ParabolaEulogy

Which health coverage is the most affordable when adjusting status?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Dear all,

I currently do not have any health insurance here, which scares my family back home. I am to marry my USC husband in 3 weeks, and would like to know what the most affordable health insurance coverage would be for me. He already has his own plan through his work, but he said that adding me on his plan would cost too much (in a way, he is covered, I am not). So do I qualify for Obamacare or Marketplace? Which one is the cheapest when you reside in California?

Thanks so much in advance for enlightening me.

Mary

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

"Obamacare" is the affordable care act aka the marketplace... it's all the same thing. you can apply but if your soon to be spouse has insurance they're required by the law to add you to their coverage. they'll be able to add you because they qualify for a life changing event. If the income of the household puts the family in a different tax bracket then you all could possibly qualify for secondary coverage with Medicaid or some form of the coverage... (Medicaid doesn't mean you're on welfare or on ant government assistance program) I know about this because before moving to Nevada I worked for New York State of Health marketplace and learned a lot about this.

Bedilu & Jennifer (L)

The honest truth is, you're going to have sticker shock. It is in your spouse's best interests to add you to their healthcare plan via workplace, if they can. Barring that your other options is to apply through the state or federal exchange. You will qualify for these after marriage and after filing for AOS. Since you have a state exchange, you'd go through them. See more information in my signature regarding immigrants and qualifying documents.

That does not mean it is free or even cheaper than it would be on your spouse's plan.

Your other option is to buy health insurance privately by searching for available insurers in your area and find a plan that work best for you. Many of these plans are the exact plans you can find on the state and federal exchange. Again, you're going to find the cost is going to be about the same as being on a spouse's plan, perhaps even more.

Our plan costs $400+ a month, for the both of us.

Weigh the options with your spouse, because either way someone is going to have to pay for it while you are unable to work.

Otherwise, you can of course choose to go without health insurance and pay the yearly tax penalty. Many decide to do this, because the cost is cheaper than a few premiums, but obviously that doesn't provide you peace of mind or reduced cost of care if you need it.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to Moving to the US and Your New Life in America - topic is about getting insurance ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Dear all,

I currently do not have any health insurance here, which scares my family back home. I am to marry my USC husband in 3 weeks, and would like to know what the most affordable health insurance coverage would be for me. He already has his own plan through his work, but he said that adding me on his plan would cost too much (in a way, he is covered, I am not). So do I qualify for Obamacare or Marketplace? Which one is the cheapest when you reside in California?

Thanks so much in advance for enlightening me.

Mary

it would be nice if he can add you to his insurance. you are a couple now and that would show immigration you are in this together. As soon as we got married my husband put me on his insurance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you very much for all your replies. We are trying to find a solution, and it seems that me being added to his own plan is indeed cheaper than the other options.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.