verysadguy

Fox news article on fraudulent abuse claims for green cards

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/08/immigrants-preying-on-americans-with-false-tales-abuse-to-stay-in-us-experts-say.html

Not a very well written article but yet another heartbreaking tale of foreigners preying on unsuspecting Americans. I never knew anything until it hit me. Why doesn't USCIS make it absolutely clear from the very beginning of any visa application. This poor kid wasn't even in any visa petitioner class which makes the story even more scary.

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

30 year healthcare professional

Victim of heinous immigration romance scam

Father of a lovely little girl

And champion for those wronged by fraud.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Now that is pretty alarming. It is that easy to "play the system"?

It's actually kind of scary considering how many illegal immigrants are in the US and it just takes potentially something like "stalking" to help secure them potential asylum?

Quite an eye opener I must say.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline

What can USCIS do to aviid us getting scammed?

We petition people. We are the ones that need to be responsible to get to know these people well enough.

Like in all relationships someone always able to deceive the other....

I mean if we are with these people day in and out or on a phone via skype facetime whatsapp ect. And we dont see it....

How is USCIS gonna see it more then us?

A couple of ways:

1. They can make petitioning more stringent. Better background checks. Suggesting hiring private investigators in your beneficiaries home countries. And USCIS is very very very lax on warning and educating petitioners in advance and during the various processes of the potential risks and warning signs AND how to deal with beneficiaries when things turn sour. I had ZERO clue until I showed up in court, and I was flabbergasted that I was called an abuser in court. I treated my wife like a queen.

2. The immigration laws must be changed. They were conceived with good intentions, and don't get me wrong there are certainly some immigrants who are abused and deserve protection but not necessarily an easy path to a green card. And the American Citizen deserve his/her day in court. To punish US citizens and protect the foreigner with no due process and no angle of defense is just against all precepts of a fair adjudication process. Horrific even! Just my two cents.

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

Timeline

Here is the real shocker for those who wish to deal in statistics and how exploited and abused the system is...

When first started VAWA had low numbers and over the years gradually grew. Two possible reasons, yes maybe more abused beneficiaries were brave enough to come forward, but also because foreigners began learning of the loophole and how to exploit it. Even some prominent VAWA attorneys will tell you in some countries they hold seminars on how to get a green card through VAWA! TRUE!

However, the numbers are exploding as people want to take advantage of American citizens and FREE AMERICAN TAX DOLLAR BENEFITS.

6000, then 8000, then 12,000 annual VAWA claims? Really? Not 4 abused immigrants every single day but FORTY every single day? I don't buy there are that many cases of extreme abuse on a daily basis. No freaking way. It is massive fraudulent claims of abuse. I know I was one of them. Go read my thread.

Look at this years current stats that are nothing short of alarming and a threat to national security and the real abuse is of our tax payer dollars:

2016 VAWA statistics, From the USCIS website, it is so sick. They know that foreigners are scamming Americans yet the denial rate keeps dropping.

1st quarter

Received Approved Denied Pending

10,089 6,133 804 15,411

2nd quarter

9,099 7,418 994 16,689

They used to deny 20%+. Now Vermont has rolled over and played dead. Denying about 10%. Why have an immigration office at all? Just let them in!!!

We are on track for 35,000 to 40,000 VAWA green card this year!!! That is absolutely LUDICROUS. Congress but wake the hell up.

As I've said before these are not Obama's promised engineers, scientists, professors and entrepreneurs. Those folks have a of a time with H1B visas.

These VAWA applicants are high likelihood of being thugs, buggers, prostitutes, druggies, sociopaths, beggars, peasants, thieves, con artists and liars from impoverished countries and backgrounds preying on US Citizens. Something has to give.

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Wow the Vermont Unit has gone even more nuts.

Here is the 3rd quarter fiscal year I-360 stats

10,604 9,444 892 17,512

89% approvals now and they are on track to receive over 40,000 annual I-360 applications. Who cannot figure out the rest of the world knows how to get to the USA via easy street, aka, VAWA?

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/reports-studies/immigration-forms-data/data-set-all-uscis-application-and-petition-form-types

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Numbers still super high compared to past years. The foreign scammer community has figured out the path to a green card!

Here are the 4th quarter numbers for I-360. This is your US Gov't thumbing its nose in the face of its own US Citizens:

4th Quarter1 4th Quarter1 4th Quarter1 4th Quarter1 FY 2016 To-Date  FY 2016 To-Date
Forms Received Approved Denied Pending Forms Received Approved

9,615            8,334         1,281                20,582                               39,407                31,329

Seriously? 31,329 approvals this fiscal year? Does anyone really believe among the small population of relationship based visas has almost 100 significant cases of domestic violence every single day of the calendar year? What a joke.

With an 87% approval rate? C'mon Vermont. You suck!

And still with 20,582 pending files? That likely means 17,900 additional green cards to be given out. This is an outrage to US Citizens who are left out in the cold with no recourse to fight back. And many falsely accused US Citizens are arrested and given a permanent record with little chance to prove themselves innocent. Even if you aren't arrested and your fraudulent foreign scammer gets a green card, you still have a federal level decision made against you!

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Before this thread becomes the VAWA bash thread here are some statistics:

• On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.1
  • 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have been victims of [some form of] physical violence by an intimate partner within their lifetime.1

http://ncadv.org/learn-more/statistics

yes, I do agree that VAWA may in fact be over used.  However, it's important not to downplay it as a tool either for genuine cases.  Abuse is abuse be it your spouse calling you degrading names on a daily basis, hiding money from you or not allowing you access to funds, or beating you within an inch of your life.  These are all things that happen more often than not.  

As for having classes on how to claim VAWA, I think that it's important for an immigrant to know.  Through my own DV journey I've met many women who were grateful for learning about vawa as they became scared, victimized and felt like slaves.

the coin has two sides.

Timeline
On 9/9/2016 at 5:03 PM, verysadguy said:

A couple of ways:

1. They can make petitioning more stringent. Better background checks. Suggesting hiring private investigators in your beneficiaries home countries. And USCIS is very very very lax on warning and educating petitioners in advance and during the various processes of the potential risks and warning signs AND how to deal with beneficiaries when things turn sour. I had ZERO clue until I showed up in court, and I was flabbergasted that I was called an abuser in court. I treated my wife like a queen.

2. The immigration laws must be changed. They were conceived with good intentions, and don't get me wrong there are certainly some immigrants who are abused and deserve protection but not necessarily an easy path to a green card. And the American Citizen deserve his/her day in court. To punish US citizens and protect the foreigner with no due process and no angle of defense is just against all precepts of a fair adjudication process. Horrific even! Just my two cents.

Private investors?  Do you realize the cost in that?

Timeline
15 hours ago, Transborderwife said:

Private investors?  Do you realize the cost in that?

You mean private INVESTIGATORS? Not that expensive and would give a layer of safety and security. Wouldn't you rather have the petitioner be sure as that expense would be far less than divorce, criminal trials, child custody, scammers maxing out credit cards etc.? Almost all of these unfairly ripped off Americans get totally fleeced by VAWA scammers. 

Also, I know about domestic violence. I am a working professional in the healthcare field. My point is putting in multiple easy steps long before DV becomes the issue. 

1. Fair warning to petitioners

2. Increased background checks

3. Fairness in adjudication for the US CItizen (removal of hearsay evidence, stringency on emotional abuse, expert testimony on physical abuse, US Citizen option to plead his/her side of the case)

4. Increased awareness to beneficiaries as well about DV and risk of deportation for fraud!

Also, you have extrapolated the entire gamut of DV statistics across the entire population of the US to the beneficiary pool. That is not a fair comparison. 

And yes, if you commit DV then you should be made bankrupt! (Surely, I jest...)

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

Timeline
2 minutes ago, verysadguy said:

You mean private INVESTIGATORS? Not that expensive and would give a layer of safety and security. Wouldn't you rather have the petitioner be sure as that expense would be far less than divorce, criminal trials, child custody, scammers maxing out credit cards etc.? Almost all of these unfairly ripped off Americans get totally fleeced by VAWA scammers. 

Also, I know about domestic violence. I am a working professional in the healthcare field. My point is putting in multiple easy steps long before DV becomes the issue. 

1. Fair warning to petitioners

2. Increased background checks

3. Fairness in adjudication for the US CItizen (removal of hearsay evidence, stringency on emotional abuse, expert testimony on physical abuse, US Citizen option to plead his/her side of the case)

4. Increased awareness to beneficiaries as well about DV and risk of deportation for fraud!

Also, you have extrapolated the entire gamut of DV statistics across the entire population of the US to the beneficiary pool. That is not a fair comparison. 

And yes, if you commit DV then you should be made bankrupt! (Surely, I jest...)

Obviously this subject strikes a nerve with you.  I just find your solution mind boggling lay expensive as many feel fees are already too high.  How is it not a fair comparison?  It's the average statistics in the United States.  You said that you found VAWA for all of those women unlikely, well I disagree.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

Obviously this subject strikes a nerve with you.  I just find your solution mind boggling lay expensive as many feel fees are already too high.  How is it not a fair comparison?  It's the average statistics in the United States.  You said that you found VAWA for all of those women unlikely, well I disagree.

You may disagree. Be we should both agree that DV is horrible, but so is fraud. It is also my opinion that this should not be a pathway to a green card based on questionable evidence and allegations. 

You come as a tourist you then go home.

You come as a student you then go home.

You come for a job that is completed you then go home.

You come for a relationship that fails you then go home.

If you want to stay in the USA, you have to show other redeeming qualities and reasons for staying. Just my opinion. 

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.