thesnowman

Denied driving licence

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I have just past my driving test, but they wont give me a driving licence. I have sent off for my EAD and greencard, but only at the beginning of Jan and havent received them yet. They are stating that my I-94 record states that I am K1 status until 10 Jan 07, which has since past. They want to see my greencard, which of course I wont get for a while. Are they allowed to do this or is this a mistake on there part. I performed my test Kansas city, Missouri.

Help anyone

Don't you have a UK drivers licence?

Why not use that until they're willing to issue a US one?

Because, if it's like Georgia, it's only as good as the validity of the I-94. My husband, being Canadian, had a perfectly good and valid driver's permit...but was not permitted to drive on it past the I-94 expiry.

Oh great, GA that's where I'm heading. Another joyful surprise.

Good to know enough time in advance, thanks for that :thumbs:

Better try scheduling the DV in between getting the SS card and sending out the AOS application, and seeking AP and.....

The whole process K-1 through AOS is just a ride of joy, sometimes I wonder why on earth somebody would want to go through this process.(well if it wasn't for her then I'd never want to move over but that's another story :) )

Welcome to Georgia...in advance. :) It was 91 degrees here today. March...and it was 91 degrees. My husband turned on the AC today.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Oh my,

I clicked the Pennsylvania DMV link, and it says "proof of US Citizenship" is required for a DL. Is this possible?

Omer grew up in Istanbul, and doesn't drive, perhaps he should learn and get a Turkish license before coming, and then it will be valid?

I hope so....

K-1

July 27 2006 Met/Fell in love on a sailing trip in Turkey

March 2 2007 Mailed I-129F Overnight Express

March 15 2007 NOA2 e-mail

March 21 2007 spoke with NVC- case mailed today (via DHL) to Ankara

March 28 2007 Packet 3 sent...(to me?) waiting

NEVER RECEIVED Packet 3- downloaded from Ankara website

May 14, 2007 Packet 3 sent to Ankara Embassy

June 13 2007 interview

May 21 appeal approved- interview rescheduled for 5 July 2007

5 July 2007 interview!

July 10- Visa in hand!!!

September 26 2007- Omer arrives JFK POE

November 23 2007- Married!

AOS

February 23 2008 Finally sent AOS to Chicago

March 4 2008 NOA1 for all 3 AOS documents (rcvd from Missouri Center?)

March 26 Biometrics

March 28 EAD touch

March 29 RFE- Birth Cert. translation :(

April 8- RFE received; case resumed processing (at National Benefits Center)

April 11- Case transferred to California Service Center

April 29 - EAD and AP approved... finally honeymoon in Mexico!

May 29- AOS approved e-mail received!!!!!!

June 7- Greencard arrived in mail!

My husband wasn't even allowed to get a CA ID without having either his greencard, EAD, or I-94 that was good for another 60 days when applying. You just have to wait for EAD or GC. Good luck.

True... California has an official list of documents they will accept, and NOA is not on the list. On the other hand, out of state/country license is valid as long as you are not a resident...

By the way, there is an article about the Real ID act in last issue of "The Economist". Here is one paragraph of it:

On January 25th Maine became the first state to revolt. Its legislature passed a resolution refusing to implement the Real ID Act with near unanimous support. On March 8th, Idaho approved a similar bill. Two dozen other states have measured pending that question the act or oppose it outright.

It's nice to know that sanity sometimes prevails.

Timeline

I just can't believe the only thing they will accept- is:

1. A USA birth certificate with raised seal

2. Certificate of naturalization

3. US passport.

This is incredible- it could be years before he gets any of the above. He will definitely learn to drive now in Turkey!

(Althought the thought scares me- it's like the #1 or 2 cause of death there!)

I think I'll ask to go to the countryside to learn :)

K-1

June 13 2007 interview

5 July 2007 interview!

July 10- Visa in hand!!!

AOS

March 26 Biometrics

March 28 EAD touch

3. US passport.

This can't be true, but you are right - this is what the website says. Note that a non-citizen CAN get a state ID! I think that whoever prepared the webpage made a mistake, that's all. They can't deny licenses to LPRs, after all!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iceland
Timeline

3. US passport.

This is incredible- it could be years before he gets any of the above. He will definitely learn to drive now in Turkey!

(Althought the thought scares me- it's like the #1 or 2 cause of death there!)

I think I'll ask to go to the countryside to learn :)

Ok, so this topic got me interested(why I do not know!!! :blink: )

But here is a link for you to the PA DMV:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/licensing_master/identity.shtml

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_residents/d...r_license.shtml

Check these out

--

See my Profile -> Signature&Story -> Story for further timeline info.

I-131 AP - Status: Completed (Expires Nov. 2008)

2007-September-18 - Mailed to Chicago

2007-November-16 - Application Approved

I-485 AOS - Status: Completed

2007-September-20 - Delivered in Chicago

2007-September-25 - Date of NOA1 for Application

MORE DETAILED TIMELINE INFO MY PROFILE UNDER "SIGNATURE & STORY"

2008-January-31 - Green Card Production Ordered

2008-February-01 - Welcome Notice Mailed

I-765 EAD - Status: Completed (Expires Nov. 2008)

2007-November-20 - Application Approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
I have just past my driving test, but they wont give me a driving licence. I have sent off for my EAD and greencard, but only at the beginning of Jan and havent received them yet. They are stating that my I-94 record states that I am K1 status until 10 Jan 07, which has since past. They want to see my greencard, which of course I wont get for a while. Are they allowed to do this or is this a mistake on there part. I performed my test Kansas city, Missouri.

Help anyone

Don't you have a UK drivers licence?

Why not use that until they're willing to issue a US one?

Because, if it's like Georgia, it's only as good as the validity of the I-94. My husband, being Canadian, had a perfectly good and valid driver's permit...but was not permitted to drive on it past the I-94 expiry.

Oh great, GA that's where I'm heading. Another joyful surprise.

Good to know enough time in advance, thanks for that :thumbs:

Better try scheduling the DV in between getting the SS card and sending out the AOS application, and seeking AP and.....

The whole process K-1 through AOS is just a ride of joy, sometimes I wonder why on earth somebody would want to go through this process.(well if it wasn't for her then I'd never want to move over but that's another story :) )

Welcome to Georgia...in advance. :) It was 91 degrees here today. March...and it was 91 degrees. My husband turned on the AC today.

Georgia is vicious...on my way to Tampa once I had a layover at Hartfield Jackson and we were in a hard stand - had to walk from the plane to the terminal in the hot sun and they had tents for the personnel and the heat was TERRIBLE. I mean, FL was hot for me at the time, I could NOT believe how awful Atlanta was.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Timeline

Thank you those links were SO helpful. It appears he can apply with a SS card, and proof of residency.

I am relieved :thumbs:

K-1

June 13 2007 interview

5 July 2007 interview!

July 10- Visa in hand!!!

AOS

March 26 Biometrics

March 28 EAD touch

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Have to agree with the above poster. It was the same for my husband. EAD or Green Card. Without either of those, no driver's permit.

Georgia did not transfer your Canadian license? Did your husband have to take a written exam and driving test? My husband is still driving on his Canadian license but it is sad because I am still driving on my New York license. I moved to Georgia in August. We will get it together this week!

12/29/06-entered USA

1/03/07 Married

AOS JOURNEY BEGINS.....

1/4/07-mailed AOS/EAD

1/5/07-AOS/EAD received at Chicago Lockbox

1/13/07-NOA 1 (dated 1/9/07)

1/15/07-AOS/EAD touched

1/16/07-touched

1/22/07-touched

1/23/07-email stating rfe is coming :(

1/24/07-AOS/EAD touched

1/28/07-AOS touched

1/30/07-Biometrics appointment

1/31/07- mail RFE to Missouri

2/1/07-AOS/EAD touched

2/6/07-Processing on case resumes!!!

2/16/07-Transferred to California Service Center

2/20/07-Touched

2/26/07-Case pending at California Service Center

2/27/07-touched

3/2/07-touched

3/5/07-touched

3/8/07-touched

3/8/07-GREEN CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!! My wonderful birthday gift

3/14/07-Green card in hands

Note to self...... Lift conditions 12/08

Timeline
Have to agree with the above poster. It was the same for my husband. EAD or Green Card. Without either of those, no driver's permit.

Georgia did not transfer your Canadian license? Did your husband have to take a written exam and driving test? My husband is still driving on his Canadian license but it is sad because I am still driving on my New York license. I moved to Georgia in August. We will get it together this week!

No, they wouldn't transfer his Cdn license. We were advised by the DMV personnel to get an International Drivers Permit from the AAA...which is NOT correct information 'cos the AAA website says their permits are for driving in other countries other than the US. Oh well, he's got it now, after the EAD. He had to take the written and driving test, btw.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

No, they wouldn't transfer his Cdn license. We were advised by the DMV personnel to get an International Drivers Permit from the AAA...which is NOT correct information 'cos the AAA website says their permits are for driving in other countries other than the US. Oh well, he's got it now, after the EAD. He had to take the written and driving test, btw.

Thank you! That really sucks because I just moved from New York. New York would have simply transferred his Canadian license. I think it is stupid that he has to take the written test and driving test again!

12/29/06-entered USA

1/03/07 Married

AOS JOURNEY BEGINS.....

1/4/07-mailed AOS/EAD

1/5/07-AOS/EAD received at Chicago Lockbox

1/13/07-NOA 1 (dated 1/9/07)

1/15/07-AOS/EAD touched

1/16/07-touched

1/22/07-touched

1/23/07-email stating rfe is coming :(

1/24/07-AOS/EAD touched

1/28/07-AOS touched

1/30/07-Biometrics appointment

1/31/07- mail RFE to Missouri

2/1/07-AOS/EAD touched

2/6/07-Processing on case resumes!!!

2/16/07-Transferred to California Service Center

2/20/07-Touched

2/26/07-Case pending at California Service Center

2/27/07-touched

3/2/07-touched

3/5/07-touched

3/8/07-touched

3/8/07-GREEN CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!! My wonderful birthday gift

3/14/07-Green card in hands

Note to self...... Lift conditions 12/08

Timeline

Thank you! That really sucks because I just moved from New York. New York would have simply transferred his Canadian license. I think it is stupid that he has to take the written test and driving test again!

I agree. Not only that, it took us 6 hours for the whole frickin process - from start to finish. Thank the gods they are open on Saturdays. Depends on who you get to help you as to the attitude you'll get - we went to the DDS in Gainesville GA. The guy who talked to us copped an attitude immediately when he found out Joel is a recent K1. *still simmers thinking about it* It wasn't just us...he obviously had a problem with *anyone* who is an immigrant. The German girl behind us got his attitude as well. We had to wait *six* hours for the tests and to get his license. Sheesh. Unbelievable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.