pax

Landlord/Apartment Question

44 posts in this topic

I'm sure other VJers have been in this situation, so here goes...

I moved into my current apartment in October. When I first looked at the place, I told the landlords (they're an older married couple who spend half the year in Florida and half about 20 minutes from where I live) that Ewen would be moving in with me sometime in the spring. I asked if this was all right, and if I would incur a rent increase when he moved in. They said it was fine and I could continue to pay the same amount of rent. I pay the utilities for the apartment (phone, Internet, electric including heat, and water), except sewer and trash.

So fast-forward to now. I'll be mailing my rent check for April this weekend, and I'm wondering if I should remind my landlords about Ewen moving in. I don't want them to "change their minds" about the rent increase, but I don't want them to feel as though I'd snuck about on them, either. I've had very little contact with them since I moved in; the hot-water heater needed replacing and they had it replaced, and since then, I've just mailed the check every month. They might still be in Florida, for all I know; one of their children takes care of their properties while they're away. I do have a lease, if that makes any difference.

What would y'all do?

Edited by pax

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I would send a registered letter to them explaining it to them again and that way you got your butt covered!

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

09-06-08 - NOA1 in the mail (dated 08/29???)

10-09-08 - Biometrics (Touched)

12-16-08 - Email "Card production ordered"

12-24-08 - Santa came and brought my present (Greencard in the mail!)

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Filed: Timeline

Are you looking to add Ewen to your lease? Might want to do that if you are looking to stay there a while longer. In that case, you'd have to let them know, of course. If you're just looking to ride out the last few months of a year's lease and don't really need Ewen added on, just have him move in and then look for a place together once your lease expires.

That's what I'd do...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

pax... i think it is a good idea to remind them that ewen is coming... but, to have some way to document that you DID indeed tell them... i would make a copy of the letter... and send it registered mail... that way they have to sign for it to receive it... good luck

lynne

Tho' lovers be lost, love shall not... and death shall have NO dominion!

http://www.geocities.com/pulpi33/A1.htm

114959908992789.gif

The will of God will never take you,

to where the grace of God will not protect you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I'd let them know in a freindly way that Ewen is moving in. Can you call them? Also ask if they can add Ewen onto the lease if you're going to be there till October (if it's a year long lease)...No harm in trying.

Plus you sound like you've never given them any hassle before, so it's not like you are always bugging them with troubles. You'll be fine :)

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Are you looking to add Ewen to your lease? Might want to do that if you are looking to stay there a while longer. In that case, you'd have to let them know, of course. If you're just looking to ride out the last few months of a year's lease and don't really need Ewen added on, just have him move in and then look for a place together once your lease expires.

That's what I'd do...

Nah, we'll be moving out once the lease is up.

Here's the thing: before I moved into this place, I was sharing a house with two other people in a different part of town. It started off that it was just my first housemate in the house. Then he brought me in, and then we brought in a third housemate for the summer; she left when she started school again in the fall. The landlord got really cranky about it and wanted to jack up the rent even after the third gal moved out. My original housemate didn't have a lease, but had gotten the same verbal permission from the landlord for me and for the third housemate. Again, we paid all the utilities for the house except trash and sewer.

So I'm a little gun-shy, even though I've already told the landlords about the situation. My neighbors are very nice, but they're all single, middle-aged, professional people and I'm by far the youngest person in the building. I don't want them, or my landlords, to get the impression that I'm going to move my boyfriend in and start having wild parties or something. I think it would be the responsible thing to remind them, but I'm afraid of having the rent raised; I live in a nice building in a nice neighborhood, even though my apartment itself is a smallish walk-up.

I'd let them know in a freindly way that Ewen is moving in. Can you call them? Also ask if they can add Ewen onto the lease if you're going to be there till October (if it's a year long lease)...No harm in trying.

Plus you sound like you've never given them any hassle before, so it's not like you are always bugging them with troubles. You'll be fine :)

No, you're right about that. I've always paid the rent in full and on time, and since the water heater problem, I haven't even spoken to them.

Might the certified/registered letter seem a bit heavy-handed?

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

--Neil Finn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Same situation here. Told them my finace would be coming in a few months, but I wasn't exactly sure of the date. They told me no rent increase, but they would have to run a credit check, etc. on him once he moved.

I still have yet to inform them that he moved in in December.

Planning to move when the lease is up in August though.

See, they won't be able to do a credit check on Ewen...being that he'll have no credit to check! :lol:

--Neil Finn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since you already asked for their approval now I don't see any reason to bring the issue up again. That is unless you told them that you would inform them of his move in date?

((Success))

I don't remember if I did. I only said "sometime in the spring," because when I moved in, we didn't know the exact date yet.

I just don't want my neighbors to see him around and tell the landlords about it, thinking that we're trying to get away with something. Not that I think they would, but I don't trust people as much since my last bad experience (our next-door neighbors complained about us having three people in the house, even though we never had parties or blasted music or even really had much company!). If they said something to the landlords, I wouldn't want the landlords to feel like I'd gone behind their backs.

--Neil Finn

Timeline
See, they won't be able to do a credit check on Ewen...being that he'll have no credit to check! :lol:

if you don't feel comfortable with the registered mail... you could always send them an email (provided that you have an email addy for them)... or, you can just put a note into the envelope with the rent check... i was thinking registered mail because if they did want to raise the rent because of ewen moving in... then, you would have proof that you did supply them with that information...

hmmm... although, they could still say they only received the check and not the letter... but, they did repairs in a timely manner before - so that leads me to at least think that they are good and honest people (the good ol' take on the "innocent 'til proven guilty" kinda thing)...

basically, do what you feel comfortable with... if you just want to send a note telling them that ewen will be here soon... i think it shows good points on your side that you continue to make them aware of the circumstances... maybe a letter stating that he will be here and moving in on such & such a date... and that you would like to inquire how that will affect your lease and the rent... and ask them to please respond by letter...

wishing you all the best

lynne

114959908992789.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If he's your fiance, then I don't think it will be a problem. The rent is for the apartment, not per person, so I don't think you need to fear a rent increase. I'd still inform them that your fiance is moving in with you from overseas. I think they will be reasonable.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Okay, here's a note I wrote up:

Dear Mr. and Mrs. [Landlords]:

I hope you enjoyed your winter in Florida! Everything has been very well here.

I just wanted to remind you that my fiancé will be joining me in the apartment on Monday, April 17th, 2006. We had discussed this when I originally moved into the apartment, although I didn’t know the exact date at the time. He’s moving here all the way from Scotland, and we’re both very excited. I’m aware that any change in the sewer billing due to the additional person in the apartment will be my responsibility.

Please feel free to give me a call if you have any questions. I can be reached at my office from 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday-Friday at xxx-xxx-xxxx. At other hours, my cell phone number is yyy-yyy-yyyy.

Thank you,

[pax]

--Neil Finn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

That sounds really good.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Timeline

excellent! send it out pax... and good luck!

114959908992789.gif