GCG

Bank account in US before K1

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I tryed to find answer to this in the forum, but I couldn't!

So, my doubt is: Me and my boyfriend (USC) are considering to start the K1 visa process. I have an apartment in Brazil and since I plan to move to US in a couple (or several <_<) months, it is posted for sale. Once I have the money in hand, I would like to transfer it to US.

1)Is it okay to have an US bank account in my name while filling for a K1 visa or should I wait to transfer my money after approval?

2)It would be a personal account, not joint, but can this be considered a red flag if done before/during K1 process?

Thanks in advance for the answers! This website is amazing!!!

Edited by Gabi&Dan

AOS timeline

I-130 online: 08/12/2022

AOS package: 08/24/2022

RFE received: 09/09/2022

RFE response: 09/14/2022

Biometrics: 09/21/2022 - Seattle FO

I-765 approved: 01/19/2023

I-131 approved: 01/23/2023

Card printed: 01/24/2023

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I second that, my husband had to wait until he had a SSN before we could open a bank account at Wells Fargo. I should note that he had not lived in the US before on any other types of visas.

K1 Process:

Mailed I-129F Express to Lewisville: 4/4/16

Confirmed delivery from USPS: 4/5/16

NOA1 Text/Email: 4/8/16

NOA2 Text/Email: 6/22/16

Left NVC for London Embassy: 7/22/16

Medical: 8/17/16

Interview: 9/08/16

POE: 10/04/16

Marriage: 10/14/16

AOS

Mailed Express Priority I-485, I-131, I-765: 10/15/16

Confirmed delivery from USPS: 10/17/16

NOA1 Text/Email: 10/19/16 (Received 3 numbers for all cases)

NOA1 Hardcopy Mail: 10/24/16

Biometrics letter received: 11/3/16 (appt. was originally scheduled for 11/15/16)

Biometrics walk-in completed: 11/4/16

AP/EAD Approved, New Card being Produced: 1/11/17 (Day 86)

AP/EAD Card was Mailed to Me: 1/17/17

AP/EAD Card Received in mail: 1/19/17

I-485 Approved (no interview required): 5/09/17

Green Card Received: 5/15/17

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I could immediately open a joint bank account when I was physically present at my bank without a SSN.

You should make your husband call the bank is at and see what the options are for a foreign.
Because opening a personal account, without a SSN, and not being present at the bank seems impossible.

I would recommend you to keep the money until your visa has been granted, there is no guarantee that it will be approved.

And hopefully you have a place to stay while your K-1 is being processed?

08/18/2016: Married!
09/21/2016: Sent AOS Package per FedEx Express

09/22/2016 Forms arrived at USCIS office

10/11/2016: Received NOA 1 in mail (forms accepted & processed)
10/26/2016: Biometrics Appointment
10/28/2016: Case is ready for interview & awaiting schedulement
12/08/2016: EAD & AP approved!

12/13/2016: Received EAD & AP combo card!

10/04/2017: Received Appointment letter!

11/02/2017: Interview! Decision cannot yet be made, awaiting final approval.

11/06/2017: Approval letter in mail!

11/13/2017: Greencard arrived!

Timeline

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I do have a place to stay while I wait, my family lives in the nearby and that would be no problem.

I plan to visit him so we can file the forms together in US, and I could possibly try to open a bank account during this period, that's why I asked!

No rush to move my money to US, but Brazil's economy is really unstable in the past 2 years, so being possible to have it "safe" in US, I would prefer to. It was not easy to save all that so far.

But again, no reason to do it if it can complicate our lives in the future, so I will keep it with me in Brazil while we wait for the process.

Thanks again! Love this website!

AOS timeline

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I do have a place to stay while I wait, my family lives in the nearby and that would be no problem.

I plan to visit him so we can file the forms together in US, and I could possibly try to open a bank account during this period, that's why I asked!

No rush to move my money to US, but Brazil's economy is really unstable in the past 2 years, so being possible to have it "safe" in US, I would prefer to. It was not easy to save all that so far.

But again, no reason to do it if it can complicate our lives in the future, so I will keep it with me in Brazil while we wait for the process.

Thanks again! Love this website!

You should try opening an account with Bank of America when you're visiting. If you'd go for a joint account, any bank should do it even if you don't have a ssn, also that would work for building up proof for your future aos. I'd definitely move your money after the years ends, the dollar price compared to reais got a lot better than it was a year ago when I got here.

Best of luck

Timeline

You should try opening an account with Bank of America when you're visiting. If you'd go for a joint account, any bank should do it even if you don't have a ssn, also that would work for building up proof for your future aos. I'd definitely move your money after the years ends, the dollar price compared to reais got a lot better than it was a year ago when I got here.

Best of luck

Thank you p-ana!

That is exactly was I am considering! And I also read that I can open an account just with my passport if I have enough money for an inicial deposit (around $1500).

AOS timeline

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: EB-5 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 12/14/2016 at 2:55 PM, TierraGlanville said:

You need a Ssn to open a bank account in the US.

Since you dont have that yet, file the paperwork and wait until you get to the US to open the bank account.

No, you don't. At least it's not a legal requirement. I had a US bank account at HSBC US more than a year before I got my SSN and living abroad. And I did not had an ITIN. The bank would classify you as a non-US resident. Once you receive your SSN, you should provide it to the bank so they can update your records.

Joster

Filed: EB-5 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 12/14/2016 at 9:38 AM, Gabi&Dan said:

Hello everyone,

I tryed to find answer to this in the forum, but I couldn't!

So, my doubt is: Me and my boyfriend (USC) are considering to start the K1 visa process. I have an apartment in Brazil and since I plan to move to US in a couple (or several <_<) months, it is posted for sale. Once I have the money in hand, I would like to transfer it to US.

1)Is it okay to have an US bank account in my name while filling for a K1 visa or should I wait to transfer my money after approval?

2)It would be a personal account, not joint, but can this be considered a red flag if done before/during K1 process?

Thanks in advance for the answers! This website is amazing!!!

Gabi,

on what bank you have an account in Brazil? If it's a international bank, opening a bank account in the US can be easier. It's not an option anymore, but I opened my HSBC bank account in the US in Curitiba at a Brazilian branch of the bank. No SSN needed.

Joster

Timeline
14 minutes ago, jostermacedo said:

Gabi,

on what bank you have an account in Brazil? If it's a international bank, opening a bank account in the US can be easier. It's not an option anymore, but I opened my HSBC bank account in the US in Curitiba at a Brazilian branch of the bank. No SSN needed.

Joster

Thank you for you reply Joster!

I currently had a Santander account. Not an option for US international, only Europe.

But my boyfriend contacted his bank and they said it would be possible to open an account with my passport during my next visit. I could use his address for mailing and $1500 inicial deposit both for savings or checking is necessary.

AOS timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.