vorpalswrd

Polyamory and K-1 visas

191 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
In my researching I have also asked myself "Is this the only way?"
Love does not have to be proven. Only that one has a bona fide relationship, is eligible, that one intends to marry within 90 days, and that the applicant wont become a public charge. The marriage itself must not be entered into for immigration purposes.

HI Aussie!

Which begs the question - what is the difference between love and a bona fide relationship?? Is there one?

She already has lover #1 here already & does not want to marry him. She wants to bring lover #2 to America and the only way she can do it is to have him marry/immigrate?

Fine lines here... :huh:

I'm not judging except that she wants 2 lovers & the only way she can do it is a marriage of convenience...which could get into tricky immigration legality stuff.

The bottom line is the interviewer will judge. if she gets that far in the process. She has a long up hill climb to prove to them the same things we have to prove to them. and as you know it is hard enough for us.

Love does not have to be proven. Only that one has a bona fide relationship, is eligible, that one intends to marry within 90 days, and that the applicant wont become a public charge. The marriage itself must not be entered into for immigration purposes.

HI Aussie!

Which begs the question - what is the difference between love and a bona fide relationship?? Is there one?

She already has lover #1 here already & does not want to marry him. She wants to bring lover #2 to America and the only way she can do it is to have him marry/immigrate?

Fine lines here... :huh:

I'm not judging except that she wants 2 lovers & the only way she can do it is a marriage of convenience...which could get into tricky immigration legality stuff.

e.g. an arranged marriage. A marriage can be for other reasons than for love. For immigration purposes one only has to have a bona fide relationship/marriage. There is a difference, just not to the many of us that only see marriage being for love.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

e.g. an arranged marriage. A marriage can be for other reasons than for love. For immigration purposes one only has to have a bona fide relationship/marriage.

But this is most definitely not an arranged marriage...

No its not, I merely initially posted a reply to markny in regards to his comment about having to prove love. One only has to show that they have a bona fide relationship etc etc. and that the marriage is not entered into for immigration purposes alone.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Timeline
e.g. an arranged marriage. A marriage can be for other reasons than for love. For immigration purposes one only has to have a bona fide relationship/marriage.

But this is most definitely not an arranged marriage...

No its not, I merely initially posted a reply to markny in regards to his comment about having to prove love. One only has to show that they have a bona fide relationship etc etc. and that the marriage is not entered into for immigration purposes alone.

I hear ya! ;)

I'm confused as to what a bona fide relationship is, if without love &/or an arranged marriage? Just trying to get the facts. :)

Edited by devilette

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
99% of you have been very helpful

Im honored to be the 1 percentile. ;)

you're .5%! :whistle:

She called me out for suggesting she was a troll. I get .5% as well.

fair enough :)

i want a percent. but i dont know what one.... the whole matter is moot. USCIS will ask too many questions, income, no income.... who will pay.. who will sleep on the right who will sleep on the left.. wow... What will he say to the interviewer? lol... is this a new tv show?

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline
And then there's that pesky Question #14 on Page 3 of Form I-485.................

Do you plan to practice polygamy? My answer is no....and actually even if I DID marry my U.S. boyfriend as well it would be polyandry. But none of that matters as I am not. But it is interesting that they asked...

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline
Since you are from Pennsylvania, if your current living arrangement was established before Jan 05, you ARE married.

According to PA law the "marriage" would have had to be established by 1-1-05. We have not been living together for that long.

Filed: Timeline
And then there's that pesky Question #14 on Page 3 of Form I-485.................

Do you plan to practice polygamy? My answer is no....and actually even if I DID marry my U.S. boyfriend as well it would be polyandry. But none of that matters as I am not. But it is interesting that they asked...

Learn something new every day! I wrongly assumed polygamy was the term for women as well.

polyandry [(pol-ee-an-dree)]

A practice in which women have two or more husbands at the same time. A rare form of polygamy, polyandry is practiced by only a few cultures. (Compare monogamy.)

po·lyg·a·my [puh-lig-uh-mee]

–noun

1. the practice or condition of having more than one spouse, esp. wife, at one time. Compare bigamy (def. 1), monogamy (def. 1).

2. Zoology. the habit or system of mating with more than one individual, either simultaneously or successively.

Edited by devilette

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.