frogman

Bad Credit in Thailand

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading on VJ for quite a while and never have registered. I finally decided to register tonight. I am sorry I haven't registered earlier. My fiancee' will be coming to California on a K-1 Visa in the next couple of months and I have a question. Actually she asked me about this. I thought I would post it on VJ and see if anyone would know about this?

What happens if my fiancee buys her air ticket on her Visa and then comes to the US and "forgets" to pay the bill? Yes, yes, I know this is not the right and I am sure some of you will say "shame, shame on you". And you are right, I should not be even thinking of doing something like this. It is against my better judgement. However, if she buys the ticket on here Visa, doesn't pay the bill, and comes to the states, what is the worse that could happen? I mean, after all she will be in the US and not go back to live in Thailand again. Would the Thai goverment get involved? Would she have any problems in the future visiting Thailand? If anyone has any information or experiance with this please reply. I also welcome your opinions, which I am sure I will get a few. :whistle:

The Frogman

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

As far as I'm concerned, the Thailand government careless about your fiance credit. You'll be fine.

The issuing bank will probably write off that bad debt, and she can't use that card anymore.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading on VJ for quite a while and never have registered. I finally decided to register tonight. I am sorry I haven't registered earlier. My fiancee' will be coming to California on a K-1 Visa in the next couple of months and I have a question. Actually she asked me about this. I thought I would post it on VJ and see if anyone would know about this?

What happens if my fiancee buys her air ticket on her Visa and then comes to the US and "forgets" to pay the bill? Yes, yes, I know this is not the right and I am sure some of you will say "shame, shame on you". And you are right, I should not be even thinking of doing something like this. It is against my better judgement. However, if she buys the ticket on here Visa, doesn't pay the bill, and comes to the states, what is the worse that could happen? I mean, after all she will be in the US and not go back to live in Thailand again. Would the Thai goverment get involved? Would she have any problems in the future visiting Thailand? If anyone has any information or experiance with this please reply. I also welcome your opinions, which I am sure I will get a few. :whistle:

The Frogman

I do not have any useful info to share with you as to what could happen if your fiancee did that on purpose.

But, pardon me for saying this... I do not understand why someone would think about doing something (or actually do it) that might come back and bite you when you least expect.

When you do not know what could happen in the future (and if something happens, it would not be good for you and your family), it is the reason why you shouldn't do it now.

Let your conscience tell her "don't do it."

:) Best regards

Click here to look at my K-1 journey and AOS adventure on my profile -- signature & story tab...

----------------------------------------------------

973181_1238682260.jpg

Check out our dog's blog here.

My ROC Adventure:

January 13, 2010----------Mailed out I-751 to VSC

January 15, 2010----------Package delivered

January 19, 2010----------NOA

January 21, 2010----------Check cashed

February 17, 2010---------Biometrics

April 8, 2010----------------Card production ordered

April 19, 2010---------------Card received in the mail

The Most Powerful Force in Life is Love

1095_thumb.gif1332_thumb.gif807_thumb.gif

It depends on the laws of the country. Although laws in Thailand have no jurisdiction in the US, they can be enforced if your fiancee was to ever return to the country. It might also depend on who you "forget" to pay. Some might use violence to collect the debt. If they cant get it from your finance, they might go after her family.

As convenient as it may seem, it may come back to bite you.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I just want to add one small bit about Thailand, and Cambodia. They are notorious business men. I known people who got hurt by not being able to pay debt. Be careful.

Could you imagine what American businesses would be like if they were able to implement violence as a collection method? With as many people here that purposely put themselves into serious debt, nearly 98% of the US population would be gone! I agree with you on this one. If she has family there, she could be putting them at serious risk. Different country, different rules. In life, nothing is free. EVERYONE pays sooner or later. This is not a good way to start off your marriage having to worry about something like this. decapcheer.gif

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

This question is wrong on so many levels that I can't possibly give a serious reply.

David and Pu's Timeline

10/20/2006 Submitted I129F to TSC

10/23/2006 Transferred to CSC

10/26/2006 NOA1 sent snail mail

11/13/2006 Received NOA1 - (Late due to my changing residences on 11/1. FYI, move before you file!)

11/13/2006 Called Customer Service to change address

11/29/2006 Touched!

12/02/2006 Received verification of Change of Address - snail mail

01/10/2007 Bought ticket to visit Pu on Valentines Day!

01/17/2007 NOA2!! via email

01/29/2007 NVC Left - Headed for Bangkok!

02/07/2007 Packet 3 mailed from US Embassy!

02/10/2007 Packet 3 received

02/20/2007 Packet 3 mailed (EMS Next Day)

02/21/2007 Packet 3 Received at Embassy (no signature)

03/06/2007 Received response from Embassy - Packet 4 mailed 02/28/07. Interview scheduled 5/16/2007!

05/16/2007 Interview. Embassy requests passport amended. Luckily the turnaround time is two days in Bangkok.

05/21/2007 Pu returns to Embassy with new passport, visa granted. Visa issued the following day.

05/26/2007 Pu arrives in USA!

05/30/2007 Married!

06/26/2007 Overnighted AOS petition to Chicago Lockbox

06/27/2007 AOS petition delivered to Chicago lockbox, signed for by V Bustamante

Save your fiance (and relatives) some potential hassle and buy the ticket for her if she is struggling to find the fare herself.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I don't know in Thailand, but if it is in Indonesia, they might at least harass & threaten the family left behind.

I would not do that to my family if I were her.

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
Save your fiance (and relatives) some potential hassle and buy the ticket for her if she is struggling to find the fare herself.

LOL Thanks for saying that.Weird that no one said the obvious up to this point :wacko:

~ AOS Journey ~

03/08/2007: AOS/EAD sent

03/16/2007: NOA AOS/EAD

03/21/2007: Touched

04/05/2007: Biometrics

04/09/2007: Touched

04/11/2007: Case transferred to CSC

05/16/2007: Case pending at CSC

05/17/2007: AOS Touched

05/24/2007: EAD Touched

05/29/2007: EAD Approved (82 days)

06/19/2007: AOS Approved (93 days)

I can't condone pre-meditated grand larceny. Thais do believe in Karma too..... remind her of that.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Timeline

frogman,

With regard to the debt owed to the bank on the Visa card, while it may be a Thai bank that issued the card Visa is a franchise out of the USA. I do not know if the record of the bad debt could get back to the USA via the Visa network or not.

With regard to owing a bank money in general, my wife had stopped making payments on the mortgage to her shophouse shortly before she came to the USA. She was 2-1/2 years in arrears on our last visit to Thailand when we decided to clear up the debt. We had a bit of procedural difficulty at the bank's main office in Bangkok because the paperwork had been sent off-site somewhere for collection or repossession and had to be retrieved, but we were able to settle the debt for the amount of the outstanding principal balance - accumulated interest and penalties were forgiven. Frankly, I think things worked out much better and easier than had we been dealing with a US bank, which would have long since repossessed the property. Sometimes a lax banking system can have its' advantages.

Yodrak

Hello Everyone,

What happens if my fiancee buys her air ticket on her Visa and then comes to the US and "forgets" to pay the bill? Yes, yes, I know this is not the right and I am sure some of you will say "shame, shame on you". And you are right, I should not be even thinking of doing something like this. It is against my better judgement. However, if she buys the ticket on here Visa, doesn't pay the bill, and comes to the states, what is the worse that could happen? I mean, after all she will be in the US and not go back to live in Thailand again. Would the Thai goverment get involved? Would she have any problems in the future visiting Thailand? If anyone has any information or experiance with this please reply. I also welcome your opinions, which I am sure I will get a few.

The Frogman

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.