ncarson008

Name on I-129F must be exactly like passport? Passport is strange transliteration

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi, I'm currently trying to fill out a I-129F and had a question for y'all.

My fiance has a Belorussian Passport but has lived in Moscow for the last 16 years. Her name is Kristina but when I look at how Belarus translates it into English in her passport, it is written: "Krystsina"

The same with her parents Oleg = "Aleh" and Svetlana = "Sviatlana"

1) My question to you is how do I go about filling out these forms? She wants to use Kristina because the Belorussian transliterations are awful, but I am afraid if I put Kristina and the officer sees "Krystsina" there could be problems and possible rejection for mismatching names. Would I put Kristina as the name and her passport name as Other names used?

2) Additionally if there is no way to go forward with Kristina on the I-129f when would I be able to change her name to the proper spelling. I don't want to saddle her with an idiotic translation on every document she needs to drive/work/take credit. Would I have another chance at AOS?

And yes her b1/b2 also lists name as Krystsina, so I might be stuck with that until a wedding and that name change process.

Thank you for any help you can provide, I appreciate it greatly!

Neill

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

THIS!

I'm in the same boat with my husband. :( His first name is translated awfully with a double "-ii" ending instead of a simple "-y"

We went to the local passport FMS here and they said that in Russia it's impossible to change unless you have an official document with the corrected transliteration. :/

So, we are planning to do everything with the silly "-ii" version because that's what's on his official travel document.

You can try to get her a new passport with an updated name spelling and see if you have any luck.

If anyone else has had luck with using a spelling different from on the passport, I'd love to know.

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi, I'm currently trying to fill out a I-129F and had a question for y'all.

My fiance has a Belorussian Passport but has lived in Moscow for the last 16 years. Her name is Kristina but when I look at how Belarus translates it into English in her passport, it is written: "Krystsina"

The same with her parents Oleg = "Aleh" and Svetlana = "Sviatlana"

1) My question to you is how do I go about filling out these forms? She wants to use Kristina because the Belorussian transliterations are awful, but I am afraid if I put Kristina and the officer sees "Krystsina" there could be problems and possible rejection for mismatching names. Would I put Kristina as the name and her passport name as Other names used?

2) Additionally if there is no way to go forward with Kristina on the I-129f when would I be able to change her name to the proper spelling. I don't want to saddle her with an idiotic translation on every document she needs to drive/work/take credit. Would I have another chance at AOS?

And yes her b1/b2 also lists name as Krystsina, so I might be stuck with that until a wedding and that name change process.

Thank you for any help you can provide, I appreciate it greatly!

Neill

Hi :)

You can not use any other names, but the name in her ID. Her K1 visa will be issued under name, indicated in her Travel document (her International Passport). If she doesn't like how her name is spelled there, she have to change it in her passport BEFORE filling the I-129F.

But, to be honest, it probably won't be easy... Usually the Authorities there are pretty picky about this, and she, most likely, will be asked to present "a basic" for another spelling - a document, where her name is spelled the way she likes.. For example, DL and Passport. Transliteration changes time to time. My Passport was issued earlier, than my DL. And I "caught" my first name in my DL and in my passport was spelled a little different. So, i could ask them to "harmonize" the two documents.

Also, you can not put Kristina as her new name on the I-129F, and Krystina - under "other name used", because she doesn't have any proof of her name change (Court Decision or Name Change Certificate or so) Simple. So, just use her first name as it indicated in her Travel document.

When she is in the US, and it's time for AOS, again - she will be able to change her last name, from maiden name to her married one, but not her first name. I might be mistaken, but as far as know most states require you to fill out a petition, explaining a reason to change the name. You should go to your State's Courts website to obtain the proper forms and learn all the requirements in your jurisdiction.

Good luck!!! :)

Timeline

You can not use any other names, but the name in her ID. Her K1 visa will be issued under name, indicated in her Travel document (her International Passport). If she doesn't like how her name is spelled there, she have to change it in her passport BEFORE filling the I-129F.

But, to be honest, it probably won't be easy... Usually the Authorities there are pretty picky about this, and she, most likely, will be asked to present "a basic" for another spelling - a document, where her name is spelled the way she likes.. For example, DL and Passport. Transliteration changes time to time. My Passport was issued earlier, than my DL. And I "caught" my first name in my DL and in my passport was spelled a little different. So, i could ask them to "harmonize" the two documents.

Also, you can not put Kristina as her new name on the I-129F, and Krystina - under "other name used", because she doesn't have any proof of her name change (Court Decision or Name Change Certificate or so) Simple. So, just use her first name as it indicated in her Travel document.

When she is in the US, and it's time for AOS, again - she will be able to change her last name, from maiden name to her married one, but not her first name. I might be mistaken, but as far as know most states require you to fill out a petition, explaining a reason to change the name. You should go to your State's Courts website to obtain the proper forms and learn all the requirements in your jurisdiction.

I've actually changed my (last) name in the US, not due to a spelling issue but for other reasons.

When I changed my name in the local city courts, almost everyone else there were immigrants changing their names due to improper transliterations. This was in NYC and there wasn't even a petition. You just had to tell the judge why you wanted the change and show that you had no prior criminal record. It's all pretty straightforward, stateside. The fees vary from court to court but I think the procedures are more or less similar in most states.

But for the meantime, it seems like people with poorly transliterated names are stuck with whatever their country's issue them on their passports. :/

I'm wondering myself about the name change after receiving the green card. I don't know how it goes or if it's possible, but I hope it is.

Spoiler

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Spoiler

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline

Yeah I figured it would be a bureaucratic nightmare to get done. She will come in November under her B1/B2 Visa and then we will file the K1 and wait as long as possible together, so getting a new Passport is impossible at this time.

Thank you for the tip, I did not know any other name needed to be documented. I will just use her passport name exactly as it appears in English, without even a patronymic . The last thing I would want is to be denied a k1 for mismatching information due to "Krystsina" being spelled differently.

As I understand it, I would need to wait to do a First name change until she is an American citizen? or could it be done within the 3 year waiting period after she has her Green Card?

This whole process is so convoluted. Thanks for the help!

Timeline

I've actually changed my (last) name in the US, not due to a spelling issue but for other reasons.

When I changed my name in the local city courts, almost everyone else there were immigrants changing their names due to improper transliterations. This was in NYC and there wasn't even a petition. You just had to tell the judge why you wanted the change and show that you had no prior criminal record. It's all pretty straightforward, stateside. The fees vary from court to court but I think the procedures are more or less similar in most states.

But for the meantime, it seems like people with poorly transliterated names are stuck with whatever their country's issue them on their passports. :/

I'm wondering myself about the name change after receiving the green card. I don't know how it goes or if it's possible, but I hope it is.

Yes, sounds like here, in the US, it's really not difficult at all to change your name if you would like.. but " other there" they know how to make simple things - impossible.. :(

A year ago I went to Ukraine and wanted to get my last name changed in my Travel document, from maiden name to married, as it was indicated on all my documents, issued by USCIS.. At the end of all I got this done, but it was such a pain in my behind...

Timeline

Yeah I figured it would be a bureaucratic nightmare to get done. She will come in November under her B1/B2 Visa and then we will file the K1 and wait as long as possible together, so getting a new Passport is impossible at this time.

Thank you for the tip, I did not know any other name needed to be documented. I will just use her passport name exactly as it appears in English, without even a patronymic . The last thing I would want is to be denied a k1 for mismatching information due to "Krystsina" being spelled differently.

As I understand it, I would need to wait to do a First name change until she is an American citizen? or could it be done within the 3 year waiting period after she has her Green Card?

This whole process is so convoluted. Thanks for the help!

You probably would like to travel, internationally.. And she will be still using her International Passport for traveling, so I would wait with the name change until she is eligible to file for the US citizenship..

Timeline

You probably would like to travel, internationally.. And she will be still using her International Passport for traveling, so I would wait with the name change until she is eligible to file for the US citizenship..

You can also double check with the Belarussian embassy in the US for what exact document will be needed to change the spelling of her name and then plan accordingly, and then proceed with the name changing once she's at least a green card holder, then take it from there.

It'll probably be a pain and take a lot of fees and filing, but since her name actually resembles a normal American name (unlike my husband who is a totally odd and rare name even by nowadays Russian standards) but yet the spelling is so off, it might be worth it if you guys are planning to stay in the US for the long haul.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline

Just to avoid any difficulties at the airports, with different name spelling in different documents.. Just imagine - tickets will be under her passport name, but the document, which allows her to enter the US, will have technically another first name (you can always present your Marriage License as a proof of her last name if she takes yours, but what about first one???)... I wouldn't worry about the US Customs, they will understand ;) but any airport where you can have a connection/layover on your way back, can give you a hard time...

Timeline

Just to avoid any difficulties at the airports, with different name spelling in different documents.. Just imagine - tickets will be under her passport name, but the document, which allows her to enter the US, will have technically another first name (you can always present your Marriage License as a proof of her last name if she takes yours, but what about first one???)... I wouldn't worry about the US Customs, they will understand ;) but any airport where you can have a connection/layover on your way back, can give you a hard time...

I agree, it would probably be smart then to wait until she is no longer tied to a Belorussian passport and can be a citizen. It will be an annoyance having to ensure all her forms are filled out with her Legal name, but I guess 3-4 years is not so bad in the long term view.

Thanks for the help!

Timeline

You can also double check with the Belarussian embassy in the US for what exact document will be needed to change the spelling of her name and then plan accordingly, and then proceed with the name changing once she's at least a green card holder, then take it from there.

It'll probably be a pain and take a lot of fees and filing, but since her name actually resembles a normal American name (unlike my husband who is a totally odd and rare name even by nowadays Russian standards) but yet the spelling is so off, it might be worth it if you guys are planning to stay in the US for the long haul.

Yeah, not many options of where to go with a Belorussian passport, I think she will be able to wait and just celebrate with a cool trip somewhere fancy after becoming a US citizen and gets a new passport.

But if it does become a hassle, I guess it is nice to know that we have a 3 year window to get that done. Hopefully changing a Belorussian name on her passport would not kill us with 2 levels of bureaucracy in 2 different languages.

Timeline

The Belarussian Embassy in the US follows the same rules and uses the same transliteration as the Country. So, if she cant get it done over there, she most likely, won't be able to do so here, in the US..

All this process is stressful enough . I-129F - K1 interview - then AOS - ROC - citizenship, and somehow "between" all of these she still has to get her DL #1, then few renewals with each new document, issued by USCIS . It takes time, money, strength, sometimes even nerves. :) .

As you see, you will have so many things to do and worry about! So, I really wouldn't bother myself with first name change until it's time for citizenship, or as millefleur said - she is at least a grean card holder..

GOOD LUCK!!!! :)

Timeline

Yeah, not many options of where to go with a Belorussian passport, I think she will be able to wait and just celebrate with a cool trip somewhere fancy after becoming a US citizen and gets a new passport.

But if it does become a hassle, I guess it is nice to know that we have a 3 year window to get that done. Hopefully changing a Belorussian name on her passport would not kill us with 2 levels of bureaucracy in 2 different languages.

Good luck with it all. It's really very stupid that the Russian/Belorussian/Ukrainian governments are so rigid about the name transliteration. Many Slavic people are complaining about this and yet the governments do nothing. :/

My guess with her name is that people will just misspell it a lot in the meantime so she'll just have to correct people and double check it when it comes to official places like banks, job related stuff, insurance, etc. Annoying but doable. Thankfully her name is easy to pronounce for Americans, so at least there's that! :D

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline

The Belarussian Embassy in the US follows the same rules and uses the same transliteration as the Country. So, if she cant get it done over there, she most likely, won't be able to do so here, in the US..

All this process is stressful enough . I-129F - K1 interview - then AOS - ROC - citizenship, and somehow "between" all of these she still has to get her DL #1, then few renewals with each new document, issued by USCIS . It takes time, money, strength, sometimes even nerves. :) .

As you see, you will have so many things to do and worry about! So, I really wouldn't bother myself with first name change until it's time for citizenship, or as millefleur said - she is at least a green card holder..

GOOD LUCK!!!! :)

Yeah, she is a sweetheart and cooks some amazing bliny... I would go to the ends of the earth and deal with it all if it is important for her to be happy.

Timeline

Good luck with it all. It's really very stupid that the Russian/Belorussian/Ukrainian governments are so rigid about the name transliteration. Many Slavic people are complaining about this and yet the governments do nothing. :/

My guess with her name is that people will just misspell it a lot in the meantime so she'll just have to correct people and double check it when it comes to official places like banks, job related stuff, insurance, etc. Annoying but doable. Thankfully her name is easy to pronounce for Americans, so at least there's that! :D

Умом Россию не понять... I need to get that as a tattoo one day how often I say that))

Good to know that governments around the world can be counted on for their love of turning the simple things into a complex journey. What is life without challenge? :dancing:

Thanks for all the help to everyone, I appreciate it greatly!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.