Roland3337

Administravitve Processing after consular Interview

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello everyone,

My wife and I had the visa interview at the consulate in Moscow just a few days ago (9/29) and it did not go as smoothly as we'd hoped. The consular officer had some questions during the interview we were not prepared for. At first, my wife went into the interview first, and I sat in the waiting room. Then after about 10 minutes, she emerges in tears, and asks me to join her in the interview room.

The first question he asked me was about the sample of emails included in our application: The pattern of writing seemed suspicious to him (i.e., "You are very pretty girl and I very much want" instead of "You are a very pretty girl and I very much want you.") This is a pattern that I developed in my writing to her because I know that sometimes electronic translation programs that we sometimes use do not handle such activators as "a" and "the" so well, since Russian does not use them. I explained that to him, and he seemed to accept it. I also told him that I spoke Russian, so this is why I knew about this.

Then he asked about how we met in terms of the website. This is a website that neither of us could remember, since it was 4 years ago, and we barely used it. All that we could tell him was that it was a free site, that featured mostly women from Ukraine, and we otherwise could not find it anymore. Likely it had been closed down. This line of questioning obviously pertained to the IMBRA regulations that I thought spousal visas were exempt from (obviously, that was foolish on my part). He seemed to conclude that whatever website we used, was not a marriage broker agency.

Next, he asked about the timing of our relationship, since I asked my wife to marry me while my divorce from a previous wife was still in process. I told him that my previous wife and I were separated at the time, with her living in the upstairs portion of the house, while I was in the downstairs basement for more than a year. When the divorce was finally finished, my wife and I were married about two months later.

The final closing questions were mundane: What did my wife plan to do when in the U.S.? (wife and hopefully mother) and would we have another wedding after her arrival? (probably, since it would be better to have an English marriage certificate instead of a foreign one, for the many other civil issues we would encounter that required a marriage certificate).

He then said he had a few other things to check out, and that he would call my wife's mobile phone the next day, if there was anything else he needed (he did not call). He also said that her passport would be delivered to her via pony express 5-6 days after the visa was prepared.

I have checked online since then, and our case is listed as being in "Administrative Processing." We were not given a 221(g) form before leaving the interview.

If anyone has a read on what we can expect next (denial, or just mundane processing, etc.) I would love to know. This was a painful disappointment for both of us, and some hope would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

R.

Umm, married is married - you can maybe renew vows in the US but can't get married again. You won't get another marriage certificate.

Also, most countries have international marriage certificate that has translation in 10-15 different languages. We used that for one place they needed it (military for DEERS) no other place except USCIS needed it.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Sounds like a mildly stressful, but not atypical interview. You are already married so you don't need another wedding. Keep a few translations of the marriage certificate. They kept the passport and did not give you a 221G so just wait a bit and you should receive the passport with the visa.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Sounds like a mildly stressful, but not atypical interview. You are already married so you don't need another wedding. Keep a few translations of the marriage certificate. They kept the passport and did not give you a 221G so just wait a bit and you should receive the passport with the visa.

The lack of a 221(g) and the fact that they kept my wife's passport is not something I gave much thought to, after we left the interview. We were both too freaked out. But I take both as a good sign. Thanks for the reminder. It gives some comfort. The wedding after she would finally arrive would be less for civil purposes, but maybe more for us. We were married in Istanbul, and it was a tedious and stressful process. To marry here at home could be something we could celebrate, without thinking about immigration and navigating red tape. Ironically, both or our Turkish friends who were witnesses in Istanbul are now local (reasonably) since they both escaped Turkey after the coup attempt in July, and they could be present here for and American wedding.

Edited by Roland3337

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Oh man, I wonder if you had the same CO my fiance did!!! There are a lot of similarities, especially the part at the end, "There are a few things I need to check on/look into." My fiance is still in AP, though. Did the CEAC site update your AP to issued before you got the visa?

Filed: Timeline

Hi - It seems like we're in the same boat here. I was approved on Sept 12th, and was told to wait 2 weeks for my Visa to arrive. It has now been a full month and my status has not changed from "Ready" on the CEAC website. I interviewed in Montreal. Which consulate did you interview at? I am being sponsored by a parent under F1 (son/daughter of USC), and I was not issued a 221(g). The wait is brutal.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

They kept her passport, that's a very good sign. :)

As for renewing your vows once she moves over, several states issue marriage certificate for married couples wanting to renew their vows. Texas is one them but I'm sure you can google more.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Good Evening ,

I had Interview in AbuDhabi Embassy on 20 SEP 2016.

First Update 20 SEP 2016.

Second Update 21 SEP 2016.

Third Update 16 OCT 2016.

I don't know this today update in weekend evening time Sunday was from AbuDhabi Embassy OR from USA ? Anyone has experience similar updates ?

Kindly Share your experience, Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Please start your own thread.

Good Evening ,

I had Interview in AbuDhabi Embassy on 20 SEP 2016.

First Update 20 SEP 2016.

Second Update 21 SEP 2016.

Third Update 16 OCT 2016.

I don't know this today update in weekend evening time Sunday was from AbuDhabi Embassy OR from USA ? Anyone has experience similar updates ?

Kindly Share your experience, Thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.