alix

Bringing my mom from Brazil

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

HI everyone,

I am planning to bring my mom to live here with me and my family (husband and kids). She will be living with us. I am working at the moment but my husband makes a lot more money than I do. Also, I need her to be here in the beginning of the year as I'll be going to a 6-week training in another state and need her to help with the kids. My questions are:

1. Can we apply when she is here on a tourist visa, after my training, for example?

2. Do I have to use my sole income or can I have it combined with my husband? We will both be supporting her.

3. if we start the process now while she is in Brazil, can she come to help with the kids while I'm in training and then go back for her interview?

Thank you in advance!

N-400 (based on 3-year marriage rule)
06/05/2014 Application Sent
06/06/2014 Application Received in Phoenix

06/09/2014 Priority Date

06/11/2014 Notice Date

06/12//2014 Check Cashed
06/12/2014 Received email/text receipt confirmation from Phoenix Lockbox

06/17/2014 Biometrics Letter mailed
06/20/2014 Biometrics Letter Received

06/24/2014 Biometrics Walk-in

06/26/2014 In line for Interview

07/03/2014 Original Biometrics Appointment

07/29/2014 Yellow Letter Received

09/05/2014 Interview letter Received

10/07/2014 Interview

10/17/2014 Received email/text that oath has been scheduled

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

1. No

2. He can be a sponsor

3. No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

From filing the immigrant petition to visa in hand it takes around a year, so it doesn't look like she's going to be here for your training.

Having her come here with a tourist visa and adjust status is fraud. Having her come here to babysit is misusing her tourist visa, that is supposed to be for tourist reasons and not to work.

Your husband can be a joint sponsor for her if he makes enough for the household size plus the immigrant

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

How old is your mom? Reason why I ask is because we are considering this route for wife's mom also in Brazil. However we are thinking to save the time, money and effort by waiting for my wife to get her citizen in a couple of years and apply for the GC for her mom. Which would be cost effective and cleaner way to do it. But your mom can certainly try to apply for a tourist visa as long as she can show her ties in Brazil. If she's 66y/o or over her interview MAY be waived and be granted a visa. Read the link below from the US Embassy in Brazil.

https://br.usembassy.gov/visas/temporary-employment/the-interview/

Brazilian citizens and Argentinian citizens who are residents of Brazil, aged 15 and younger or those who are age 66 and older applying for B1/B2 visas for tourism or business, and who have never been denied a visa are generally not required to schedule an interview at the Consulate or Embassy. Applicants within these age groups do not need to have their fingerprints or photo collected, however they should schedule an appointment at the Applicant Service Center (ASC) to deliver their documents. These documents can be delivered by the applicant or by their representative.

Applicants aged 15 and applicants ages 66-79 who do not qualify for an interview waiver must be fingerprinted.

https://br.usembassy.gov/visas/temporary-employment/the-interview/

ROC:

Filed: 2/22/17

VSC Received: 2/26/17

Check Cashed: 3/12/17

NOA1: 3/15/17

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My mom has a tourist visa and has been here many times.She just turned 65. I was just trying to understand what is the correct procedure and if there was any way to get her here quicker, that's all.

Amazing how things get turned around here so quickly!

N-400 (based on 3-year marriage rule)
06/05/2014 Application Sent
06/06/2014 Application Received in Phoenix

06/09/2014 Priority Date

06/11/2014 Notice Date

06/12//2014 Check Cashed
06/12/2014 Received email/text receipt confirmation from Phoenix Lockbox

06/17/2014 Biometrics Letter mailed
06/20/2014 Biometrics Letter Received

06/24/2014 Biometrics Walk-in

06/26/2014 In line for Interview

07/03/2014 Original Biometrics Appointment

07/29/2014 Yellow Letter Received

09/05/2014 Interview letter Received

10/07/2014 Interview

10/17/2014 Received email/text that oath has been scheduled

Filed: Timeline

She can babysit on the tourist visa. She's VISITING you and your kid, right? As long as you're not going to pay her mom to babysit, then it's fine. Tourist doesn't literally mean going sightseeing.

If she comes to the US with the intent of adjusting status, that's fraud. If she does not come with that intent, but later decides to do that, then it should be fine. Talk to a lawyer.

If you start the process now, she will not be able to get into the country on a tourist visa.

She can babysit on the tourist visa. She's VISITING you and your kid, right? As long as you're not going to pay her mom to babysit, then it's fine. Tourist doesn't literally mean going sightseeing.

If she comes to the US with the intent of adjusting status, that's fraud. If she does not come with that intent, but later decides to do that, then it should be fine. Talk to a lawyer.

If you start the process now, she will not be able to get into the country on a tourist visa.

That's right. The mom should tell the CBP officer honestly that she is coming over to babysit her grandchild.

The officer will just wave her through the line without any issue.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Please do some research before you post. Your advice in this thread and in other threads are wrong and potentially dangerous for anyone following them.

Babysitting is work. It doesn't not matter no payments are made. If you did any research on this site, you will find vast amount of information where grandmothers have been denied visitor visas for saying they are coming to babysit a grandchild. If you had just Googled "grandmother visitor visa babysitting," you would have found the correct answer but you didn't even bother to do that before posting your advice that she can babysit on a tourist visa as long as she was not getting paid.

Why would she need to talk to a lawyer?

Use the search function on this site. You will find that many people with visitor visas have been able to get into the US on visitor visas with pending immigration petitions. There is even a pinned thread on this. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/

Do research before you post your opinions as advice for people to follow. Following your advice can ruin people's lives. This is not a game. You are messing with people's lives.

Edited by Jojo92122

Please do some research before you post. Your advice in this thread and in other threads are wrong and potentially dangerous for anyone following them.

Babysitting is work. It doesn't not matter no payments are made. If you did any research on this site, you will find vast amount of information where grandmothers have been denied visitor visas for saying they are coming to babysit a grandchild. If you had just Googled "grandmother visitor visa babysitting," you would have found the correct answer but you didn't even bother to do that before posting your advice that she can babysit on a tourist visa as long as she was not getting paid.

Why would she need to talk to a lawyer?

Use the search function on this site. You will find that many people with visitor visas have been able to get into the US on visitor visas with pending immigration petitions. There is even a pinned thread on this. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/

Do research before you post your opinions as advice for people to follow. Following your advice can ruin people's lives. This is not a game. You are messing with people's lives.

Because a lawyer would have told her that the answer to "why are you coming to the US" is "to visit family, and to be with my grandson" which is true.

Fair enough to "do your research," though.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Because a lawyer would have told her that the answer to "why are you coming to the US" is "to visit family, and to be with my grandson" which is true.

But to visit family and to be with my grandson is totally different from babysitting.....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought child care in the US is free, only done by volunteers?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

She needs to pay a lawyer to tell her that visiting is okay and that coming to take care of her grandchild is not? Us telling her this is not good enough?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.