tennesseevolunteer

How do we get California ID or California driver license

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Salve and I just returned from the FAMOUS CALIFORNIA DMV. This is our 3rd trip. We took with us her passport with valid I-94, her brand new Social Security card in maiden name but it has been changed to our married name at the SSA last Friday. Plus all the orginial documents she took with her on her K-1 INTERVIEW IN Taiwan just in case they asked for something. This DMV worker took her passport to his supervisior and came back and told us it will be a waste of money because the I-94 will expire in May 2007. I tried to tell him she was here on a fiance visa and we have already got married(had orginial marriage certificate to) but no way he would listen.

I want to put Salve in driving school but this DMV thing is driving me crazy.

Just to let anyone who wants to know we are doing fine. We got married 3/3/07 and still honeymooning.

Met online 7-23-05

Met in Manila 2-2-2006> I could not wait any longer I asked her to marry me.

NOA1 June,12 2006

touched Sept.22,2006

Email Sept. 30,2006(RFI)

Recieved RFI Oct. 6, 2006

Mailed Express Oct. 10,2006

Email Notification of RFI recieved Oct. 18,2006

touched Oct. 19,2006

NOA2 10/18/2006 no email noticfication!

Recieved 2nd NOA 2 dated 11/2/2006

Sent I-134 and supporting documents to Salve 11-2-06

Recieved letter from NVC 11-9-06 got case number

Called NVC told them sent to wrong country 11-13-06 8:31am

Called US Embassy in Taiwan 6-13-06 5:01 pm Pacfic Time

Salve Going to Tiapei, Taiwan US Embassy to request transfer from Manila to Taipei 11-15-06

Salve's 2nd trip to Embassy in Tiapei. Our case has been requested to be transferred to Taiwan 11-16-06

11/23/06 I contacted 2 California and 1 Tennessee Senators concerning case in Manila

12/6/06 Case is sent from Manila to Taiwan.

12/27/06 Salved recieved call from Taiwan Embassy case is in office and packet in mail.

Interview 1-19-07

Medical 1-11-07

APPROVED January 24, 2007

Leave for USA Febuary 1, 2007

Married March 3, 2007 in the Smokey Mountains

INTERVIEW 6/12/07 AND APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mailed completed I-751 package 3.12.07

Recieved Notice of Action for Biometrics to be done 4.17.09 in Charlotte, NC.

9.4.09-- 10 year green card approved

Waiting now for citizenship

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Salve and I just returned from the FAMOUS CALIFORNIA DMV. This is our 3rd trip. We took with us her passport with valid I-94, her brand new Social Security card in maiden name but it has been changed to our married name at the SSA last Friday. Plus all the orginial documents she took with her on her K-1 INTERVIEW IN Taiwan just in case they asked for something. This DMV worker took her passport to his supervisior and came back and told us it will be a waste of money because the I-94 will expire in May 2007. I tried to tell him she was here on a fiance visa and we have already got married(had orginial marriage certificate to) but no way he would listen.

Just to let anyone who wants to know we are doing fine. We got married 3/3/07 and still honeymooning.

Green Card

Passport

Birth Certificate

SS card

That's what we need here in Missouri to get Andre's learner's permit and state ID. Working on those driving lessons now.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

also they take a valid I-94 with more than 60 days before it expires

check their website: CA DMV

Only the original or a certified copy of one of the following documents is acceptable:

* US Birth Certificate

* US Certificate or Report of Birth Abroad

* Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree

* INS American Indian Card

* Birth Certificate or passport issued from a US Territory

* US Passport

* US Military Identification Cards (Active or reserve duty, dependent, retired member, discharged from service, medical/religious personnel)

* Common Access Card (only if designated as Active military or Active Reserve or Active Selected Reserve)

* Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship

* Northern Mariana Card

* INS US Citizen ID Card

* Permanent Resident Card

* Temporary Resident Identification Card

* Canadian Passport/Birth Certificate

* Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card

* Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)

* Certification from California Department of Corrections or California Youth Authority

* Employment Authorization Card

* Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit

* Refugee travel document

* "Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport

* Valid I-94 stamped "Refugee," "Parole or Parolee," "Asylee," or Section 207, Section 208, Section 209, Section 212d(2), HP or PIP

* Immigration judge's order granting asylum

* Certified court order or judgment issued from a court of competent jurisdiction.

* Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped "Processed for I-551 temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence"

* Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition)

* Mexican Border Crossing Card with valid I-94

Edited by WifeOHunkyJohn

2005 August 27th Happily Married

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
also they take a valid I-94 with more than 60 days before it expires

Yes but they want to see an I-94 with more than 90 days validity. They will make the driver's license expire the same date as the I-94.

You will need either a Green-Card or EAD card, to show that you will be resident longer than the short time of the I-94.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Claudeth was able to get her California I.D. once her EAD arrived from the USCIS.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Claudeth was able to get her California I.D. once her EAD arrived from the USCIS.

That's great!

This is what they keep telling me. I have a feeling the green card will come before the EAD!

"You will need either a Green-Card or EAD card, to show that you will be resident longer than the short time of the I-94."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well we just mailed her AOS and EOA yesterday so we will just have to wait. I'll take her in to the corn field and let her drive :lol: just kidding. I looked at the DMV web site but of course the dates on the vaild I-94 was not discussed. It is OK. We are having fun being together after the long wait (L)

Met online 7-23-05

Met in Manila 2-2-2006> I could not wait any longer I asked her to marry me.

NOA1 June,12 2006

touched Sept.22,2006

Email Sept. 30,2006(RFI)

Recieved RFI Oct. 6, 2006

Mailed Express Oct. 10,2006

Email Notification of RFI recieved Oct. 18,2006

touched Oct. 19,2006

NOA2 10/18/2006 no email noticfication!

Recieved 2nd NOA 2 dated 11/2/2006

Sent I-134 and supporting documents to Salve 11-2-06

Recieved letter from NVC 11-9-06 got case number

Called NVC told them sent to wrong country 11-13-06 8:31am

Called US Embassy in Taiwan 6-13-06 5:01 pm Pacfic Time

Salve Going to Tiapei, Taiwan US Embassy to request transfer from Manila to Taipei 11-15-06

Salve's 2nd trip to Embassy in Tiapei. Our case has been requested to be transferred to Taiwan 11-16-06

11/23/06 I contacted 2 California and 1 Tennessee Senators concerning case in Manila

12/6/06 Case is sent from Manila to Taiwan.

12/27/06 Salved recieved call from Taiwan Embassy case is in office and packet in mail.

Interview 1-19-07

Medical 1-11-07

APPROVED January 24, 2007

Leave for USA Febuary 1, 2007

Married March 3, 2007 in the Smokey Mountains

INTERVIEW 6/12/07 AND APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mailed completed I-751 package 3.12.07

Recieved Notice of Action for Biometrics to be done 4.17.09 in Charlotte, NC.

9.4.09-- 10 year green card approved

Waiting now for citizenship

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Well we just mailed her AOS and EOA yesterday so we will just have to wait. I'll take her in to the corn field and let her drive :lol: just kidding. I looked at the DMV web site but of course the dates on the vaild I-94 was not discussed. It is OK. We are having fun being together after the long wait (L)

We had all kinds of trouble and had to bring print outs of their own website to prove to them we had the required info.

That being said, once we traveled on AP, CBP gave Annie a I-94 with a one year expiration, we used that and now her license will expire the same date as her I-94.

Once we get the Green Card, we can update the license to the expiration of the green card, and so on.

Edited by John & Annie

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yep, we just got turned away at the DMV today because temporary work permit expires MAy11th. Sounds like we have to wait for the EAD card. Back to illegal driving with no insurance,whatever!!

[]

• 1 year later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: immigration sucks im so tired... was looking forward to my husband getting his license today... but we were turned away because of the I-94 expiring... Edited by ~~~water~~~

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Back to illegal driving with no insurance,whatever!!
Hope you/she/he get stopped, arrested and deported.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

In Rhode Island, I also had to bring with me a utility bill, in my name, I also had my green card, SS#, I brought my marriage certificate as well.

Definitely get her to do driving school, it will all be worth it in the end when she gets her drivers license. I just received mine last week, was so excited. I took a while to get mine, because I could use my UK drivers license for at least a year, which I did, I could have got my license sooner though. :)

Believe me, those who are waiting for the EAD, don't do it! it's a complete waste of time! and money! I received my EAD card, after I got my Green Card!! it took forever and when I did get it, the card had already expired! go figure! :wacko:

.png

.png

2/5/07 - 2 Year Green Card arrives!!! YAY!!!!

5/10/08 - Received RI Driver's License!

11/10/08 - Removing Conditions - Sent package out!

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

11/28/08 - Received biometrics letter.

12/12/08 - Biometrics appointment - 10am.

01/13/09 - Still waiting............

06/08/09 - Card in production and on it's way!

06/22/09 - Received 10 Year Green Card! YAY!!

happy13.gif thforevertogether.gif

thNevergiveup.gif love9.gif

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

So you need your green card before you can legally drive? What about driving on your overseas license? And how would insurance work for that?

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Believe me, those who are waiting for the EAD, don't do it! it's a complete waste of time! and money! I received my EAD card, after I got my Green Card!! it took forever and when I did get it, the card had already expired! go figure!
I disagree. My wife applied for AP, EAD, and PR card at the same time. She got the AP first. About 2 months after applying, she got the EAD. About six weeks after that, she got the PR card. By getting the EAD when she did, she was able to get an excellent "starter job" at the university - an opportunity she would have completely missed had she not applied for the EAD. She has been in this starter job for about two and a half years, used it to get half off the tuition for master's degrees for both of us, as well as build retirement and provide us with health benefits. She has now completed her master's degree and is looking for a better job.

Key to all of this was getting the EAD when she did. Had she waited for the PR card, we would be in a much different situation right now.

Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Believe me, those who are waiting for the EAD, don't do it! it's a complete waste of time! and money! I received my EAD card, after I got my Green Card!! it took forever and when I did get it, the card had already expired! go figure!
I disagree. My wife applied for AP, EAD, and PR card at the same time. She got the AP first. About 2 months after applying, she got the EAD. About six weeks after that, she got the PR card. By getting the EAD when she did, she was able to get an excellent "starter job" at the university - an opportunity she would have completely missed had she not applied for the EAD. She has been in this starter job for about two and a half years, used it to get half off the tuition for master's degrees for both of us, as well as build retirement and provide us with health benefits. She has now completed her master's degree and is looking for a better job.

Key to all of this was getting the EAD when she did. Had she waited for the PR card, we would be in a much different situation right now.

Well, through my experience, it wasn't any help, with applying for the EAD, we thought it would, because I needed to work, it just took much longer than we thought it would, but my Green Card came first, so either way it didn't matter. I'm not saying don't go and get an EAD card, if you need to, thats totally up to you. Everyone's experience is different.

Edited by Lisax

.png

.png

2/5/07 - 2 Year Green Card arrives!!! YAY!!!!

5/10/08 - Received RI Driver's License!

11/10/08 - Removing Conditions - Sent package out!

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

11/28/08 - Received biometrics letter.

12/12/08 - Biometrics appointment - 10am.

01/13/09 - Still waiting............

06/08/09 - Card in production and on it's way!

06/22/09 - Received 10 Year Green Card! YAY!!

happy13.gif thforevertogether.gif

thNevergiveup.gif love9.gif

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.