jeessgb

Specific questions about forms I-485, I-864 and I-765

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi

Hope someone can help me with my doubts. I'm the spouse of a US citizen and I entered the country with a K1 visa.

First of all, have a K1 visa holder been assigned with an "A-number" (alien number). If the answer is YES, where can I find it? If the answer is NO, should I leave the space blank in all forms or should I write "N/A" or "none"?

2nd question: In forms I-485 and I-765, they ask for "current USCIS status", and "current immigration status". What is the right answer in my case?

3rd question: I'm submitting form I-765 for EAD along with the I-485, and they both ask for two 2"x2" photos in their instructions sheet. Should I submit 4 photographs or only 2?

4th question: n form i-864, part 5 "Sponsor's household size", point #1 asks for persons being sponsored in this affidavit (which in my case would be "1", only me, the spouse that is trying to AOS). However, on point #3 they say "if you're currently married enter "1" or enter "0" if you're not married. The problem is If I write "1" on #3, it would count me the spouse 2 times and the total household in the end would be "3" instead of "2". But if I write "0" I'd be inferring that my spouse is single. Can I just leave it blank on point #3, or what should I do?

Finally, I've been wondering why on some posts people talk about submitting evidence other than the marriage certificate (joint bank accounts, joint insurance, lease, etc), if they don't specifically ask for any evidence in any of the forms or in the step by step VJ guide for AOS? I remember on the K1 application the form asked for evidence of the relationship but right now I already read all the forms and couldn't find something like that.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

:star: K1 Timeline :star:

I-129F Sent : Apr 01, 2016

I-129F Received : Apr 06, 2016

I-129F NOA1 : Apr 08, 2016

I-129F NOA2 : Jun 21, 2016

NVC received : Jul 15, 2016

NVC case number : Jul 15, 2016

NVC left : Jul 19, 2016

Consulate ready : Jul 20, 2016

Interview : Aug 11, 2016

Visa issued: Aug 15, 2016

Visa in hand: Aug 17, 2016

POE: Aug 20, 2016

Wedding: Sep 15, 2016

1. Your A-number may be found in 2 places. On the NOA's you recieved from the I-129F point and on the visa you have in your passport should show an A number on it. I know my husband (then fiance) had his A# printed on his NOA2 for the I-129F. It's also on his K-1 visa in his passport.

2. "K-1 Visa Holder" or "K-1"

3. You need 2 passport photos for both application. While they are filed together under the same fee, they are still considered seperate applications and each one needs 2 sets of their own passport photos. So if you're ONLY doing I-485 and I-765 then you'll want 4 passport photos.

4. You're never suppose to count anyone twice. So if your wife is the one filling out the I-864, then she'll put 1 for the people named on line 7 part, and the 1 for herself not being sponored and then leave the "currently married" blank. That's for if you are married and that person is NOT being included in the I-864. You've already been marked down as 1 for the person that is being sponsored, so you can't be put again. They'll know you're married.

I think it's just front loading, anything you send can be sent along with the interview and may be seen before you're seen. Gives it a bit more legitimacy, but isn't required. I don't ever see it hurting any cases, but if you don't want too there's no worries if you don't send extra relationship proof.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi

Hope someone can help me with my doubts. I'm the spouse of a US citizen and I entered the country with a K1 visa.

First of all, have a K1 visa holder been assigned with an "A-number" (alien number). If the answer is YES, where can I find it? If the answer is NO, should I leave the space blank in all forms or should I write "N/A" or "none"?

2nd question: In forms I-485 and I-765, they ask for "current USCIS status", and "current immigration status". What is the right answer in my case?

3rd question: I'm submitting form I-765 for EAD along with the I-485, and they both ask for two 2"x2" photos in their instructions sheet. Should I submit 4 photographs or only 2?

4th question: n form i-864, part 5 "Sponsor's household size", point #1 asks for persons being sponsored in this affidavit (which in my case would be "1", only me, the spouse that is trying to AOS). However, on point #3 they say "if you're currently married enter "1" or enter "0" if you're not married. The problem is If I write "1" on #3, it would count me the spouse 2 times and the total household in the end would be "3" instead of "2". But if I write "0" I'd be inferring that my spouse is single. Can I just leave it blank on point #3, or what should I do?

Finally, I've been wondering why on some posts people talk about submitting evidence other than the marriage certificate (joint bank accounts, joint insurance, lease, etc), if they don't specifically ask for any evidence in any of the forms or in the step by step VJ guide for AOS? I remember on the K1 application the form asked for evidence of the relationship but right now I already read all the forms and couldn't find something like that.

Your Alien Registration number will be on your K 1 visa in your passport.

2nd question- you can write "K 1 Visa Holder"

3rd question-You have to submit 4 photographs.2 for each.

4th question- I just checked my i485 and in my form i wrote "0"

It is a good idea to front load your application with the proofs of relationship like photographs together,your wedding pics,joint bank accounts etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi

First of all, have a K1 visa holder been assigned with an "A-number" (alien number). If the answer is YES, where can I find it? If the answer is NO, should I leave the space blank in all forms or should I write "N/A" or "none"? <-- Yes. A# can be found on the NOA2 I-129F approval notice above the beneficiary's name. Unless things have changed, Mexico does not print the A# on the visa itself.

2nd question: In forms I-485 and I-765, they ask for "current USCIS status", and "current immigration status". What is the right answer in my case? <-- K-1 Visa Holder. See the example forms here on VJ.

3rd question: I'm submitting form I-765 for EAD along with the I-485, and they both ask for two 2"x2" photos in their instructions sheet. Should I submit 4 photographs or only 2? <-- 4, but should be 6 because you should also go ahead and apply for AP(I-131) too. You never know when something might come up that requires you to leave the US while waiting for the green card to be approved. Better to have the AP on hand.

4th question: n form i-864, part 5 "Sponsor's household size", point #1 asks for persons being sponsored in this affidavit (which in my case would be "1", only me, the spouse that is trying to AOS). However, on point #3 they say "if you're currently married enter "1" or enter "0" if you're not married. The problem is If I write "1" on #3, it would count me the spouse 2 times and the total household in the end would be "3" instead of "2". But if I write "0" I'd be inferring that my spouse is single. Can I just leave it blank on point #3, or what should I do? <-- You are the intending immigrant being counted in #1. It states not to count anyone twice, and all others being counted below #1 are persons not being sponsored on the affidavit. You are being sponsored, and are the immigrant counted in #1. You would not be counted again in #3.

Finally, I've been wondering why on some posts people talk about submitting evidence other than the marriage certificate (joint bank accounts, joint insurance, lease, etc), if they don't specifically ask for any evidence in any of the forms or in the step by step VJ guide for AOS? I remember on the K1 application the form asked for evidence of the relationship but right now I already read all the forms and couldn't find something like that. <-- The only proof of marriage required with the initial filing of the I-485 is a copy of your marriage certificate. You can add in extras if you wish. I think some people state they add it in because they either incorrectly believe it is an actual requirement, or have seen some get an RFE for that type of evidence before having their green cards approved without interview.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Thank you for your responses.

Like KayDeeCee said, my visa doesn't have the alien number in it. Neither the NOA1 or NOA2, in NOA2 the space was left blank. Do you know of other way I can obtain it?

KayDeeCee: I thought the AP was only for when you have an specific planned day, is it not like this?

Timeline

Thank you for your responses.

Like KayDeeCee said, my visa doesn't have the alien number in it. Neither the NOA1 or NOA2, in NOA2 the space was left blank. Do you know of other way I can obtain it?

KayDeeCee: I thought the AP was only for when you have an specific planned day, is it not like this?

Wow, I rarely come across anyone else that had that same problem. My husband's A# was also not on the NOA2. He ended up asking the CBP agent at his POE, and he kindly wrote it down for him.

Call the USCIS and ask them for it. Let them know it is not listed on the I-129F approval notice or your visa, and you need it for filling out the adjustment of status forms.

You do not need plans or a reason for AP. Leave date and length blank, then hand-write Unknown for those after printing out the form, or put N/A for them.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Wow, I rarely come across anyone else that had that same problem. My husband's A# was also not on the NOA2. He ended up asking the CBP agent at his POE, and he kindly wrote it down for him.

Call the USCIS and ask them for it. Let them know it is not listed on the I-129F approval notice or your visa, and you need it for filling out the adjustment of status forms.

You do not need plans or a reason for AP. Leave date and length blank, then hand-write Unknown for those after printing out the form, or put N/A for them.

Already called but they cannot give me the info through the phone, I have to make an info pass appointment and there's none available for the next 15 days :( guess I'll try tonight. The other option is filing a FOIA form but that will take weeks and cost 25 dlls.

I'll start preparing the AP documents in the meantime.

Thank you for your advice!!

Already called but they cannot give me the info through the phone, I have to make an info pass appointment and there's none available for the next 15 days :( guess I'll try tonight. The other option is filing a FOIA form but that will take weeks and cost 25 dlls.

Have you looked at the paper that the consulate sent you in package 3? In Germany they send you a copy of your I-129F that got stamped by USCIS with your Alien number

Timeline

Have you looked at the paper that the consulate sent you in package 3? In Germany they send you a copy of your I-129F that got stamped by USCIS with your Alien number

Juarez sends no packet/package. All they send is a single letter with instructions and links. It does not contain the A#.

Timeline

I guess they need you to come in person and prove it is you before giving out that information. Get all the forms filled, and supporting documents together and ready to go, then when you get the A#, you just have to fill it in where it asks and mail it off.

Timeline

I guess they need you to come in person and prove it is you before giving out that information. Get all the forms filled, and supporting documents together and ready to go, then when you get the A#, you just have to fill it in where it asks and mail it off.

Yes, I will do that. Thank you for your help :idea:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.