Tivios

Have I Jumped the Gun? Sent Packet 3 Prematurely?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Received my NOA2 on August 24th, called the NVC today and they said they'd received my file and gave me my Case Number.

Thinking having my Case Number meant I could/should, I went online and filled out and submitted my Packet 3, including the email to the Montreal Consulate. Finished that and crawled into bed (why is it you have Eureka! moments when you put your head on your pillow?), it suddenly dawned on me that it's highly unlikely the consulate has my file yet.

So, have I jumped the gun, sent the Packet 3 requirements too early?

If so, is this a problem? Will I have to resend? Or will they simply match up what I sent them to my file once it arrives?

Also, anyone know how long it's currently taking from submission of Packet 3 to receipt of Packet 4? Today's confirmation email states, "The review process for mail received is eight weeks... please do not contact us for an update of your file before eight weeks), but like everyone here, I'm sure hoping it's a heap faster than that.

And current time from receipt of Packet 4 to consulate appointment?

Super duper hoping for a January 20th wedding, am I being too optimistic?

Thanks,

Beth

Edited by Tivios

K-1 Application

NOA1: June 23, 2016

NOA2: August 24, 2016

Arrived NVC: August 30, 2016

Called NVC and Received Case Number: September 6, 2016

Submitted Packet 3 Online: September 6, 2016

Received Application Completed Email: September 16, 2016

Consulate Appointment: November 2, 2016 (132 days)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I dont have an answer to but that we are still waiting on our NVC mail, while we already got our noa 2 almost 2 weeks prior to you guys i.e. on the 15th. And we are hoping to get married on 16th November lol.

I dont think you are being too optimistic with the dates I think it fits perfectly in your scenario, but ofcourse keep it flexible cause you never know! :)

Also, it takes a few days to send the approved petition to the consulate. You can call the Montreal Consulate and clear your doubts maybe?!

Sorry if my reply was of no use lol!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I just thought I'd update.

Received the email today saying I could book my consulate appointment, which I did. November 2. It would seem inadvertently sending my DS-160 prematurely didn't hurt. Looks like our hoped-for January 20th wedding should be a go. :)

K-1 Application

Timeline

Congratulations! This is great news for you.

My fiancee checked our status online and was surprised to see that our visa had been approved. It only took about 40 days!!! We are now waiting for our NOA2 to arrive in the mail. Hopefully it will be here in the next couple of days. We want to be ready for the next step. I would like to ask some questions .... did you need to call NVC to get your case number? is the case number not on the notification that they sent? when you filled out the form online do you also send in the financial information by mail? how many tax years are needed to send in? I have read some places that is one year, but other places it says 3 years...? Do we call the consulate in Canada to book my appointment?

We are very excited that our process seems to be going a lot quicker than we thought. I know there is still a wait period for the interview and probably could take a couple of months. We are also planning a January wedding, as we were anticipating my interview to be sometime in December, maybe over Christmas.

Any advice/answers is appreciated.

Thank you so much. Good luck with everything!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the K-1 Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Hi CindyMaeve,

Once we received our NOA2 (Aug. 24), it took about a week for our file to arrive at the NVC (Aug. 30) I called three times within that week to find out if it had arrived (they were very pleasant to speak with each time) and whether or not it had a Case Number. First call, it hadn't arrived. Second call, it had arrived the day before, but not assigned a Case Number. Third call (Sept. 6) gave me the Case Number. Once I had the Case Number I went ahead and filled out and submitted my DS-160 that very day, thinking I was supposed to. I must've had a major brain blip, because I knew I was supposed to either wait 'til I'd heard from them or minimally give it a week or so to travel from NVC to the Consulate. Ten days (yesterday) from sending the DS-160, I received notice that I could book my consulate appointment, which I did (for Nov. 2). I have to call the physician's office first thing Monday to book my medical, missed them by 10 minutes on Friday.

So yes, call the NVC to get your Case Number and also ensure you give them your email address so they can notify you of further developments by email rather than snail mail.

Once you have your Case Number, you're technically supposed to wait before filling out the DS-160 online as mentioned above. Once you've filled out the DS-160, you have to write them an email and attach and send the following:

1. Confirmation Receipt from Form DS-160 with Barcode

2. Scanned copy of completed Packet 3 checklist for K-1 Fianceé Visa
3. Colour-scanned copy of the biographic data page of applicant's passport.

After you do that, you must wait for an email from them indicating you may now book and pay for your consulate appointment online. You cannot book your consulate appointment until you receive the notice indicating you may. And you may not book the medical appointment until after you've booked your consulate appointment.

When booking my consulate appointment online yesterday, I noticed most Wednesdays in November had available spots. There may have been other days as well, but I just booked the earliest date, so my mind was focussed on that.

For a K1 Visa, you don't send the tax info (form I-134 with supporting documents) via email or snail mail, you have to have it in your file to take to your consulate appointment. We have 3 years worth of tax returns ready to go, as well as info from our banking institutions, pay stubs, letter from employer, etc. Be sure to read what you need and have it ready to show the consulate officer.

Hope that helps and good luck! :)

K-1 Application

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.