victorbrown

My Costa Rica nightmare is over.

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I dont think ive ever got the same answer to the same question when dealing with immigration.

But after last week being told it would be 1 to 2 more weeks. they told my wife 2 to 3 more weeks.

Then yesterday morning my wife called again and they told her it would be over a month.

Then she called me crying.

Then an hour later they called her to tell her that her visa was done to come pick it up.

The last 2 months was the most frustrating experience of my life.

I want to thank everyone here.

And i will check back and try to help out others.

Now i have to start reading about what we have to do next.

Again Thank you

Victor Brown

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think you are alone in getting different answers every time you ask a question. That happened to us all the time, and at one point, were told that I could just come to the U.S. from Canada, get married, and adjust status.

We were very excited about that good news and almost went ahead and did just that and then I found out that we would have been no further ahead, except I would have to apply for the K-3 Visa, instead of the K-1 Visa, but I would have had no home to live in back in Canada because I would have given it up to move to the U.S. to get married.

I only wish that everyone knew that you can't trust ANYTHING that you get told from the USCIS mis-information line!!!! They are just staffed with people working at a call centre that know less about immigration issues than we do. They are not trained USCIS immigration officers at all, they are just reading from scripts.

Glad to hear that you are finally done with this phase of your journey. Best wishes!!!!

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hmm... I think I remember you talking about how difficult the whole thing had been. I'm really glad your wife finally got her visa and that it's almost over now.

Congratulations!

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

I dont think ive ever got the same answer to the same question when dealing with immigration.

But after last week being told it would be 1 to 2 more weeks. they told my wife 2 to 3 more weeks.

Then yesterday morning my wife called again and they told her it would be over a month.

Then an hour later they called her to tell her that her visa was done to come pick it up.

Again Thank you

Victor Brown

congratulationss

- Nov 2006

Paris Civil Wedding

- Jan 2007

DCF (CR1-CR2)

I-130 Aproved the same day i went to Paris Embassy

Form DS-2001 sent back to Paris Embassy

Got appointment letter for the final interview in March 2007 with my Case number.

Packet 4

Adam walsh law, call from embassy final interview postpone

Paris Embassy sent all pending I-130 petitions to Roma uscis for an Petionner background check

- Feb 2007

Medical visit

I- 130 petitions back from the Roma uscis ''reaproved''

Call from Paris Embassy confimation for my final interview in March 2007.

- March 2007

Final interview date: CR1-CR2 Aproved

Passports with visas came by chrono 5 days after interview.

57 days in total

- April 2007

Moving to USA

Atlanta POE

Again Thank you

Victor Brown

Victor

Way to Go! I'm happy for you dude. We both are out of the woods with the Adam Walsh fiasco. Looks like we both got our visas within days of each other.

I know it was a pain in the butt, however, all things considered we got off easy. there are a lot of good people out there who are still going through the hassle.

Good luck with your new life

captainButch

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Holy Rollercoaster Batman!

I am sorry you and your wife had to go through that. I hope she (and you of course) felt huge happiness when they rang her back and told her the Visa was issued.

Best of Luck moving forward!

I-130

02/17/2007 - I-130 Express Mailed to VSC via USPS. (ETA 2/19/2007)

02/22/2007 - I-130 received by VSC.

06/12/2007 - NOA2 approval email received!!!

06/15/2007 - NOA2 letter received in the mail.

NVC

06/19/2007 - NVC receives case and assigns a case number!

08/27/2007 - CASE COMPLETE!!!!

09/06/2007 - Case forwarded to Sydney

09/14/2007 - Wife receives Packet 3. Received NVC letter confirming case forward to Sydney.

10/26/2007 - Interview - VISA GRANTED!!!!! WOOO WOOO!!!!!!

11/18/2007 - Enter the US via LAX (POE). No issues thankfully. 20 minutes of processing.

11/30/2007 - Welcome letter (two of them) received.

12/19/2007 - CR-1 Green Card received.

USCIS - I-751

09/23/2009 - Express Mailed Removal of Conditions application

09/24/2009 - USPS confirmed delivery to VSC

09/29/2009 - Check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2009 - Received NOA I-797C dated 09/25/2009

10/10/2009 - Received Biometric appt letter for 10/29/2009

10/29/2009 - Biometrics taken. Whole process took about 40 min including the wait

12/22/2009 - Approved for ROC!

01/08/2010 - Received text and email: Card production ordered

01/15/2010 - Received Green Card in the mail!

USCIS - N-400

04/22/2011 - Express Mailed Application for Naturalization

04/27/2011 - Check cashed by USCIS

04/28/2011 - Received NOA I-797C dated 04/26/2011

05/27/2011 - Biometrics taken. Process took approx 35 min with wait

07/29/2011 - Received Interview Appt letter scheduled for 09/01/2011 dated 07/26/2011

09/01/2011 - Interview and Oath. Now a USC! The VJ is over!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Felicidades, Victor y Senora Victor!

I'm so glad to hear that your logjam has broken. Your life in CR sounds so idylic tho--can't believe you're leaving even for a little while! :)

Happy travels!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Felicidades, Victor y Senora Victor!

I'm so glad to hear that your logjam has broken. Your life in CR sounds so idylic tho--can't believe you're leaving even for a little while! :)

Happy travels!

Thanks I only come back to the states here and there for a couple months at a time to work with family. I dont know when those times will arise.

So i couldnt plan ahead to get a visa everytime for my wife. It looks like im reading that my wife can not leave for more than 6 months a year.

I really only wanted to come back here for 2 or 3 months a year at most.

I just did 3 months without my wife and son and i dont want that to happen again.

Again Thank you

Victor Brown

Victor

Way to Go! I'm happy for you dude. We both are out of the woods with the Adam Walsh fiasco. Looks like we both got our visas within days of each other.

I know it was a pain in the butt, however, all things considered we got off easy. there are a lot of good people out there who are still going through the hassle.

Good luck with your new life

captainButch

Thanks Captain It was rough and i really feel for the others still waiting.

I can only imagine how many people still out there that dont know about this website and are just calling and getting different answers all the time.

The reports of people starting to get appointments and such that got posted here really helped. Especially yours since we were dealing with the same district.

So Thanks alot

Timeline
It looks like im reading that my wife can not leave for more than 6 months a year.

hi victor, did you read that here at VJ? Can you show me where?

I ask, because that is a rumor among new PRs, that they can not leave for more than 6 moonths at a time. It is not true.

Please see the links in my signature, especially the first one. It details important rights & responsibilities, including information about living outside the US. You want to be particularly concerned with 'maintaining permanent resident status' and you seriously might want to meet with a lawyer about the best strategy for your wife to keep her PR status current. Your situation is sufficiently unique that this would be worth your money and time.

The consequence is your wife being stripped of her PR status and having to re-immigrate or get a different visa.

The 'six months' is not a phantom--if a PR wants to naturalize to USC, they have to be aware that an absense of +6months at a stretch impacts their eligibility to apply for USC. But the rules for just remaining a PR are different.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

It looks like im reading that my wife can not leave for more than 6 months a year.

hi victor, did you read that here at VJ? Can you show me where?

I ask, because that is a rumor among new PRs, that they can not leave for more than 6 moonths at a time. It is not true.

Please see the links in my signature, especially the first one. It details important rights & responsibilities, including information about living outside the US. You want to be particularly concerned with 'maintaining permanent resident status' and you seriously might want to meet with a lawyer about the best strategy for your wife to keep her PR status current. Your situation is sufficiently unique that this would be worth your money and time.

The consequence is your wife being stripped of her PR status and having to re-immigrate or get a different visa.

The 'six months' is not a phantom--if a PR wants to naturalize to USC, they have to be aware that an absense of +6months at a stretch impacts their eligibility to apply for USC. But the rules for just remaining a PR are different.

Thanks i appreciate all the advice i can get. I will just go back for 3 and half months from December14 to march 31 i think just to play it safe.

I live up in maine and this is no place for costa ricans during that time.

My wife speaks perfect english and is very book smart so getting her naturalisation should be no problem.

So i just have to be carefull not to leave to long for the first 2 years then get the naturalisation.

Then i should be able to come and go when we want.

I am a builder so this is a pain i wont be able to have projects going here and down there and go back and forth when i need too.

I dont remember were i read the 6 month thing i thought it was on the big welcome to america download.

Again thank you so much

Victor

Timeline
Thanks i appreciate all the advice i can get. I will just go back for 3 and half months from December14 to march 31 i think just to play it safe.

I live up in maine and this is no place for costa ricans during that time.

My wife speaks perfect english and is very book smart so getting her naturalisation should be no problem.

So i just have to be carefull not to leave to long for the first 2 years then get the naturalisation.

Then i should be able to come and go when we want.

I am a builder so this is a pain i wont be able to have projects going here and down there and go back and forth when i need too.

hi again victor,

If you maintain a permanent home in the US, and your wife can tie herself to it, you should be able to split your time out OK--we did, for the first couple of years (til it got too expensive!)--read up on it a bit more so you know what to consider.

Permanent Resident status can be 'lost' in a single day, or a person can be out of the US for a years and still maintain their status. It is very individual and too complex. Your plan of naturalization makes sense to me--freedom was a big motivator for us, too.

You do want to re-check your timeline assumptions.

Your wife will become a Permanent Resident on the day she enters the US.

2 years after becoming a PR, she will have to Remove Conditions with form I-751. She may send this in any time in the 90 days before the expiration date on her Green Card.

3 years after becoming a PR is the earliest she may naturalize to USC. The earliest she may apply is in the 90 days before her 3rd anniversary as a PR. Being eligible involves more than time as a PR and time in the US (her language proficiency etc will certainly help her!) so be sure to have a look at the Guide to Naturalization from uscis.gov for all the details.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.