Thesmiths2016

Submitting evidence of savings etc as "proof of assets" for Affidavit of Support

5 posts in this topic

Looking for advice please. I see a lot of questions and answers for those filing with income (themselves and/or sponsor) HOWEVER we will be filing with proof of funds (savings and regular checking account etc) for our Affidavit of Support as both my hubby and I are abroad (therefore his income here doesn't count).

For those who have done this, how did you submit/present the information?

1) Did you print out copies of bank statements?

2) Do I require a letter from the bank verifying the funds are ours?

3) Does it matter than the money is in Australian, NZ, and American bank accounts?

4) Do I need to show the current exchange rate and the funds in their original currency vs US$ or will NVC do this?

Thanks in advance!

Got married: 26th Sep 2013 

I-130 Petition Process:

Sent petition to USCIS Chicago lockbox (via in-laws to put check in US$): 11 Mar, 2016

NOA1: 24 Mar, 2016 (email notification 30 Mar. Hardcopy 11 Apr)

Service Centre: NEBRASKA

NOA2: 3rd Aug 2016

Petition sent to NVC: 18th Aug 2016

NVC Stage

Case number assigned: 8th Sep 2016

Paid AOS Fee: 9th Sep 2016

Paid IV Fee: 14th Sep 2016

DS-260 submitted: 25th Jan 2017

AOS & IV Package sent: 25th Jan 2017

Expedite requested: 25th Jan 2017

Expedite approved (consulate only): 1st Feb 2017

Scan Date: 31st Jan 2017

Case Complete: 14th April 2017 (10 weeks 4 days)

Full expedite approved (bypass NVC to send file to embassy), however too late as I already had case complete 17th Apr 2017

Case arrived at Embassy: 21st April 2017

P4 letter received: 26th April 2017 (expedite at embassy stage so this came from the consulate, not NVC)

Medical date: 26th April 2017

Interview date: 4th May 2017 APPROVED!!

Visa received: 8th May 2017 

POE (entered the USA): 15th May 2017 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Looking for advice please. I see a lot of questions and answers for those filing with income (themselves and/or sponsor) HOWEVER we will be filing with proof of funds (savings and regular checking account etc) for our Affidavit of Support as both my hubby and I are abroad (therefore his income here doesn't count).

For those who have done this, how did you submit/present the information?

1) Did you print out copies of bank statements?

2) Do I require a letter from the bank verifying the funds are ours?

3) Does it matter than the money is in Australian, NZ, and American bank accounts?

4) Do I need to show the current exchange rate and the funds in their original currency vs US$ or will NVC do this?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Thesmiths2016,

I had a cousin that went through this recently, and they used only himself as a sponsor using his savings (he had saved up quite a bit, but wasn't currently working by choice). He was also living in the USA so unfortunately, I can't help you out with questions (3) and (4)

He sent in the following --

1. A notarized letter from the bank manager stating they had XXX funds in the savings account and that this balance hadn't been touched in over XX years.
  2. Bank statements from the last five years showing that the savings had increased.
  3. Notarized letter from his brokerage firm stating his current total savings in stocks and a list of the portfolio value over the past 5 years.

His lawyer at the time was basically trying to show (a) they have enough balance, and (b) that these funds aren't something temporary and are really savings you have on hand to support your spouse.

Edited by agripa

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

We used assets in my name (beneficiary) and held in Sweden. We used savings account and stock portfolio.

You need to include statements that show that you've had the assets for at least a year. The assets can be in either of your names or both your names.

We also did a signed letter from the bank manager stating amounts in both Swedish kronor and USD, including exchange rate. Just a normal letter on letter headed paper and with original signature.

Good luck

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.