Gregory&Dyn

EXPERIENCE - (Annulment) Psychological Incapacity vs. SLEC

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There hasn't been much said (in recent months) about the psychological evaluation portion of the medical at SLEC. This was Dyn's experience in September 2016.

FACTORS

Annulment where beneficiary was the subject of psychological incapacity (in this case, both parties were psychologically incapacitated)

Dyn flew into Manila Wednesday afternoon from Bohol (about a 700 mile trip) for her medical the following day. She arrived at the airport just after 5PM and was at the hotel (Casa Bocobo) by 6:30.

Dyn was up by 2AM the next morning and in line at St. Luke's by 3AM. There was just one other girl ahead of her. Because medical screenings / lab tests / x-rays are all on a first come - first served basis, it pays to be early. A number two spot in line isn't bad. She told me later that by 4AM there were fifty people in line and it grew exponentially from there. Registration is required to attend your medical. (http://www.slec.ph/us/registration/index.php) Be advised, registering is not a guarantee of an appointment. If you want to be seen, be early.

Dyn, along with others in her group, went from line to line, and window to window picking up documents. Dropping off forms, taking instructions and processing in. She really didn't say much about the physical part of the exam except that it was a very long and tedious process with x-rays, paperwork, Q&A sessions and multiple exams. I got the impression that it was more industrial than clinical. Doctors examined every inch of her body including some very dark places. She wasn't too pleased with that, but she was a trooper and stuck it out.

Unfortunately, Dyn hit only one snag at the end of the day. She finally finished her medical exams just after 6PM the first evening. As expected, because of her annulment, Dyn is required to complete a full psychological evaluation. That's the cost of ending a marriage in the Philippines. On day two, she caught a taxi from her hotel at 8AM and traveled almost an hour-and-a-half away to an approved psychologist. Originally, St. Luke's had scheduled the appointment two weeks in advance. Dyn wouldn't stand for that and insisted on an appointment within 24 hours. She got it. After a forty five minute interview with the psychologist, Dyn spent the next eight hours working through an 850 question evaluation on paper. It took her all day. The test was divided into three sections with small breaks in between (400 questions / 300 questions / 150 questions). After the written evaluation, she was required to write four short stories based on pictures the doctor showed her. Strange, right? She finally finished the session by doing the standard Rorschach test. She said there were about twenty five images.

It's my opinion that this process isn't to prove the beneficiary is crazy, but rather to prove that they are emotionally and psychologically healthy. The tests and questions can be a bit daunting, but they are designed to work in your favor if you answer honestly.

What's next? The psychologist will evaluate and send the test results to St. Luke's where they will be submitted to a psychiatrist. Yup! You read that right. Once reviewed by the psychiatrist (1-2 weeks), Dyn must fly back to Manila and be subjected to a psychiatric test and a personality evaluation at SLEC. She was told it's routine, but what a nightmare. That poor girl. After the evaluation with the psychiatrist is complete, she will wait 3-5 days before returning to St. Luke's yet again to complete the physical portion of her medical and get necessary vaccinations. In all, we are probably looking at two weeks before the medical is complete. It would be longer yet, but I told Dyn to pay the psychologist 1,000php ($20) to expedite the results. The good news is, we are still looking at an October interview at the U.S. Embassy.

Updates regarding the psychiatric portion of the evaluation will be posted upon completion.

MEETING

12 March 2012: Met Dyn at a coffee shop in Kuwait

Summer 2012: I returned home to the U.S. to prepare a way for Dyn

Fall 2014: Dyn returns home to Philippines after seven years in Kuwait

ANNULMENT

February 2014: Engaged while I visited Philippines

March 2014: Officially hired attorney and filed for Dyn's annulment in Bohol, Philippines

December 2015: Bohol District Court issues decision in our favor

December 2015: Judge sends transcript of his decision to OSG for processing

February 05 2016: OSG returned receipt and approval to district court in Bohol. CoF to be issued end of second week in February

February 09 2016: Dyn is presented with the Entry of Judgment and her Certificate of Finality via the local court.

February 15 2016: LCR issues annotated marriage certificate, and necessary documents are forwarded to the NSO / PSA visa LBC

April 19 2016: Received CENOMAR and Annotated MC from PSA via private courier. DONE! COMPLETE! FINISHED! OFFICIAL!

I-129F / K1 VISA APPLICATION PROCESS

April 04 2016: I-129F sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS Priority Mail

April 12 2016: Email from USCIS acceptance confirmation

April 17 2016: Official NOA1 hard copy received

July 12 2016: NOA2 Approval hard copy received

July 14 2016: Post Decision Activity email from USCIS

THE LONG WAIT (USCIS misplaced approved petition)

September 16 2016: NVC received approved I-129F petition and assigns case number

INTERVIEW / MEDICAL PROCESS

October 04 2016: Day 1 of medical at SLEC in Manila

October 05 2016: Psychiatric evaluation off-site due to psychological incapacity annulment (10 hour eval with 800 question profile test)

October 13 2016: CFO Seminar completed successfully and certificate awarded (CFO stamp not issued until visa is presented).

October 20 2016: Return to SLEC complete psychological evaluation with resident psychologist (less than ten minutes)

October 21 2016: Vaccination day at SLEC (medical finally complete)

October 25 2016: Visa interview at USEM in Manila (APPROVED)

HOMECOMING

November 19 2016: Dyn's arrival at POE Dulles IAD in Washington DC

December 01 2016: Married

Timeline

There hasn't been much said (in recent months) about the psychological evaluation portion of the medical at SLEC. This was Dyn's experience in September 2016.

FACTORS

Annulment where beneficiary was the subject of psychological incapacity (in this case, both parties were psychologically incapacitated)

Dyn flew into Manila Wednesday afternoon from Bohol (about a 700 mile trip) for her medical the following day. She arrived at the airport just after 5PM and was at the hotel (Casa Bocobo) by 6:30.

Dyn was up by 2AM the next morning and in line at St. Luke's by 3AM. There was just one other girl ahead of her. Because medical screenings / lab tests / x-rays are all on a first come - first served basis, it pays to be early. A number two spot in line isn't bad. She told me later that by 4AM there were fifty people in line and it grew exponentially from there. Registration is required to attend your medical. (http://www.slec.ph/us/registration/index.php) Be advised, registering is not a guarantee of an appointment. If you want to be seen, be early.

Dyn, along with others in her group, went from line to line, and window to window picking up documents. Dropping off forms, taking instructions and processing in. She really didn't say much about the physical part of the exam except that it was a very long and tedious process with x-rays, paperwork, Q&A sessions and multiple exams. I got the impression that it was more industrial than clinical. Doctors examined every inch of her body including some very dark places. She wasn't too pleased with that, but she was a trooper and stuck it out.

Unfortunately, Dyn hit only one snag at the end of the day. She finally finished her medical exams just after 6PM the first evening. As expected, because of her annulment, Dyn is required to complete a full psychological evaluation. That's the cost of ending a marriage in the Philippines. On day two, she caught a taxi from her hotel at 8AM and traveled almost an hour-and-a-half away to an approved psychologist. Originally, St. Luke's had scheduled the appointment two weeks in advance. Dyn wouldn't stand for that and insisted on an appointment within 24 hours. She got it. After a forty five minute interview with the psychologist, Dyn spent the next eight hours working through an 850 question evaluation on paper. It took her all day. The test was divided into three sections with small breaks in between (400 questions / 300 questions / 150 questions). After the written evaluation, she was required to write four short stories based on pictures the doctor showed her. Strange, right? She finally finished the session by doing the standard Rorschach test. She said there were about twenty five images.

It's my opinion that this process isn't to prove the beneficiary is crazy, but rather to prove that they are emotionally and psychologically healthy. The tests and questions can be a bit daunting, but they are designed to work in your favor if you answer honestly.

What's next? The psychologist will evaluate and send the test results to St. Luke's where they will be submitted to a psychiatrist. Yup! You read that right. Once reviewed by the psychiatrist (1-2 weeks), Dyn must fly back to Manila and be subjected to a psychiatric test and a personality evaluation at SLEC. She was told it's routine, but what a nightmare. That poor girl. After the evaluation with the psychiatrist is complete, she will wait 3-5 days before returning to St. Luke's yet again to complete the physical portion of her medical and get necessary vaccinations. In all, we are probably looking at two weeks before the medical is complete. It would be longer yet, but I told Dyn to pay the psychologist 1,000php ($20) to expedite the results. The good news is, we are still looking at an October interview at the U.S. Embassy.

Updates regarding the psychiatric portion of the evaluation will be posted upon completion.

Hi. Ive been through this process in aug.25,2016. I had no idea being annulled will delay my mefical results. I had to reschefule my interview from sept 8 to sept. 13 because i csnt make it. I webt to Slec 4:30 am i was given num 22. I finished my xray and, blood extraction and physical exam before lunch time. The kady at room N called my name gave me referral for tge phycological evaluation. I called and im.very lucky to get a slot that day because someone didnt attend her dchedule. Psychologist told me i dobt have enough time. It should start 8.am to 5 pm but i beg her as my interview was schefuled sept 8. She was nice and told me ill try i told her i can continue the next day. She told me no room for me the bext day so we finished at 7 pm. I calked her sept 1,but told me to back the next day. Before calling her the next day Slec called me informing me that my psychological result is ready and asked me if i have a new interview schedule. I had interview sept 13,issued 221g and i was in AP for 13,days. I was issued sept 29.

Goodluck.

Timeline

My fiance and I are going through the annulment process, ourselves. She is from Caloocan City. She just started with a lawyer in Baguio about 2 months ago. We're at the point right now where the petition has been submitted to the court (Baguio City), and waiting on more information. Do you happen to have info you could share about the annulment process your fiance has had to go through?

Im here in baguio city. I had my annulment in tabuk kalinga. It took me 5 months to get the court decision. I had my psychiatric evaluation and pdychological evalvation here in baguio.

Goodluck.

Timeline

Your lawyer is right it can take up to a year. I ws just lucky my uncle was a fiscal lawyer in a court where i filed my annulnent. It may take a little longer if it involves properties and kids.

It also took mine 5 months after the decision was rendered to be posted on my marriage contract.

Edited by Ban Hammer
to remove quoted post

Timeline

I have also been through the annulment process, frustratingly long with more delays and excuses than I can possible recount, Typhoon Ruby, first judge a female, never renders positive results for annulments, when our atty learned of this we pulled our case, greased some palms and got an agreeable male judge. We have had family emergency with the judge, sick prosecutor, a hostile rally in front of the court, three week court vacation, the above mentioned typhoon and as I said on and on, we started Feb 2014 and certificate of finality issued in May 2016. Unless you know someone expect the annulment once you have filed to take a year and then another 3-4 months for the documents you need for the interview.

Good luck on your journey

Filed: Timeline

FACTORS

Hello, we have not received yet our NOA2 but just wanna be a step ahead regarding this issue. My fiance had the annulment and my question is, can we make the pschological evaluation accredited by SLEC even prior to having the packet 3.This way, there will not be not much delay on medical exam.

Hello, we have not received yet our NOA2 but just wanna be a step ahead regarding this issue. My fiance had the annulment and my question is, can we make the pschological evaluation accredited by SLEC even prior to having the packet 3.This way, there will not be not much delay on medical exam.

Packet 3 normally does not come. You use the Embassy Letter to prepare. https://ph.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/82/2016/08/K1-and-K2-Applicant-Interview-Preparation-Instructions-08112016-English-336KB.pdf

Do you have your MNL# known as the case number? Have to have that before you can move forward with interview and medical.

You pay your fee for the interview. Schedule your interview. Give yourself about 45-60 days especially with psych eval. Then you can go can complete your medical. Once the medical is completed and the results are ready, then it's time for the interview that you had scheduled.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the info,didn't realize it will be that long wait just for psychological evaluation. When annulment was in process, a psychological eval was also done.Do they require a script of that regarding the situation or this process is done separately and will not base on psych eval done during the annulment. Do you know anybody other than your case that had the same requirement. Do you think this could be one reason a case will be denied?

Timeline

Only with the NVC case number can you move forward with your medical. The SLEC pre-registration process requires an NVC assigned case number. Once you have your NOA2 in hand (providing all goes well) you should have cleared by NVC process within just two to three weeks. Once complete, things move rather quickly. Its my opinion that you can can get through the medical (psych eval inlcuded) within three weeks. Not all cases are the same, but that timeline is reasonable. As always, anything goes in the Philippines, and things could turn in a heartbeat.

As far as the psych eval from your annulment. The psychologist's report will be included with the judge's final decision. If you have an independent copy of the report, keep it with you. You may or may not be required to submit all annulment based documents (including your PSA CENOMAR) at your medical. Be prepared and you won't be sorry.

In my research and experience, it is very unlikely that somebody would be denied at the medical stage because of the psychological / psychiatric evaluation. Many people here on VJ say they have never seen somebody denied as a result. I have heard stories of women who were determined to be a physical threat to themselves and / or others, and treatment was ordered before they could move forward. Relax, you will be fine. It is a frustrating process, but with the end in sight, just keep moving forward.

MEETING

12 March 2012: Met Dyn at a coffee shop in Kuwait

Summer 2012: I returned home to the U.S. to prepare a way for Dyn

Fall 2014: Dyn returns home to Philippines after seven years in Kuwait

ANNULMENT

February 2014: Engaged while I visited Philippines

March 2014: Officially hired attorney and filed for Dyn's annulment in Bohol, Philippines

December 2015: Bohol District Court issues decision in our favor

December 2015: Judge sends transcript of his decision to OSG for processing

February 05 2016: OSG returned receipt and approval to district court in Bohol. CoF to be issued end of second week in February

February 09 2016: Dyn is presented with the Entry of Judgment and her Certificate of Finality via the local court.

February 15 2016: LCR issues annotated marriage certificate, and necessary documents are forwarded to the NSO / PSA visa LBC

April 19 2016: Received CENOMAR and Annotated MC from PSA via private courier. DONE! COMPLETE! FINISHED! OFFICIAL!

I-129F / K1 VISA APPLICATION PROCESS

April 04 2016: I-129F sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS Priority Mail

April 12 2016: Email from USCIS acceptance confirmation

April 17 2016: Official NOA1 hard copy received

July 12 2016: NOA2 Approval hard copy received

July 14 2016: Post Decision Activity email from USCIS

THE LONG WAIT (USCIS misplaced approved petition)

September 16 2016: NVC received approved I-129F petition and assigns case number

INTERVIEW / MEDICAL PROCESS

October 04 2016: Day 1 of medical at SLEC in Manila

October 05 2016: Psychiatric evaluation off-site due to psychological incapacity annulment (10 hour eval with 800 question profile test)

October 13 2016: CFO Seminar completed successfully and certificate awarded (CFO stamp not issued until visa is presented).

October 20 2016: Return to SLEC complete psychological evaluation with resident psychologist (less than ten minutes)

October 21 2016: Vaccination day at SLEC (medical finally complete)

October 25 2016: Visa interview at USEM in Manila (APPROVED)

HOMECOMING

November 19 2016: Dyn's arrival at POE Dulles IAD in Washington DC

December 01 2016: Married

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi. I went through annulment as well. And what Ive learn was it actually depends on the court house where the case will be filed ( i mean how long will be the process), there are some court house that are strict when it comes to annulment. My annulment was a hassle free one, (except waiting time is really sickening!)

Edited by Ban Hammer
to remove quoted post

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.