clairebear24

Did I just open Visa Packet?

9 posts in this topic

I'm so concerned. I just got my husband's visa packet today and I was so excited to get his passport I kinda opened half of the plastic then I saw the warning. Here are the photos of my husband's packet:

oumu6f.jpg

2gtc2gy.jpg

How did you guys get your passport inside? I'm so scared!

The brown envelope is not to be opened. There will be words to that effect printed in bold on it.

You have to open the envelope that had the passport in it because he needs to present the passport at the airport check in desk to get on the plane.

Did you open the brown envelope? If you did, you need to contact the embassy asap to have it re-sealed.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

The brown envelope is not to be opened. There will be words to that effect printed in bold on it.

You have to open the envelope that had the passport in it because he needs to present the passport at the airport check in desk to get on the plane.

Did you open the brown envelope? If you did, you need to contact the embassy asap to have it re-sealed.

I opened the plastic carrying the envelope. I opened about 1/3 of the plastic but not the envelope, I just opened enough to get the passport but not the brown envelope. Is that okay?

I opened the plastic carrying the envelope. I opened about 1/3 of the plastic but not the envelope, I just opened enough to get the passport but not the brown envelope. Is that okay?

Yes, it is ok. Just don't open the envelope that is sealed and don't detach the paper with the warning. The seal should be underneath that warning paper.

That's fine! See the brown envelope inside the plastic? That's the one you must not open. The plastic outside was just to keep your passport together with that envelope. You're fine!

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

• 2 years later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey guys, not sure if someone will still answer so I thought I'd ask my related query here.

I just received mine today, for immigrant visa.

I only opened the 2GO plastic. Inside is another plastic containing my passport and documents.

The plastic has no tear on it, and is completely sealed. The envelope has one of its corners visible showing the documents inside. Then on that part there is a tore on the "v" part, around an inch. Is this good?

Also, how can I get my passport out because it says I should not open it?

Off topic question: Is the PDOS required? 

APC_0066.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline
On 1/12/2019 at 3:51 AM, chris86 said:

I just received mine today, for immigrant visa.

I only opened the 2GO plastic. Inside is another plastic containing my passport and documents.

The plastic has no tear on it, and is completely sealed. The envelope has one of its corners visible showing the documents inside. Then on that part there is a tore on the "v" part, around an inch. Is this good?

Also, how can I get my passport out because it says I should not open it?

You can open the 2GO packet/see-through plastic, but not that brown packet. The passport shouldn't be in that brown packet.

If you have extra time for a better result, you should contact the embassy and tell them about it so they should tell you what to do and you can get a new one with no tear.

Edited by WaterLeaf

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.