cindymaeve

Consular questions

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

HI there

We have now received our Case number and INN number.

NVC has sent us a letter confirming that they have received our approved application for K1.

I have gone ahead and filled out the DS 160 form online and received and printed the confirmation page.

Questions: Do we now pay the fees online? (US funds only)

My American fiancee now fills out the AOS form... and sends it in? Or do we wait to hear from the consulate in Canada for the next step...?

Do they contact us for the interview time and date? I have found some places where you go and pick a date for the interview, but I didn't think this was correct.

I am wondering if I am jumping the gun here.....

I know the guides here are very helpful, but I want to make sure we are following the correct steps.

Thank you

Cindy

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You seem a bit confused. Maybe this link will clarify the steps for you.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

They'll be a checklist of documents sent to you. You gather the documents and send them to consulate. Then they'll let you know when your case is ready to schedule an interview and you pay the fees online while scheduling it. Then you do the medical and attend the interview.

You do not file for AOS until after entering the united states and getting married.

I hope it goes smoothly for you. Good luck!

iuV9m4.png

ROC journey!

2018-10-09   Filed ROC 1-751

2018-10-17   E-notification - RECEIVED

2018-11-13   NOA1- RECEIVED

2019-06-22   Biometrics letter - RECEIVED

2019-07-01   Biometrics appointment

2019-08-02   RFE

2019-08-23   RFE response was received

2019-09-04   Status changed to Card Being Produced!

Last signature update: 2019-09-05.

You will send the P3 to Montreal (bascially the checklist and the ds-160 confirmation.) They will send back the p4 when they process the P3. At that time you pay the fee and book the interview date if there is one available. Do not book an interview date until you get P4 from Montreal.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Ok, thank you for the help here.

The AOS was the affidavit of support, not adjust of status - I realize that the adjust of status happens after arriving in the US.

I believe that I have been slightly premature on filling out the DS 160. I hope that I have not jeopardized the process.

We will wait to hear from the consulate before taking any more action.

Do you know how much time there is between when they schedule the interview and the actual date? notice given to prepare flights, etc..?

I am sure the wait now is still a couple of months away.

C

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Country-specific thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the Canada regional subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

You do not need to wait to submit p3 to montreal. As long as they have your file there, you can send the p3

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

HI again,

We received out letter from NVC that they have sent our file on Oct. 3.

It has been almost 3 weeks, and we have not heard from consulate in Montreal yet. We have not heard anything.

I have tried to call, but they do not take calls about non immigrant visas, only email. I have emailed a few times, and get an automated response.

The last email said to wait 8 weeks for consulate to process.

Has anyone waited that long? Is this normal? How do I know that they have received our application? Do I just assume that they have it?

NikLR, you say that I can send the P3 in..... but not sure I should submit it all, if I don't know that they have processed it.... ???

Thank you

Patiently waiting....

C

Dl the p3 checklist. Send in the checklist and ds-160. Wait for the p4. Book the interview. Bring all items on checklist to interview.

Timeline

Agreed with above. I also sent in my packet 3 before I heard anything from Montreal; as long as the NVC status says ready you should be fine. I think they sent packet 4 to me in a day or two after receiving my email with packet 3.

Timeline

Great, great. Thank you so much.

WE actually received the letter today with Packet 3 info. I have just emailed everything away. Yeah yeah. Exciting day.

Thank you

VividDreamer, did you also get your interview date and time when you received your Packet 4?

Timeline

VividDreamer, did you also get your interview date and time when you received your Packet 4?

No, inside packet 4 is a link to a separate website where you pay your interview fee and book your interview :)

Timeline

Ok, thank you VividDreamer. Even though I have read over the guides a million times, I still need some help understanding the steps. Sheesh.

It is all coming together.

Thank you again.

Timeline

Ok, thank you VividDreamer. Even though I have read over the guides a million times, I still need some help understanding the steps. Sheesh.

It is all coming together.

Thank you again.

No problem! Sometimes the amount of information alone is overwhelming. It definitely gets confusing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.