don't know if the custody is legal by our standards. All I know is that he took the kids and is taking care of them. The boys' mom is no where to be found. Will he have a problem with that too? Will he have to find her and get her consent to take the boys out of the country? Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I would like this process to be as painful as humanly possible for them. They are a wonderful family and would love to keep them all together, but I do realize that they are in for a great battle. If you can share some of your experience in the process, that would be awesome. Thanks Again

Visa Timeline

Filed on I130 12/19/2021

Best to start preparing now. Can't take kids out of the country without parent's consent. Or a court order which could take extra time and money.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Ok. First, just to get them out of the country, he will need the mother's permission. And then when he gets to the US, they may ask for custody papers for school, daycare, etc. when a mother has the kids, it's treated differently, but fathers go through more scrutiny. And if he becomes a US citizen and he applies for the kids' passports, they will DEFINITELY ask for proof of custody. My oldest step daughter had a kid right before she came here. She was 16. Now she is a USC and trying to get a passport for her daughter but they keep asking for a custody order (but it doesn't exist since they were 2 stupid kids who got pregnant and had a kid, there was no official paperwork when the boyfriend left her with the kid)

My suggestion would be to go through the courts, so that he gets an official court document giving him custody.

Edited by Eric-Pris

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.