Hi everyone! Mabuhay.

My itinerary is this:

DAVAO TO MANILA via Philippine Airlines

(6hrs layover)

MANILA TO CHINA via China Southern

(1hr 15mins layover)

CHINA TO LOS ANGELES via China Southern

This is my first international flight alone so I have a couple of questions:

a. Do I have to get my checked in baggages when i arrive in manila?

b. How is China airport? is the 1hr 15 mins enough for me to go through customs

and transfer planes?

c. What are spme tips you can tell me?

Thanks a lot!!!! :)

GODbless.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi - I've not flown from Philippines to US.. but I have flown twice to Asia (Thailand trip and Vietnam trip). Each time my return flight from the Asian country went through the Taipei, Taiwan Airport - going to San Francisco. Some tips:

A. You will probably need to collect your luggage in Manila and check into China Southern ... Davao to Manila is a "domestic" flight. Ask the employees when you check the luggage in Davao .. will the luggage transfer to China Airlines? (probably NO). Once you check the luggage into China Southern - you won't worry about your luggage until you reach Los Angles.

B. When you arrive in China you will need to find your connecting flight to Los Angeles. Every time I have flown into Taipei - I had to walk through a secure area (baggage screener, show my passport and connecting ticket). Once you get to your connecting flight - they will again check your ticket and passport. My advise - when you get to the connecting gate - go right to the counter where the airline employees (usually ladies) are working and check-in. 1 hour 15 minutes should be plenty of time.

C. tips: If you are worried when you land in China ... there will be airline helpers (people waiting off the plane to answer questions). Ask them for directions to find your connecting flight. Tell them you are worried for the short time between flights.

Keep you Passport and tickets in a safe place yet easy for you to access.

Take a pillow - it's going to be a long flight (13+ hours from China to LA)

Take a face mask (like the nurses wear) - there is always some around your seat who is coughing (ugh). You don't want to get sick on the way to your new life! :)

Relax - enjoy the flight to your new life - watch all the movies - drink water - and sleep as much as you can (sleeping makes the flight go faster)

Edited by Jon&Margz

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the Philippines subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Yes, since you are not doing a direct flight from Philippine Airline from Davao to Manila you will have to recheck your baggage in Manila to LAX. I don't know anything about China airport sorry.

Timeline

Hi - I've not flown from Philippines to US.. but I have flown twice to Asia (Thailand trip and Vietnam trip). Each time my return flight from the Asian country went through the Taipei, Taiwan Airport - going to San Francisco. Some tips:

A. You will probably need to collect your luggage in Manila and check into China Southern ... Davao to Manila is a "domestic" flight. Ask the employees when you check the luggage in Davao .. will the luggage transfer to China Airlines? (probably NO). Once you check the luggage into China Southern - you won't worry about your luggage until you reach Los Angles.

B. When you arrive in China you will need to find your connecting flight to Los Angeles. Every time I have flown into Taipei - I had to walk through a secure area (baggage screener, show my passport and connecting ticket). Once you get to your connecting flight - they will again check your ticket and passport. My advise - when you get to the connecting gate - go right to the counter where the airline employees (usually ladies) are working and check-in. 1 hour 15 minutes should be plenty of time.

C. tips: If you are worried when you land in China ... there will be airline helpers (people waiting off the plane to answer questions). Ask them for directions to find your connecting flight. Tell them you are worried for the short time between flights.

Keep you Passport and tickets in a safe place yet easy for you to access.

Take a pillow - it's going to be a long flight (13+ hours from China to LA)

Take a face mask (like the nurses wear) - there is always some around your seat who is coughing (ugh). You don't want to get sick on the way to your new life! :)

Relax - enjoy the flight to your new life - watch all the movies - drink water - and sleep as much as you can (sleeping makes the flight go faster)

Hi Jon&Margz : ) Thanks so much for the information! I will take note of all the information you wrote. HAHAHA. I also fear being next to a smelly person in the 13 hour plane ride- so io will really bring a mask. lols.
Godbless and again, thanks. I appreciate it.

Timeline

Yes, since you are not doing a direct flight from Philippine Airline from Davao to Manila you will have to recheck your baggage in Manila to LAX. I don't know anything about China airport sorry.

Hi cyberfx1024, thanks for the info :) appreciate the answer.

Hi everyone! Mabuhay.

My itinerary is this:

DAVAO TO MANILA via Philippine Airlines

(6hrs layover)

MANILA TO CHINA via China Southern

(1hr 15mins layover)

CHINA TO LOS ANGELES via China Southern

This is my first international flight alone so I have a couple of questions:

a. Do I have to get my checked in baggages when i arrive in manila?

b. How is China airport? is the 1hr 15 mins enough for me to go through customs

and transfer planes?

c. What are spme tips you can tell me?

Thanks a lot!!!! :)

GODbless.

Hi,

I have flew with China Southern, during my last trip to Manila from San Francisco. China Southern goes through Guangzhou China. The system there is a lot different then Tapei. In Guangzhou You will need to exit the plane quickly, as you will have to go through a customs check even with a connecting flight.

It sounds more scary then it is. The customs check is really just a time waste, they just look at your passport and ticket, then stamp the ticket.

With only a hour or so until your next flight you may need to run to your gate, as they will most likely be boarding, while you are still in the customs line.

Everything with workout, just don't wear high heels, you need running shoes ;)

Timeline

The system in Taipei is exactly the same as Guangzhou. As I wrote in my original post... when you exit the flight ... you will go through security again (checking your passport, ticket, and re-scanning your carry on luggage).

You won't need to worry about your large luggage that was checked on to the plane. The airline automatically transfers your large luggage.

Plenty of time to move terminals in Manila so no worry there. Just take your time and relax.

As a transiting passenger you don't have to go through Chinese 'customs'; at least not in PUD Pudang, Shanghai. You will have to go through another security check. Have ticket and passport available. No liquids will pass through security so drink your water before leaving the mnl-china leg. Checked baggage will be tagged at mnl through to LAX.

When leaving that flight, immediately ask which concourse/gate your transpac flight leaves from. Hop on a people mover and walk while you are riding, very fast.

Mask won't help for the 'smelly' person :) Take spray freshener! Joke, joke, joke!

Welcome to the US. Wish you and your SO the best.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.